Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

What I just realized

Go down 
+5
pasnthru
cranberry
graciecat
Riley 9
Lana
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lana

Lana

What I just realized Empty
PostSubject: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 1:08 am

Someone on ONTD_AI posted a thread about pairs that they would like to see happen and Matt/Michael were one of them. They had them down as the "soul guys".

At first I thought, no way, Matt and Michael Johns have ABSOLUTELY nothing in common, then I thought better of it. Here's why:

1.They were both considered the "soulful" singers of their respective groups
2.They were are both considered the "hot" guys of the group
3.They both tried hard to break away from Soul to do more rock songs, and were bashed pretty hard for that by the judges (though MJ has gone back to Soul with his recent Album)
4.They are both the comedians of the group.

That's all I can think of. I didn't watch last season (only watched this season because of Matt) but from what I have seen and heard Of Michael Johns, he does seem like the less attractive, less talented, older version of Matt from season 7. And Matt even lists MJ as one of his Favs.
Were any of you guys who watched season 7 fans of Michael too. Just wondering...
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 1:57 am

I watched season 7, and I'm interested in reading what other pairs were listed on this ONTD_AI site. I saw the similarities in Matt and MJ's situations earlier when Matt was eliminated and then saved at Top 7 week.
Can you post the link to that ONTD_AI page, Lana?

Actually, I have thought about who I would compare this year's contestants to in season 7:

I have seen people comparing Adam to David Cook because they were the "sexy rockers" of the group, and they seem to attract older women (cougars). LOL Razz
I think Kris and Jason Castro might be similar because they're soft-spoken, laid-back guys who play the acoustic guitar. They were also considered the "cute" ones.
I don't know whom to compare Danny to from last year... maybe David Archuleta? They were considered the church-goers type, and they sang a lot of sappy love songs (Ha-ha). Also, they appealed to a lot of older people and kids as well.
Allison has been compared to Carly Smithson, being the rocker chicks, but Allison is much younger (and probably much easier to market) than Carly.
Anoop might be similar to Chikezie, just because they were the R&B guys, but in IMO, were kind of boring in comparison to other contestants.
Scott might actually be similar to Brooke White because they play the piano, but in a more soft pop, adult contemporary, songwriter kind of way [Kind of too bland, IMO.]
Lil isn't really similar to anyone last year, except for Syesha because they were the generic "divas" who never really had a strong, reliable fanbase. Syesha was in the bottom 3 on 4 or 5 different occasions before she was finally eliminated after Top 3 week!
Megan is DEFINITELY this year's version of Kristy Lee Cook. They're both stunningly beautiful young ladies with long blond hair. I think they advanced as far as they did, partly (or entirely) based on their good looks, because MANY viewers complained about their weak vocals. Rolling Eyes Although, I think Kristy is a much better singer than Megan.
That leaves only Michael Sarver, and the only other person left from season 7 is Ramiele Malubay. The only similarity is that they were considered the "weaker" vocalists of their respective seasons, and barely made it to the Top 10 and the tour. But physically, Michael is about a foot taller than Ramiele and outweighs her by about 100 pounds (Ramiele is smaller than the Pocket Idol! LOL)

Finally, I would say that Matt is somewhat similar to Michael Johns. They were considered one of the favorites going into the semi-finals and the finals, but neither came close to making the final 2. I guess they didn't have strong fanbases, despite being very talented. And yes, Michael Johns was voted by his fellow Idols as "The Class Clown" and "The Biggest Flirt", and MJ was infamous for playing practical jokes. I have heard that Michael is also a funny and outgoing guy. Also, since everyone was shocked that MJ was eliminated in top 8 week, people were saying that the judges would have used the save on him, if it had existed in season 7.

IMO, Matt is hotter, more talented and more marketable than Michael Johns, so I hope he has more post-Idol success. Don't get me wrong, I still do like MJ, but I'm definitely a Matt fan first and foremost! LOL cheers Actually, I like most of the songs on Michael's new album. He's just not getting all the publicity and airplay because he is signed to an indie record label. MJ has a soulful voice like Matt, but IMO, Matt is more versatile and has a wider vocal range. I don't think MJ has a good falsetto? confused And Matt is a phenom at the piano! I think MJ plays the piano and guitar as well.

Did I come up with the same comparisons as the posters at ONTD_AI? I bet they agreed with me on Adam, Kris, Allison and Megan at least! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Here's the link for you Riley;

http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_ai/1408082.html

And I also like the David cook/Adam lambert, and Kris Allen/Jason castro pairing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
graciecat

graciecat

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Good analysis Riley! I agree about MJ and Matt--- MJ not so good a falsetto -- can he riff? Not sure. But from what I read he does have a personality similiar to Matty's. I liked MJ and would love to have seen him saved last year. He was my fave then ended up going with Cookie-- but not really crazy about him. This is the first season I have really been "attached" to one Idol from beginning to end of AI and after. sunny
Back to top Go down
cranberry

cranberry

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 5:50 pm

graciecat wrote:
Good analysis Riley! I agree about MJ and Matt--- MJ not so good a falsetto -- can he riff? Not sure. But from what I read he does have a personality similiar to Matty's. I liked MJ and would love to have seen him saved last year. He was my fave then ended up going with Cookie-- but not really crazy about him. This is the first season I have really been "attached" to one Idol from beginning to end of AI and after. sunny
I was watching last year randomly and I liked M.Johns, but wasn´t emotionally invested. Only watched about hundred times that
It´s All Wrong But It´s Allright..This year is a whole other story. Smile
Back to top Go down
pasnthru

pasnthru

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 5:51 pm

I was definitely not an MJ fan last year. He didn't have a fraction of Matt's vocal ability, and IMO everything he sang sounded the same. The thing that drove me the craziest about him was the hand movement he did constantly....bringing his hand up to his face, or the mic all dramatic like. I have a problem with performers (actors and singers) whom I call "affected". They seem like they're playing a role and acting out who they want people to think they are. And I think MJ was trying way too hard to be soulful and sexy. That's one of the reaons I'm so in love with Matt. He's the real deal. He really is soulful and sexy, and doesn't even have to try.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 7:47 pm

pasnthru wrote:
I was definitely not an MJ fan last year. He didn't have a fraction of Matt's vocal ability, and IMO everything he sang sounded the same. The thing that drove me the craziest about him was the hand movement he did constantly....bringing his hand up to his face, or the mic all dramatic like. I have a problem with performers (actors and singers) whom I call "affected". They seem like they're playing a role and acting out who they want people to think they are. And I think MJ was trying way too hard to be soulful and sexy. That's one of the reaons I'm so in love with Matt. He's the real deal. He really is soulful and sexy, and doesn't even have to try.

I totally agree with everything you said. Matt is the real deal. He reminds me of musicians from the past. He is compelled to play music not to be famous but because he loves it. He is so serious about his music and he is definitely a natural. Look how he can hold an arena. This is his first time playing in huge venues and it's like he has been doing it for years. He can hold his own with any professional musician. I knew he would sound amazing on tour but I had no idea how amazing he would be as a performer. I am a diehard and I even I am shocked by how amazing he actually is on that stage! Just from watching the video I am blown away. I can't imagine how amazing he will be live. Our guy is going places! It may not be tomorrow or even a few months from now but he will definitely be successful and 19Evil are idiots for not signing him! LOL I wish I could think of a better word for amazing because IMO amazing does not nearly describe how great Matt is!

Oh I liked Michael last season well enough but he doesn't come close to touching Matt's musicianship at least not IMO.
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Phenomenal. That word might work, Jenna! That's the word that comes to my mind, anyway!

I completely agree about being blown away by Matt on that stage. It's basically impossible to be bored or uneffected by his performance. I still can't get my BF's face out of my mind when he burst onto that stage. She looked at me all wide-eyed and slack-jawed, in utter amazement. That was the best. It was just the beginning for me of what would turn out to be a full-on validation of Matt's amazing talent. And every review, every positive comment, every "Wow, that performance turned me into a Matt Fan" just makes me giddy all over again.

As for the topic at hand, I get the MJ comparisons. I think Matt is a million times superior to MJ, but I get the comparisons. All the surface stuff is pretty similar. But there's just some inexplicable charisma that Matt posesses that I don't feel from MJ. Maybe it comes back to the affectation element that was mentioned upthread. That's the thing that makes Adam seem so transparent to me, so perhaps that's why I didn't connect with MJ, either. Who really knows why we gravitate towards one artist and not another? I guess certain people tug on the right heartstrings. But if MJ and Matt went head-to-head? Well, I'd be really embarassed for MJ, is all I'll say!
Back to top Go down
mattyfan

mattyfan

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:00 pm

I think their personalities are similar. They're the jokesters in their bunch and both "stubbornly"stuck to what they wanted regardless of the bashing they received from the judges. Matt did say Michael is his favorite Idol -- I think it's mainly because of this trait that they share rather than the type of singers they are. Their voices and style are very different and can't really be compared, other than both can be qualified as "soulful" (for me, Matt is more soulful-jazzy, Michael is more soulful-bluesy). They happen to be MY only Idol favorites EVER! I love them both to bits!
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 pm

To be honest I think Matt is a million times more talented and more marketable than Michael Johns. Just saying.
Plus, Michael ended #8 at least Matt ended #5. I wasn't impressed with Michael Johns Cd at all, his music is way too old fashioned, nothing great. Nothing that makes him stand out.

At least Matt has the intention to put relevant music out there, like Gavin/1R. So I am excited about Matt's potential. He did say he is going to go with a current sound. IMO Matt's voice with the right song is perfect for radio.

I think Matt has much better odds to succeed than Michael. Plus he is way younger.

I compare Matt more to Cookie but that's just me. Wink
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Yeah, I definitely agree that Matt is MUCH hotter and more talented than Michael. I liked MJ last year, but I was never compelled to vote for him. As soon as I heard Matt sing, I knew I would be voting for him EVERY WEEK for 2 hours! Very Happy I actually do like Michael's new CD, but I agree that it sounds too "old-fashioned" to be played on any Top 40 radio stations. We're all hoping that Matt's CD will be more radio-friendly! I love you
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:16 pm

Quote :
Phenomenal

How could I forget that word! It describes Matt perfectly! Ovenmitt you are a walking talking dictionary! lol!
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I just realized   What I just realized I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What I just realized
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: All Things Matt! :: Matt There is Nothing Small About You!-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com