HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  http://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  http://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Share | 

Question of the Week #2 10-16-10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jenna
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Hahaha Holley guess I'm bossy & demanding huh? Glad you decided to stick with IF I Say Hallelujah because lyrically it is very beautiful and I agree extremely spiritual.

This song has so many layers to it! If there was one song of Matt's that I could sit down and ask him about it would be If I Say Hallelujah. I want to know what the song means to him and what he was thinking about while writing it. I think the song represents a person who has struggled for a long time but through love they are able to see the sanctity of life again and are crying out their love and thankfulness to God. It's like this person found God again because of love! Does that make sense? Maybe this person went for a long time feeling hopeless, rundown, and angry at God but then they found this amazing person and are feeling what it is like to feel alive again. They finally have realized that being alive and having love and being loved is a gift from God. Hahaha or maybe I am just thinking too much!

Oh and Basschica keeps talking about how amazing this song is recorded. Something about layers and layers of harmonies from Matt and SweetJ! I really want to hear that so I hope we get to hear the studio recording!

Christina should I pick a song for you too? Very Happy

twitter: @JennaSG

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
Jenna
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Quote :
"The clock on the wall keeps the rhythm of my broken heart.
Oh it's pounding the truth to the point that I can't shut it out..."

Mattyfan, that is my absolute favorite line of the song! It is so descriptive and really shows how deep his heartache is!

Back to top Go down
MaryM

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm going to post another favorite lyric of mine from Brand New Day. I didn't listen to this song much when I first heard it, but I have really been listening to it a lot more lately.

What I need is to move on
Be strong and find my own way
And I have seen the sunset
Now I've got to believe
In a brand new day
In a brand new day

I love this song. I love the message of not giving up, finding the strength to move on with your life and finding hope in the future. =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenna
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:30 pm

MaryM wrote:
I'm going to post another favorite lyric of mine from Brand New Day. I didn't listen to this song much when I first heard it, but I have really been listening to it a lot more lately.

Now I've got to believe
In a brand new day
In a brand new day

I love this song. I love the message of not giving up, finding the strength to move on with your life and finding hope in the future. =)

I love, love, and I mean love Brand New Day! It's one of my favorite songs and I don't mean of Matt's music I mean of any artist's songs! oh and those are my favorite lyrics of the song too but how amazing are these...

Quote :
Well I pray for you
Time and time
Will you pray for me?
And I hope you'll find
Someone who
Who can give you what you need
Cause it ain't me

How often do you hear these words in a breakup? I mean those words would break my heart if they were said to me in a breakup but they would also help me heal as well! That whole song is just incredible. So heartbreaking yet hopeful too! Matt's songs take you through every emotion possible in just one song! I really am amazed at how incredible of a song writer he is! I can't wait for more!

Back to top Go down
MaryM

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:44 pm

^ Ahh I love that part too!! I agree that would melt my heart to hear those words. Love it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FTL14Holley

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 am

Jenna...you are never bossy! lol I was glad you picked one for me to concentrate on! Ha!

I love reading everyone's post. Agree with them all. Cool Which is a Cool thing!

Most of Matt's songs take me back to break ups & how I hope they felt about me when we broke up. But definately how I felt after awhile after the breakup. I have a couple of ex-boyfriends to this day that I think of the "what if this would of been different". Don't get me wrong I am very happily married but you still have those feelings. The first loves shape your life and you learn from your mistakes.

Brand New Day, Motel really make me think of those days. You think how can I get through this but you do over time. You think you will never love again. You try to do everything to keep the relationship when you know that you have to move on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethemtigers

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am

Great question...I love all of Matt's songs!

I love "you don't love me, the way that I love you"...and LISA - that's my favorite part of Motel too!

BUt for me for some reason - and I really have no explanation for it...my fav by Matt always has been and always will be "I Miss You Tonight"...I can sing the entire song from start to finish without looking at the lyrics or singing along with Matt. Sometimes when I'm driving down the road, or unloading the dishwasher (lol), bathing...or whatever....I sing "I Miss You Tonight"

"another night of trying to sleep, but who am I kidding, I toss and I turn once again, just like last night and every night....talking to myself is getting me nowhere, I need to sing it to you....

and I"m going out of my mind missing you like crazy
and I'm broken trying to make sense of this wall between us
I know I said I wouldn't call you and swear that I've tried
Well, I can keep playing games or just swallow my pride (LOL - remember this lyric Christina and Holley and Megan Wink
I know I said I didn't need you but baby,oh baby, I lied....I miss you tonight.

