Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10

Go down 
+6
mattyfan
Anthony
csprof
FunnyMonkie
Christina
Jenna
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 Empty
PostSubject: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 2:57 pm

The new question of the week is...

Matt has said "I Miss You Tonight" will probably be his first single. Do you think it will be a hit, and if so why? Or is there another song of Matt's you feel is a better choice and if so why?
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 4:00 pm

I definitely feel I Miss You Tonight could be a hit! I could see it doing very well on AC radio if these dumb radio stations would decide to play it! It is an incredible song! I think it would be a good lead off single for Matt especially since Thank You has been doing well on AC radio! It could help continue his momentum on AC Radio. Whenever I listen to I Miss You Tonight I put it on repeat because listening to it once is not enough!

What I love about Matt's music, is that even though it's hard to define, it still is commercially appealing without being garbage! For me it feels like pop mixed with jazz, soul, rock, and even a little country at times!

LOL ok back to the question. I think there are a few other songs that could also be great lead off singles. Baby Girl, I think could potentially get top 40 play if he wanted to reach that market (if radio decided to open up to more indie artists). I think This Love Ain't Meant To Be could also potentially have success on top 40. Matt also mentioned 4 AM as being a possible single. At first I was like NO! While I like the song it isn't one of my favorites, but as he has performed it more I have found myself loving it! It is catchy, bouncy, and well it just makes you feel happy. So I think 4 Am would also make a good first single...plus my 13 year old son loves it! The last song I am going to choose is Motel! I don't know there is just something so sexy and appealing about that song and I'm thinking it could possibly get played both on AC and Top 40 radio stations. Haha this song is my son's favorite song of Matt's! The falsetto is so beautiful and the whole song just flows beautifully.

After all this I think I'd still choose I Miss You Tonight as the first single! After Thank You it just makes the most sense to me. Especially since Victoria Shaw had a hand in creating both songs.
Back to top Go down
Christina

Christina

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:55 pm

There is NO DOUBT that Miss You Tonight will be a hit. It's very modern and catchy. I can definitely hear it playing on the Top 40 stations. I knew it was a hit the first time I heard it! And I can't believe that's been almost a year ago...

To be honest, almost every song of Matt's that I've heard so far could be an instant hit if radio gave him a chance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/ImKristinaMarie
FunnyMonkie

FunnyMonkie

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 12:11 am

I love most of Matt's songs and many of them I think could be a hit... I Miss You Tonight is def in my top 5. I would seriously love to hear 4am on my radio though... I can't wait to hear these studio versions. I wanna blast em in my car!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/_funnymonkie
csprof

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 5:58 am

A whole lot of people have said that "I Miss You Tonight" will be a big hit on radio. I'm especially remembering the director of the Kalamazoo Symphony calling it an "international hit". I agree with Jenna that now that Matt has some inroads into the AC radio world from "Thank You", it would be natural to pick a song that leverages what people like about "Thank You" with a song that is in my opinion more current. But I also think it could do well on HAC and could possibly cross over to other formats.

"I Miss You Tonight" is a great song, so desperate and pitiful, and Matt's voice sounds amazing on it, so if it could get played on radio, I believe it would do really well.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 am

Csprof, I would love to see it get HAC play...that would be great!
Back to top Go down
Logistic

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 11:39 am

I really like IMYT. I like it to the point that when it first came out around this time last year, I had it on non-stop, 24/7, repeat for about 3 weeks. That being said, I think my judgment on that song has to be taken with a grain of salt, because I drove it into the ground. I think it's the most commercial and radio-ready of the songs he has in his arsenal. I get the impression he thinks so too; I get a feeling that he plays that song and feels a certain level of musicality and sophistication. I think it's the song that will help him move away from HAC and into AC/Top 40 where I think he wants to be as an artist.

I like it, but I think in terms of who he is as a musician and what he's capable of doing on a piano and with his voice, it's watered-down at best. The piano is catchy, but simple. The vocal is challenging, but doesn't give him the option of riff the crap out of it. The instrumental build is good, but he has better.

I think what I'm trying to say is that when I go to a concert, I don't go hoping that he'll play IMTY. Maybe that's because I'm crazy in love with him as a musician, but meh.

I think Brand New Day (You Don't Love me) {PS- can we all give ourselves a hand for renaming that song? Good work, everyone} , is his freaking magnum opus. It's everything. It's really strong and heartfelt, the music is really empassioning, and you can tell he just loves it. There's a joy in him when he plays it that's pretty hard to ignore. I've ripped MP3s of it, and sent them to people I know who aren't necessarily his biggest fans, and they love it. IDK if it's necessarily the best RADIO song or the most commercially viable, but it's far and away his best.

4AM is freaking EVERYTHING too. I think that's the song he loves most. I think it's the song that really explains who he is as a musician. There's definitely some jazz in it, but the undercurrent of R&B is fairly evident too. When he explains what his "sound" is, he's talking about 4AM. I like it better when it's just him and the piano, though. I think it drowns with the band.

too long, didn't read.
Back to top Go down
Anthony

Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 11:56 am

I think IMYT should be his first single and I think it will be a hit... I think any of his music has the chance to do well... Matt is a great lyricist and has great sound to his music. His songs are also related to many people and I think that will help him as well. Me personally just hearing his new music through youtube and loving it I can't imagine what it sounds like live and what the studio recordings are going to sound like.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/reedant
csprof

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 11:59 am

Logistic,

I loved everything about your post. I wish I could articulate how I feel about each song as well. And I am in complete agreement with your assessment of "I Miss You Tonight" and "Brand New Day". "Brand New Day" is my favorite. It's a stronger song, lyrically and musically, but "I Miss You Tonight" also strikes me as having broader appeal, probably precisely because it is simpler. I think "Brand New Day" could be a radio hit, but it would need to follow something else that established Matt on the radio.

I have never been as big a fan of "4AM" as other songs, mostly because I find the lyrics a little confusing, but I agree that it has a very distinctive sound that I think Matt wants to be his sound. The vibe is very unique, and when he plays on the piano, it sounds amazing. I am also in agreement that the band drowns it out in some of his concert video. The best version of that song in my opinion is from The Listening Room.

But I have become a huge fan of "Motel" too. I think it is gorgeous. He uses his voice as an instrument in that song, maybe along the lines of "4AM", but I think even better. And "I'll Hold Onto You" is a gut-wrencher that I could see doing very well on radio.

I love many of Matt's songs, but I still think "I Miss You Tonight" would be the most strategic choice for first single.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Your post is not to long Logistic! I enjoyed reading it.

Brand New Day is an incredible song and one of my favorites! I wish we had a studio version, like yesterday. I agree musically it is one of his bests and I didn't choose it for that reason. I have to admit that I don't really listen to the radio but when I do all the songs seem to be manufactured garbage stripped of all musical complexity. I wasn't sure if Brand New Day would fit in radio? It usually seems like the songs that are more artistic and complex are put on CD's but never released as singles, while the more simple less artistic songs are chosen. I wonder why this is? If I was told to pick my favorite song as the next single it would definitely be Brand New Day.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 12:15 pm

I realized my last post might sound like I was suggesting I Miss You Tonight is manufactured garbage and I thought I should clarify that. There is not one song of Matt's that I think is garbage! I think I will just quote csprof to clarify why I think I Miss You Tonight should be his first independent single.

Quote :
"I Miss You Tonight" also strikes me as having broader appeal, probably precisely because it is simpler.

I think while IMYT is simpler it is still a beautiful song that Matt can be proud of!
Back to top Go down
csprof

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 12:49 pm

And here is another justification why "I Miss You Tonight" should be the first single. Of all Matt's original music, it far and away has the highest number of views on Youtube. Across 22 videos of it that I can find, it has more than 40,000 views. Other than "You Don't Know Me", "Thank You" and "4AM", no other songs have even 10,000 views across their videos.

Most are for the videos from Matt's first show at Caledonia 11 months ago. I guess this makes sense -- it was the first original music from Matt, and it has had more time than anything else to accumulate views. The video of the song with the most views, over 19,000, is the one below, which was posted by ainow right after that concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR9qLJDqMyQ
Back to top Go down
Skyler

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 1:11 pm

As I'm a UK fan, I don't know how American radio stations work but I presume it's a lot like the UK, and like Jenna, I hardly, if ever, listen to the radio because to me everything seems to sound the same - and it puzzles me how some artists/bands who are played get signed to major record labels to begin with.

But back to the main question, IMYT is a beautiful song, it's one of those songs you instantly love and everyone can relate to it and it does have that boarder appeal - it could be a hit anywhere in the world. I can imagine US, UK, European stations playing it and it making it into their Top 40. So for that reason I think it's a good first single choice, especially for those who aren't familiar with Matt and his music already.

Saying that, 4AM also makes sense to me about being a potential first single, as does Brand New Day. But I think BND would be a better second single.

Back to top Go down
mattyfan

mattyfan

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 2:01 pm

I still remember the first time Matt performed "I Miss You Tonight". Didn't we ALL love it and were blown away by it? That's the initial reaction people had when they heard the song and it remains that way to today. I agree with what you guys have said: it's the most appropriate follow-up to "Thank You", it has a great chance of being played on HAC if given some marketing support, it has the broadest appeal and can even be an "international hit"! I would LOVE to hear it on my shows where my favorite broken-up couples pine for each other... Laughing It would be perfect...Grey's Anatomy's Alex and Izzie, Brothers & Sisters' Justin and Rebecca. I'd die to see that!!

"I Miss You Tonight" might not feature his jazzy piano-playing and falsettos that I love prominently (not too big a fan of the riffs and runs but a HUGE fan of the scatting!), but I realize there is a give and take that is necessary to get established on radio. As cprof said it's the most "strategic choice". But it does need to feature his piano-playing at the least! I would like to see "Motel" released next and "4AM" as I think these two feature the best of Matt overall and can differentiate his style and vibe from the rest. I think "4AM" with the band is perfect. In fact, I think the use of jazzy instruments is not out of order for this song and many of Matt's songs! I like the pop-jazzy flavor Matt brings, with a dash of the blues. I hope he keeps it!
Back to top Go down
lovethemtigers

lovethemtigers

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:10 am

I''m confident that I Miss You Tonight would be a hit and 100% think it should be his first single. I think of all Matt's originals - it is still the one that caught me the very first time I ever heard it. I love it so much I can sing word for word without Matt and without looking at the lyrics!

I already pretty much explained why I love it so much on last week's question concerning Matt's lyrics!

I think also - when me and Southie did the cellcert at his first solo concert last november - I remember I could hear it so clearly and the lyrics and the melody and the voice just got to me even over a cell phone!!!!
Back to top Go down
FTL14Holley

FTL14Holley

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:47 am

I think "I Miss You Tonight" is the natural choice for the first single by Matt. I agree with you all on how we all reacted to it is the ultimate reason. WE all did go gaga for it and it still hits you like it did from day one. I love you

Having Victoria Shaw as a co-writer on this song as well as "Thank You" is also an excellent reason to have it as the first single. Promotion is the key to the success of the song but I think it will ultimately become a hit on AC radio & could be a crossover like Lady A has been able to do. Victoria also writing on their songs.

I am a little tired this morning so I think this will be the shortest post I ever write! lol!

Have a great week!
Back to top Go down
cranberry

cranberry

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 7:41 am

Quote :
Do you think it will be a hit, and if so why? Or is there another song of Matt's you feel is a better choice and if so why?

I do! It´s a big,simple and emotional song. Very catchy,instantly appealing. Will certainly please a broad audience. His gorgeous voice!

As a wealthy and stressed producer I would release This Love Ain´t Meant To Be without any strategy asap - that song is such a musical joy. Puts a smile on my cranky face every time.
Back to top Go down
MaryM

MaryM

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 1:41 pm

I absolutely believe that I Miss You Tonight would be the perfect single for Matt to release next. This is such a beautiful song and would be a great song to have on the radio. I remember when I first heard the song all I kept thinking was "This song is going to be a hit! This is the song!!" I could already hear it on the radio. I told this to Matt at the M&G that night. =) I think that so many people can relate to the song and the lyrics. Everyone has at one time felt the pain and hurt of missing someone and wanting so bad to have them back in your life. Matt puts so much heart and emotion into this song, I still melt when I hear it. I would love to hear this on the radio, I know people would love it!! This would be a huge single for Matt, IMO.
Back to top Go down
AZFan

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Sorry I'm late answering # 3...

I think 'I Miss You Tonight' would definitely be a good choice as a single. Almost everyone can relate to missing someone you love, especially at night when you want them next to you in your arms. Matt sounds so heartfelt when he sings this song... it brings back memories past for me.

"I'm going out of my mind cause I miss you like crazy." is so true. It's a beautiful song, beautifully sung.
I agree with Matt, it is a good choice, very marketable for a single. If he wants to grab a bunch of new fans he will with this song!
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 10:23 pm

AZFan wrote:
Sorry I'm late answering # 3...

I think 'I Miss You Tonight' would definitely be a good choice as a single. Almost everyone can relate to missing someone you love, especially at night when you want them next to you in your arms. Matt sounds so heartfelt when he sings this song... it brings back memories past for me.

"I'm going out of my mind cause I miss you like crazy." is so true. It's a beautiful song, beautifully sung.
I agree with Matt, it is a good choice, very marketable for a single. If he wants to grab a bunch of new fans he will with this song!

Better late than never Very Happy

I agree I Miss You Tonight is a beautiful song sung amazingly! I also agree that it is the perfect song to grab a bunch of new fans with! I just hope he releases it soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10   Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question of the Week #3 - 10/23/10
Page 1 of 1