Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

change the trending topic name?

Go down 
+9
macigirl
Janizzle
Lana
Riley 9
sgr91
Jenna
Cacity87
mattyg93
hazuki
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Riley 9

Riley 9

change the trending topic name? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:03 pm

Janizzle wrote:
I think if we want to make Matt trend we have to all do it at the same time. I don't think it's a cumulative thing, like over a period of days....but what people are talking about at the same time. So if we'd want to get "Matt Giraud" trending, then I'd think the day of the concert would be great!

By the way, when we talk about Matt, maybe we should link articles about him as well? So that when people click on it (assuming he is a trending topic), they can actually have something to learn about Matt? There are more people on Twitter than American Idol fans, believe me! We could link that awesome review from Slezak, maybe some hot pictures of Matt, who knows?

Great ideas, Janizzle! I think the links to articles, pictures and even his videos on YouTube would make our tweets more interesting! sunny

I mentioned this before, but I learned from reading stuff at the Adam sites that we should include the "PIGEON POLL" attachment in some of our tweets. The Adam fans were saying that it helps to trend a subject, but I don't know how accurate that information is.
EXAMPLE:
What is your favorite Matt song from the tour?
a) Hard to Handle
b) Georgia On My Mind
c) You Found Me
d) Tell Her About It

I'm really a novice at this Twitter stuff, so I'm just throwing out different ideas! scratch

Also, have we agreed to a specific time that we should start tweeting on Sunday?
Back to top Go down
pasnthru

pasnthru

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 1:26 pm

I don't know that much about Twitter either, but I think it would probably work better to do this tweeting within a specific time period - say two hours - specifying a specific time zone, like 4:00 - 6:00 EST (Michigan time). I can't imagine that trending happens by Twitter adding up every time something is mentioned over a period of time. I would think it's probably just how may times something is being mentioned in any given moment. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:56 pm

All right, I'm trying to get everything straightened out before Sunday. It's Friday afternoon already, and I still see too many variations of the trend, depending what fan site you're looking at. Have we agreed that it should just be Matt Giraud, no hashtags and no "sign"? Very Happy

I really don't want our tweets to end up looking like SPAM, so remember to write a short message in addition to Matt Giraud's name. Idea

And pasnthru suggested that we start tweeting at 4 PM Eastern Time on Sunday. I think that sounds good because I don't want people trying to tweet during the actual concert! geek
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Agree on getting in together because the twitter messages I'm getting say something completely different. They want to trend signmattg and signmattgiraud starting at 8pm EST

2 concerns - I think 4pm is too early on a beautiful holiday weekend, especially on the west coast. There are more people on twitter later and I would suggest later.

If SignMattGiraud was spam, are we sure that SignMattG won't be spam as well? Its part of SignMattGiraud?

can you trend without hashtags?

OK I realize these are mostly questoins and not answers. I do think we need someone to communicate with @SignMattGiraud, @MattsFTLs, the BG's, etc. I'll be at the concert and out of town most of the weekend. Any volunteers?
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:38 pm

sgr91 wrote:
Agree on getting in together because the twitter messages I'm getting say something completely different. They want to trend signmattg and signmattgiraud starting at 8pm EST

2 concerns - I think 4pm is too early on a beautiful holiday weekend, especially on the west coast. There are more people on twitter later and I would suggest later.

If SignMattGiraud was spam, are we sure that SignMattG won't be spam as well? Its part of SignMattGiraud?

can you trend without hashtags?

OK I realize these are mostly questoins and not answers. I do think we need someone to communicate with @SignMattGiraud, @MattsFTLs, the BG's, etc. I'll be at the concert and out of town most of the weekend. Any volunteers?

Heh-heh, I have been doing research on "trending" the past few days in preparation for the GR show! Wink

Maybe 4 PM EST is too early for the West Coast, so maybe more like 8 PM Eastern? I think that would probably be AFTER Matt's set, so anyone going to the concert could participate after he's done singing. Usually Matt starts his set around 7:45 or 7:50 local time, and it should take him about 10 minutes to sing his three solo songs, right? (Can you tell I have been listening to him on the cellcerts?) Idea

I remember the Glamberts said that they started tweeting #AdamAlbumNov24 right when Danny started his set, so that was probably around 9 PM local time, right?