The clock on the wall keeps the rhthym of my broken heart, pounding the truth to the point that I can't shut it out, I could never shut it out...thought it would be easy living without you, but I've never been so wrong...

And I'm going out of my mind missing you like crazy.......

Now, tell me what I gotta do to change how this ends...cuz I don't wanna live without you ever again.....

Repeat Chorus....
I MISS YOU TONIGHT!

Maybe because the title along just speaks volumes about my life...I miss seeing Matt perform, I miss meeting all my Matt fans/friends, I miss the ones that I did meet...I miss my family back in Louisiana...I miss my son who is away at college in Alabama..I miss all the years that have come and gone......It just brings tears to my eyes when I sing this song and esp when I hear Matt's sweet voice singing it!

I love you Matty!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Christina

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:55 am

Ok, so even though there are SOOOOO many lyrics that speak to me and relate to me, the one that just popped in my head as I was thinking about Matt was:

"I'm going out of my mind missin' you like crazy..."

And I guess this is because I honestly do miss him when I'm at home and not in Michigan! haha! I have had the best times of my life during all of my trips to Michigan. I'm so thankful for being able to get to know Matt, see his shows, spend time with him, etc. I'm also thankful for all of the wonderful friends that I have made because of Matt. Some of you guys on here and the girls I go to the shows with have really become some of my best friends. I'm glad that we've been able to share special times together!

And yes Holley--- when it started raining during If I Say Hallelujah at the Taste of Kalamazoo, that was so amazing! That was honestly the best show I've been to and the BEST weekend I've had up there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.twitter.com/ImKristinaMarie
lovethemtigers

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 am

Christina wrote:
Ok, so even though there are SOOOOO many lyrics that speak to me and relate to me, the one that just popped in my head as I was thinking about Matt was:

"I'm going out of my mind missin' you like crazy..."

And I guess this is because I honestly do miss him when I'm at home and not in Michigan! haha! I have had the best times of my life during all of my trips to Michigan. I'm so thankful for being able to get to know Matt, see his shows, spend time with him, etc. I'm also thankful for all of the wonderful friends that I have made because of Matt. Some of you guys on here and the girls I go to the shows with have really become some of my best friends. I'm glad that we've been able to share special times together!

And yes Holley--- when it started raining during If I Say Hallelujah at the Taste of Kalamazoo, that was so amazing! That was honestly the best show I've been to and the BEST weekend I've had up there.

LOL You didn't respond to my post!!!! I wrote about I miss you tonight and these same lyrics....but one in particular that holds a hilarious memory of chat nights! Oh, good times!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyMonkie

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:19 am

General statement about all of his lyrics -

I love how most of his songs are about looking forward and not backwards. Life moves on no matter what, and there will be more good times, more bad times, more love, more loss, and just more everything. Life does not revolve around the one momentor a few moments... Keep going forward. Its really motivating music and I just love it Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.twitter.com/_funnymonkie
pasnthru

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:17 pm

I found this very difficult and had to think about if for a while. All of Matt's songs move me in different ways, but the lyrics aren't always the reason. My favorite music is rock and jazz so I'm not always focused on lyrics. I'm just as blown away by a wicked lead guitar or a soulful piano solo as the words being sung. The singer's voice kind of becomes another instrument to me. I'm mesmerized by Matt's voice and would listen to him no matter what words he is singing (I'm not sure half of what Chris Cornell is singing, but I love listening to him too...LOL). The song itself is what first grabs me, and if the lyrics are good too, then that's a bonus.

Matt is a wonderful lyricist and reading his songs are like reading poems, but I have to say that the song whose lyrics I most relate isn't necessarily the one I listen to the most. See You in a Little While makes me think of my dad who passed away a few years ago.

Wish you well as you move on
The nights grow dim now that your gone
I've come to see your no longer with me
And there's no sense to hold on
Said there's no sense to hold on

This takes me back to how hard it was for me to stop trying to make him well, and to accept the fact that he was dying and to let go.

You come to me when I'm asleep
Dreams of you well they, they fill my dreams
You come to me cuz I know
I'll see you again

I still dream about dad a lot and hearing Matt sing about seeing him again makes me feel hopeful too.

But the songs I listen to the most are Brand New Day, This Love Ain't Meant to Be and If I Say Hallelujah. These songs just flat out move me, and the solo piano part in Hallelujah takes my breath away.

Sorry if I took liberties with the question, but if I didn't quit thinking about it and just go ahead and write something I'd miss answering it like I did the first question of the week... Rolling Eyes

I just feel so lucky to be able to support Matt during his journey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sgr91

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but sometimes my real life gets in the way of my "Matt" life.

I realize a lot of people picked these lyrics but I think it speaks to how they can universally touch people.

When you’ve got nothin’ left
Nothin’ to hold on to
You feel the weight of the world
And you feel like it’s comin’ down on you
When you’ve lost everything
Nothin’ that matters to you
You’ve lost your hope and your faith
And you fear it’s too late
And there’s nothin’ to do
Well baby hold on to me
And I’ll be the one you need
Well baby hold on to me
I’ll hold on to you

I think there is always a time in your life when you feel hopeless; you feel like there is nothing to look forward to and things don't look like they will ever improve. These lyrics remind me of those times and how a friend or loved one can help you make it through those moments. My mom was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 54 and died 5 days later. She was the "glue" that held our family together and right after her death I felt like it was my job to somehow hold us together. I couldn't imagine how I could do that. Although I'm sure Matt is referencing a love interest in this song, I think it can apply to anyone who holds you up through a rough time.

It's funny because the first time I heard this song, even before really knowing the lyrics, I was transfixed by it. I then looked over at Jenna who had tears in her eyes. Clearly there is something incredibly touching not only in the lyrics and melody, but in the way Matt delivers the song on stage that hit such a strong chord with so many.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pasnthru

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:18 pm

sgr91 wrote:
I'm a little late to the party, but sometimes my real life gets in the way of my "Matt" life.

I realize a lot of people picked these lyrics but I think it speaks to how they can universally touch people.

When you’ve got nothin’ left
Nothin’ to hold on to
You feel the weight of the world
And you feel like it’s comin’ down on you
When you’ve lost everything
Nothin’ that matters to you
You’ve lost your hope and your faith
And you fear it’s too late
And there’s nothin’ to do
Well baby hold on to me
And I’ll be the one you need
Well baby hold on to me
I’ll hold on to you

I think there is always a time in your life when you feel hopeless; you feel like there is nothing to look forward to and things don't look like they will ever improve. These lyrics remind me of those times and how a friend or loved one can help you make it through those moments. My mom was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 54 and died 5 days later. She was the "glue" that held our family together and right after her death I felt like it was my job to somehow hold us together. I couldn't imagine how I could do that. Although I'm sure Matt is referencing a love interest in this song, I think it can apply to anyone who holds you up through a rough time.

It's funny because the first time I heard this song, even before really knowing the lyrics, I was transfixed by it. I then looked over at Jenna who had tears in her eyes. Clearly there is something incredibly touching not only in the lyrics and melody, but in the way Matt delivers the song on stage that hit such a strong chord with so many.

That was a very powerful post sgr...I'm sorry about your mother and about how you must have felt it was your reponsibility to hold the family together afterwards. I'm grateful to Jenna for maintaining this forum and giving us the opportunity to get to know each other better. We clearly all have a connection in our love of Matt and it can be very comforting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenna
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Wow we have had so many wonderful posts in this thread! Matt has so many incredible fans! It is very heartwarming to read how much Matt's music has touched everyone's lives!

Quote :
Clearly there is something incredibly touching not only in the lyrics and melody, but in the way Matt delivers the song on stage that hit such a strong chord with so many.

Word to this Sgr a million times over! I have been wanting to say this same thought but could never put it into words! Thanks for expressing exactly what I have been feeling perfectly! I knew there was a reason why I love you!

Quote :
Sorry if I took liberties with the question, but if I didn't quit thinking about it and just go ahead and write something I'd miss answering it like I did the first question of the week...

If that is taking liberties then keep doing it because I was very moved by your post! I agree the music is a very integral part of all of Matt's songs...especially the piano solo's, they alone could bring me tears. Then add in his heartwrenching lyrics and I'm sobbing! Matt's passion for the piano is one of the reasons I first fell in love with him. You could see the passion and love he had for it... even injust a minute and a half performance during his idol performances!

Lovethemtigers I am so keeping my fingers crossed that you get to seem him perform again! I Miss You Tonight is one of my favorites too!

Christina I agree I am so happy that I got to meet so many incredible people that I never would have without being a Matt Fan! That is one of the best things about this crazy fandom!

Funnymonkie just word to your entire last post! You summed up everything so perfectly and I agree 100%!

