Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Matt Collabos

Go down 
+13
graciecat
Jenna
ShellBen
pasnthru
Lisa_M
mattyfan
mattyg93
sgr91
Cacity87
macigirl
crys7
Lana
OvenMitt
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Janizzle

Janizzle

Matt Collabos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 am

Josh Hoge! He has been under the radar for sooo long...I saw him in 2007 when he toured with Elliott Yamin. He's really good (he does an awesome Ain't No Sunshine, actually), very soulful.

I didn't know he tweeted Matt...that's awesome! Matt must've missed the message or contacted him privately. I'm sure there are some t hings Matt cannot discuss online! That's very encouraging news!
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:54 am

Oh man.. I guess it's good that he plans to do soulful stuff but I really like too when he sings current songs. Like my favorite studio version of his is his "YFM". So he's proven he can do that kind of music with lots of great response.

Don't you guys think Matt can do a soulful record but at the same time incorporate rock pop sounds like The Fray or 1R?

I mean for his first time out he has to do mainstream stuff to get radio play? I think the best syle will be Gavin de Graw combined with The Fray/1R sound?
That would be awesome and he would sell tons of records.

Am I the only one here who also enjoys his "YFM" sound? I hope not. If somehow Matt can incorporate modern with soulful sounds at the same time that would be the best route JMHO.

I hope he can do that... I am so confused now on what is his record going to sound like. In some interviews he said it will be Gavin/1R influenced, in others he mentions the Morrison guy and Musiq Soulchild. So who knows?
But if he writes with Gavin and Colbie I am sure it will be awesome.

I also love the idea of Matt fronting a piano rock band like The Fray. What do you guys think of that option? So many questions I have in my head. lol
scratch
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:56 am

Jenna wrote:
Guess I am the only one who does not like Musiq's music. I'm praying he doesn't put out music like that. The other guy James Morrison I like.

LOL sgr I was also confused when he said James Morrison because I immediately thought Jim Morrison from the Doors and I couldn't figure out where that came from. I mean Matt and the Doors? Then I read Ovenmitt's post saying she didn't know who James Morrison was and I was like you have got to be kidding me? She doesn't know who the Doors are? I mean I'm not that much older than her. I think 5-6 years? But then I realized Matt was talking about someone else and it immediately made sense. So thanks for clearing that up Ovenmitt. Very Happy

Hehe. Come on, girl, gimme a little more credit than that!

I knew it couldn't have been Jim Morrison, because Matt referred to him as JAMES. I kinda scratched my head a that point as well, like, "why you being so formal, Matt? Just call him JIM!". But, yeah, I agree with everyone. James Morrison's style=PERFECT for Matt.

Aw, you don't like Musiq? I suppose I see your point of view, though. Musiq is, like, the WAAAY soul side of what Matt might be going for. If he did just that type of stuff (which I know he's not going to do), I'd be a tad disappointed myself. But I think it's a good reference point, just like I see The Fray as the other extreme. Matt is somewhere is the middle of those two extremes.

Also, to touch on the Brooke White interview: I saw that yesterday, and thought Matt was feeding her lines! She seems to have a very similar viewpoint to Matt's, and that makes me very interested to see which direction Matt will take. It sounded like she was in a similar scenario last year, that she had major label offers, but she wanted to put out her album on her timeframe and her terms. She said it actually would have taken LONGER for her album to come out on a major label, which I found interesting. Brooke never struck me as the impatient type, and I'm sure she would have had a quality album if she'd gone major and taken time with it. Maybe that's where she and Matt differ. He seems loads more patient and calm about everything, not as frenetic as Brooke. Man, but that girl can take forever to make a point!

Okay, and one more thing. Since we're projecting our musical tastes onto Matt, I'll take my turn:

Jamiroquai. Ahhh. They are more acid jazz/funk/soul/disco, but the lead singer's voice is so very soulful. I always envision Matt singing Jamiroquai songs, although, they too represent a musical extreme, something I'd never want Matt to do straight on, just an interpretation. With that said:

Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Quote :
Hehe. Come on, girl, gimme a little more credit than that!

LOL that was why I was scratching my head scratch ! I was like no way does Ovenmitt not know who Jim Morrison is. So I was glad when it was cleared up! You were redeemed in my eyes LOL!