And I believe that you don't need the hashtags to get a trend in the top 10. Even "Matt Giraud" by itself would be enough. Right now the top 10 trends are: "Jay-Z", "Chris Brown", "Larry King", etc., and I have seen names like "Michael Jackson", "Megan Fox", in the top 10 WITHOUT any hashtags! In the Twitter FAQs, they say that their company monitors how many times the words are mentioned, not the hashtags themselves! So I think it would be OK to write : Matt Giraud should be signed soon or Record companies should sign Matt Giraud

I think we should try to mention the words "sign" and "record deal" as much as possible! cheers
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:43 pm

I've already tweeted @signmattgiraud and @MattsFTLs but the Ftls haven't responded yet, and @signmattgiraud have just decided to try and trend both #signmattgiruad and #signmattg. So Idk...

I'm with you Sgr, because I was checking both of these hashtags and searched @immattgiraud and there are at least 4 different things going on. I saw #signmattgiruad, #signmattg, #signmatt... There are even some who are just trying to trend Matt Giraud. There is just way too much going on for any of these things to work. Added to that a definitive time has yet to be agreed on.

I wish more of his fans were at this site so that at least it would be easier to get the word out, but to be honest I just don't see how we can pull things together in time to make this happen.
Back to top Go down
paigeturner

paigeturner

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Just my two cents...I will be at the concert so it doesn't matter to me what you all decide, but I really don't think that twitter counts it as spam when you use the saying more than once per tweet. If you've ever looked at the Adam or Kris fans who get stuff to trend, most of them use the phrase (with a hashtag) more than once, just making sure to add a different word each tweet. The FTLs posted some research yesterday that said the same, ie. twitter counts the number of times the word is repeated and not the number of tweets it is in, so the more often it is used, the better. Anyway as for the BGs, 5 of us will be at the show and three or four others will be on vacation, so we won't be able to help out much....although those of us going to the show will be sure to pass along the message about the chant. Good luck to the rest of you! Smile
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 4:41 pm

This is more complicated than I thought it was going to be! scratch

I really don't think it matters whether or not we include the hashtags when we tweet. According to the Twitter FAQs, they don't count the hashtags themselves, just the actual words, like "Jay-Z" or "Michael Jackson". So I think the most important thing we can do is to agree on the specific time that is convenient for most people. Is it possible for everyone to tweet for a couple of hours? I think they limit the number of tweets you can send, something like 100 or so per hour per account, right?

Something very simple like "Matt Giraud", with or without hashtags, has to be repeated thousands of times per hour to make a difference. I read an article that said there can be up to 50,000 users on Twitter per hour and over 80,000 tweets per hour! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 5:41 pm

Hey guys...so I guess no one really understood the comments I posted the other day, huh? haha.

From what I gathered...it seems that Twitter operators look at the words that are appearing the most (whether they have a hashtag or not, it doesn't matter) and they CHOOSE which words they want to add as trending topics.

The guy "Pierre" or whatever basically explained that they like to find words that are being discussed at a rapid pace and by a multiple various amount of people. If they see a certain group attempting to trend certain words for the purpose of just trending, they don't necessarily want those as trending topics.

I don't know...that's just what I gathered. That it is all a "manual" thing by the Twitter operators. They look at the words being discussed and choose which ones are most popular and manually insert them into the trending topic. Btw, I am with everyone who thinks we should just attempt to trend "Matt Giraud" with no hashtag. If it's gonna be done - that's the way to do it.

But the MOST important thing for Sunday night...should be getting the chant started. If Matt doesn't trend, that's fine, its already happened before and he had press for it. Awesome! But, honestly...record labels can't ignore it if the entire stadium begins chanting "Sign Matt Giraud! Sign Matt Giraud!" That would be completely amazing and EPIC! I am all for spreading the word about the chant!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cassidylrobinson
mattyfan

mattyfan

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Yes, please make the chant happen. Bring those signs and spread the word. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Cacity87, I think you're right about the trends being determined by a group of TWITTER ADMINISTRATORS, not simply by a computer that counts words. That's what I was trying to say in my previous post. It won't matter if we use hashtags or not. It is more important to mention "Matt Giraud", and we have to have LOTS of people doing it at the same time. Like I said before, the top 10 trends were: "Jay-Z" and "Chris Brown", it didn't matter that there weren't any hashtags next to their names! sunny

And according to a Twitter "insider", we have to write about "Matt Giraud" like we're having an actual conversation. I think the Twitter people will ignore tweets that just say "#SignMattG yada, yada, yada." Maybe something better would be: "I can't believe no one has signed Matt Giraud yet." "RT I think Matt Giraud will be signed soon." "RT Matt Giraud is so good, he should have a record deal" etc.

Of course, Twitter looks at the number of times per hour that his name is mentioned, so it will take a lot of fans to achieve a trend! And it might help if we add the "Pigeon Poll" to the tweets and actually vote on them! Idea Supposedly, the Twitter people are looking for trending topics that seem "interesting", like the new Twilight movie, or that Disney bought Marvel Comics, etc.
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Maybe we should just concentrate on the Chant and leave the Trending Topics be. There is too much confusion outside of this forum, with so many different groups trending different things. (some will trend Matt Giraud, but I think most are still looking to try and trend #signmattgiraud) so like we all agreed on in a thread a while ago, maybe we should leave the Trending Topics alone and focus on a new phase of action. It happened once (I'm convinced that it happened more than once but whatever) we can't be greedy and expect to keep getting it up there. People are going to get tired of it after a while (like me to be honest)...

The Chant is a good way to push forward (patting myself on the back for that idea) and after this we should keep picking our brains for new ways to create buzz. The Brainstorming thread is a good place to start.
Back to top Go down
mattyfan

mattyfan

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Lana wrote:
Maybe we should just concentrate on the Chant and leave the Trending Topics be. There is too much confusion outside of this forum, with so many different groups trending different things. (some will trend Matt Giraud, but I think most are still looking to try and trend #signmattgiraud) so like we all agreed on in a thread a while ago, maybe we should leave the Trending Topics alone and focus on a new phase of action. It happened once (I'm convinced that it happened more than once but whatever) we can't be greedy and expect to keep getting it up there. People are going to get tired of it after a while (like me to be honest)...

The Chant is a good way to push forward (patting myself on the back for that idea) and after this we should keep picking our brains for new ways to create buzz. The Brainstorming thread is a good place to start.

Oh, Lana, thank you for the chant idea! I remember you started it.

Would it help if people make little print-outs explaining the chant and when to do it, and those can be passed around the crowd before the concert? Would that help spread the word faster?
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks Matty I love you I'm not going to the GR show ( Crying or Very sad ) so it's really not up to me how you ladies want to spread the word, or when you feel comfortable getting it started. I'll leave that up to you since you are doing the actual leg work. I do however like that idea for flyers if in the midst of making posters and Cds anyone feels up for it.

I REALLY REALLY hope we can make this happen. Someone (I think Cacity) said in another thread that Matt may know about the Chant idea, so hopefully this lights an even bigger fire under people's butts to make this happen. Fingers crossed.

And BTW: I don't want my earlier post to at all mean that I would be opposed to helping trend if people still ran with the TT idea. I just hope that if we do decide on it, we can be a bit organized first so that chances are greater for achievement.
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:07 pm

Ha-ha, I guess we're all adding to the confusion! geek

I think the bottom line is that MANY, MANY, MANY Matt fans have to be on Twitter at THE SAME TIME on Sunday.

Honestly, I don't think it makes that much of a difference if people tweet "SignMattG" or "Matt Giraud" or "#signmattgiraud". The main thing is that MATT GIRAUD's name appears in all those tweets, and we have to agree to start at the same time.

As long as people are talking ABOUT Matt Giraud, I think it all counts toward the Top Trends list. We must agree on the time though! What about AFTER Matt's set? It depends if the GR concerts starts on time, but at tonight's concert (Madison, WI), Matt's set didn't start until after 8:00 PM local time! "Hard to Handle" ended at about 8:10 PM (TIME TO START THE CHANT) ... Are we going to wait until INTERMISSION? I was timing the Madison concert, and the 1st half was over at 8:26 PM local time, so I think it would be safe to tell people 8:30 PM is INTERMISSION! I just wanted to give the people attending the concert a chance to tweet, too! Idea

BTW, great idea you had to start a chant, Lana! I think people at the GR concert will be so impressed if you guys manage to get a LOUD chant during Matt's set! cheers I'm hoping it gets mentioned in the local papers or even the local TV news!
Back to top Go down
Janizzle

Janizzle

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi guys...I'm in GR! I just want to BEG, can we please make the chant Sign Matt G? Its short and sweet and people will get it. I will definitely spread the word tomorrow--just keep it quiet from Matt!
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Janizzle wrote:
Hi guys...I'm in GR! I just want to BEG, can we please make the chant Sign Matt G? Its short and sweet and people will get it. I will definitely spread the word tomorrow--just keep it quiet from Matt!

Awesome! And yeah...I just chanted "Sign Matt Giraud" and "Sign Matt G" to myself quietly and I see what you mean..."Sign Matt G" is easier. It will probably sound clearer too in a large group of people!

So..yeah, spread the word! Especially to all the Matt fans that you see at the show! Remember to scope out fedora's first...and then tell them to spread the word too. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cassidylrobinson
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: change the trending topic name?   change the trending topic name? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

change the trending topic name?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2