Back to top Go down
Christina

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Darnell -- I did miss your post. SORRY! Smile

Jenny -- I totally agree. There is always a positive message in Matt's songs, even the ones about heartbreak and/or hard times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.twitter.com/ImKristinaMarie
MissLisa1970

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:02 am

My personal fave is Motel

"People come and go
I wonder if you're one of those
A beautiful season or lifetime
I don't mind-no I don't mind
I hope these hours linger on
I turn my head and I know you'll be gone
These 4 walls have heard the same sad song
In our motel. In this motel"

very sexy song...and very brilliant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyMonkie

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:02 am

Me chiming in again...Just wanted to say one moooorrre thing LOL...

Lyrics... although one person put their heart and soul into them, and it means something unique to them... it is always up for interpretation. Anyways... what I wanted to say is about Hold On To You again. I know someone had mentioned how Matt probably had a love interest in mind... and when I think about the song... I actually think about God... some may think this is wierd or odd... lol but let me explain. There is no human that can be there for you in every moment of your life....as much as people may try... there is no one person in the world that can fully understand what you are going through, know how to get through it, or how to make you feel better. However, as I believe, God is always there. Wherever you are, whatever you do, he is there. He knows what you are going through, and can help you through anything in your life, if you just hold on to that faith, and remember that no matter what, he will never leave you. Just thought I would share that this song reminds me of that.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:38 am

Funnymonkie, I also think of God when I listen to Hold On To You. I definitely feel there is an element of God in this song but I can also see it having to do with a love interest. Maybe it could be a little of both? If I Say Hallelujah is another of Matt's songs that I feel is spiritual and has a connection to God. I just know that both songs touch me to my core and make me feel so many different emotions. Really the same is true for me with SeE You In A Little While! I guess it can't be said enough...Matt has so many gifts and for me one of them is his ability to make me feel his songs!

Miss Lisa, Motel is definitely a sexy and brilliant song! I miss it and hope he brings it back soon! That falsetto gets me everytime!

Back to top Go down
FunnyMonkie

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am

Jenna wrote:
Funnymonkie, I also think of God when I listen to Hold On To You. I definitely feel there is an element of God in this song but I can also see it having to do with a love interest. Maybe it could be a little of both? If I Say Hallelujah is another of Matt's songs that I feel is spiritual and has a connection to God. I just know that both songs touch me to my core and make me feel so many different emotions. Really the same is true for me with SeE You In A Little While! I guess it can't be said enough...Matt has so many gifts and for me one of them is his ability to make me feel his songs!

Miss Lisa, Motel is definitely a sexy and brilliant song! I miss it and hope he brings it back soon! That falsetto gets me everytime!

Yeah a love interest is probably what he was thinking of when he wrote it... but I just think of God... idk lol
Back to top Go down
MaryM

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:23 am

I absolutely love reading the responses to this question. It warms my heart to see the impact Matt and his music have had on people. I know his songs have really touched me and it is amazing to see so many others can say the same thing and find comfort in his songs. Matt really does have a gift. I really hope he gets the chance to read these responses. I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenna
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:52 am

I don't know funnymonkie because I also think about God as well! I wish we could sit down with Matt and he could explain all his songs to us and what they mean for him!

Mary I love reading this thread too! I hope more people post their thoughts !

Back to top Go down
Skyler

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm

I've loved reading this thread and I think we all agree that Matt is an incredible songwriter and that all his songs speak to us all in some way or another.

It's interesting what you've all be saying in regards to I'll Hold On To You, the first time I heard this song, I actually thought along the same lines of Funnymonkie and Jenna. Although I'm not a very religious person, more spiritual I guess, but I think although there may not be a physical person able to help you through times, there is always that higher being there guiding you in some form.
It's a really powerful and emotive song.

I know I've already picked my lyrics, but I want to add one more before the next question is posted!!

Quote :
Now I've got to believe
In a brand new day

These lyrics speak to me on so many different levels and again, there is a positive spin and the passion that Matt sings those sets of lyrics always hits me too.
Back to top Go down
FunnyMonkie

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:28 pm

So now we know what Matt's fav lyrics he wrote:

@ImMattGiraud what is your fav lyrics that you've written? it's from 4am...born in the rain, I don't mind getting wet

Smile Glad he answered that was cool to know!
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:14 am

FunnyMonkie wrote:
So now we know what Matt's fav lyrics he wrote:

@ImMattGiraud what is your fav lyrics that you've written? it's from 4am...born in the rain, I don't mind getting wet

Smile Glad he answered that was cool to know!

It was the only music question he did answer so I was happy that he did but of course I want to know why haha!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #2 10-16-10   

Back to top Go down

Question of the Week #2 10-16-10
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2