Quote :
Aw, you don't like Musiq? I suppose I see your point of view, though. Musiq is, like, the WAAAY soul side of what Matt might be going for. If he did just that type of stuff (which I know he's not going to do), I'd be a tad disappointed myself. But I think it's a good reference point, just like I see The Fray as the other extreme. Matt is somewhere is the middle of those two extremes.

No sadly I don't like his music but I really don't like R&B music. I guess I am a music snob because mostly I like straight up rock or singer song writer music. So I am praying for the James Morrison, Gavin Degraw, Fray, and Black Crowes mix. LOL what a mixture. MO Musiq please Matt!
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
lo_wee

lo_wee

PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Jenna wrote:
Guess I am the only one who does not like Musiq's music. I'm praying he doesn't put out music like that. The other guy James Morrison I like.

I don't even know what this "Musiq" is lol. scratch
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:14 pm

lo_wee wrote:
Jenna wrote:

I don't even know what this "Musiq" is lol. scratch

Hehe. Musiq is short for Musiq Soulchild. He's a R&B/neo-soul singer. I posted links to a couple of his videos at the beginning of this thread, if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
Lisa_M

Lisa_M

PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey All..I was just gonna tell you guys that I've tweeted matt like three different times now...(not all at once) lol...just like every other day saying, "Hey Matt I really like Josh Hoge..have you heard of him or his music" and also I said something to the affect of "I can see you maybe doing that kind of music and referenced the song "360" also BUT he has never responded back to any of my tweets..(which I was really hoping he would because it seems like he does answer ppl back when they tweet him about music/songs and stuff) I guess I'm never gonna get a tweet from him Crying or Very sad

Anyway I still wonder if he saw that Tweet from Josh Hoge or what the deal is with that?? scratch
Back to top Go down
mattyfan

mattyfan

PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 8:35 pm

mattyg93 wrote:
I am so confused now on what is his record going to sound like. In some interviews he said it will be Gavin/1R influenced, in others he mentions the Morrison guy and Musiq Soulchild. So who knows?
But if he writes with Gavin and Colbie I am sure it will be awesome.

I also love the idea of Matt fronting a piano rock band like The Fray. What do you guys think of that option? So many questions I have in my head. lol
scratch

I like to think of it this way. Matt will do soulful piano rock with a jazzy, bluesy twist. That about covers all the styles Matt has mentioned! It'll be sort of like Gavin and The Fray all mixed up. It will be HOTTTTTT!!

Let me just add, I think when Matt mentions James Morrison, he's referring to JM"s simple, soulful, organic style in music and singing (kinda like Jason Mraz but soulful rather than folksy-pop). OvenMitt mentioned Jamiroquai -- definitely their funky side which I believe Maroon 5 copied is something Matt will have in his unique mix.

Our guy's truly versatile, and I think HE's the one person who can take all these sides and make something beautiful! I'm excited that he seems pumped up about writing music on late nights at hotel lobbies during this tour. He's itching to get that done, for his own benefit as well as to show those labels how he wants to define himself.
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Matt Collabos   Matt Collabos - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Had to dig this thread back up, because I heard Matt name-drop, and I immediately went into research mode (surprise, surprise!).

So, that new interview he did with Fox in GR (the one I'm in love with now because he laid it out there that he wanted to wait for a good record deal. You go Matt.). He mentioned Morrison again, but added Jamie Cullum. Now, I've vaguely heard of Jamie Cullum before, but he's really not popular (to my knowledge) in the U.S.. Another English guy, but he's a full-on modern jazz pianist type. Ooh, and he's good. This angle is making me even more happy, because I'm a secret (well, not now!) jazz nerd. Years of jazz choir will do that to you. ANYWAY..... Jamie Cullum. Killer on the piano, and has done some cool covers of the White Stripes, Kanye, Jimi Hendrix and Pharrell. Crazy mixture, huh? So, yet another exciting little tidbit. I'm glad to hear Matt will be incorporating a jazzy spin to his music. And, of course, here are some Jamie Cullum songs for y'all to ponder:

Gorgeous song from Gran Torino: