Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Another new interview

Go down 
+5
Riley 9
Lisa_M
mattyg93
Lana
Jenna
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Another new interview Empty
PostSubject: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:46 am

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/happening/stories/6792808.html

Quote :
A phone interview was arranged with Matt Giraud, who called from the road on Aug. 25 when the tour was in Columbus, Ohio, for a show that evening at the Schottenstein Center.

How was he doing?

"I'm doing alright," Giraud said, "I'm having a good time."

I asked if the touring aspect of the music business was turning our to be like he thought it would?

"Yeah," he said "I mean, it's a little bit more than I expected it would be, but I'm having a blast learning about the business ... I've grown a lot as a musician and as a person. It's a big business, man," he said, "it's crazy how long out days are and how much we do that I never knew about, ya know what I mean? But," he concluded, "I'm enjoying being on this side of the spectrum."

The Top 10 finalist stated that the majority of the shows they they've done so far have been sold out, like Portland's, and that it was amazing to be performing in front of 10,000 to 15,000 fans every show.

"It's been incredible," Giraud said. "The crowds have been super-responsive and I feel like I'm really showing people every night that I'm more than what they expect me to be. I'm really surprising them and that's what makes me happy. I still get excited every night to go out and do that."

Seeing there are 10 singers on this "American Idol Live!" tour, I asked how long Giraud had to perform his own material?

"Well, I'm doing three full-length songs and I'm doing a coupla group numbers, so I got a pretty good chunk of time and I can go out there and play piano -- wail on it like Jerry Lee Lewis: do all that kinda stuff. On the show on TV, I used it like a prop, but out here on the tour, I'm actually able to play it for all these people, that's like a huge dream come true for me."

The next topic of conversation dealt with the length of the show they were putting -- if he got three songs and there were nine other singers ... well, that could make for a long night.

"I think the first three or four performers do two songs, then we go on to three songs, then I think Allison does four and then it goes on and on like that, so," he concluded. "It's almost a three-hour show with a 20-minute intermission in the middle."

"It's gonna be a long show, but it's a great show and it's more adult-oriented this year -- it's not as cheesy as maybe some of the past years have been ... not to bash them," he said. "So a lotta people, who maybe have been dragged out by their kids, will probably end up liking it, which is cool."

Well, when all is said and done, this season of "American Idol" really had the most depth of talent of any of the previous seasons.

"Well, thanks, man, we really appreciate that," Giraud said. "Every time we hear something like that we're very thankful and honored to be a part of that, ya know, Paula's (Abdul) last year and stuff like that ... we really wanted to definitely go out with as bang, so we've had a blast."

He said the audiences they've been performing for over the last 35 nights since the July 5 start (Portland, Ore., Rose Garden, and concluding on Sept. 15 in Manchester, N.H.) have sported members from five to 95.

"We must be doing something right, I guess," he said.

As the tour winds down and the reality of the end becomes more apparent, several things have been happening: practical jokes being one of them.

"You've kinda gotta watch your back up there now," Giraud said, "and it's almost like we're about to graduate and all go off our different ways. We're aware that some people will fly higher then others," he added, "but we're very supportive of each other and every time someone has good news we're all excited for each other. So it's an exciting time, where you get to go out on your own, to get off the "American Idol" bubble and make some stuff happen for yourself."

When asked if he personally has been pursuing his musical future, Giraud stated that he'd just been hired as the new host of a show called "Make The Cut."

"It's an online competition, which is cool," he said, "and I'm booking actual headlining shows in Michigan and fund-raisers in Napa Valley. There are all kinds of cool opportunities that I'm getting. I want to spread myself out -- do some like jazz festivals -- I want to be out there doing all types of music and show people that there are a lotta sides of me."

Was there anything he wanted to have passed on to the readers of this "What's Happening" article?

"Yeah, I just wanna say 'Thank you' to everyone who's a fan and a supporter now after seeing me on the show and seeing me live on this tour. I really appreciate that -- I wanna let them know that I won't let them down."
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:56 am

Quote :
"It's an online competition, which is cool," he said, "and I'm booking actual headlining shows in Michigan and fund-raisers in Napa Valley. There are all kinds of cool opportunities that I'm getting. I want to spread myself out -- do some like jazz festivals -- I want to be out there doing all types of music and show people that there are a lotta sides of me."

Urghhh I'm sorry but this kind of makes me nervous. This may actually be one of the reasons he hasn't been signed yet. Record labels want to know who you are going to be as an artist. It also makes me nervous because "I want to do everything" is the mantra of all Idol contestants that haven't been signed. When you are an established artist it is ok to spread yourself out but when your are a new you need to identify your sound. This interview makes me scared!
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:03 am

I agree Jenna that this was the first thing that stood out to me. As soon as he said "I want to be out there doing all types of music" I had to slap my forehead. Isn't this the very thing that he has been struggling to convince people of? That he has defined his musical style and knows exactly who he is as an artist: Soul/Rock?? This is like 2 steps back if he does what he did on the show, trying to do every style of music that he likes. He even admitted in a past interview that this was his problem on the show. Esp. at this time when he is still fighting for a deal he needs to be a bit more assertive and sure of what his music genre will be.

IDk Maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds. He's done really well for himself up to this point so we may just have to trust that he knows what he is doing.
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:48 am

I agree with you guys. Doing jazz festivals playing all types of music? That's not how he should plan to start his solo career, just saying

I think that part of the interview is confusing. In almost all of them he says he is looking forward to becoming a recording artist and that he will def be doing Gavin de Graw/1R/The Fray/James Morrison type of music. So who knows if this is accurate?

Also this interview is back from August 25th from when he was in Cleveland, I remember he did the Andrew Cook interview after this one and he seemed pretty sure he will pull a Castro and he also defined his style.

I am always confused with every new interview or article. Right now let's just pray for the best and that he will get signed soon.

Hopefully the GR chanting on Sunday will happen and he will trend on twitter. This is our last resource as fans to help him.
It will really break my heart to see all Top 4 signed and Matt left out there doing jazz festivals. He deserves much more than that.
I am still positive with all the media attention (Slezak, Cantiello) that it will happen eventually. Gosh.. Can't anybody take a chance on him?Rolling Eyes They won't regret it!
Back to top Go down
Lisa_M

Lisa_M

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:32 am

Wow...I must say this interview and a few things Matt said does kind of bother me also. scratch Neutral I'm getting a feeling that Matt doesn't really have a certain direction he is going and I hate to say this but that's not really good. I mean its great to go back home and do a few shows but if he just stays around MI doing a bunch of fund raisers, small venues with ALL type of music this is going to hurt him I think. I can understand he has to write some music and get it recorded and stuff but it STILL doesn't sound like he is EXACTLY sure what he is doing and what TYPE of music he is going to do..(ie: now he's throwing the word "jazz" in there.) I just keep wondering..is he going to get an agent/mgr? right after the tour to help him and direct him in the right moves, etc. (I feel this is extremely important)....does he have any plans to move to LA (Anoop has even said he is moving to LA to pursue his career) but Matt has never said this..he's going to have to get out of MI and "move in the right circles" on a daily basis to get his musical career going...My feeling is if he stays in MI just doing these "gigs" and the whole "yobi thing" this isn't going to be enough??

hmmmmm...just confused as to where his head is?? If he doesn't make the right contacts within a few months of ending the tour he will be somewhat dead in the water IMO because unfortunately the world of entertainment is not going to come looking for you..you have continually put yourself out there! Does any of what I'm saying make sense because as usual I know what I'm thinking but have a hard time expressing it! Embarassed I just think that Matt can have ALL the talent in the world (which he does) but it has to be cultivated and brought to fruitation...right?
Back to top Go down
Lisa_M

Lisa_M

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:57 am

After I read my last post I think what I was trying to say Razz was that I don't feel like Matt has a "concrete plan" in place as to what direction he is going next IF he doesn't get signed to some label (even if its indie), and that's where the importance of an Agent or Mgr comes in. He has to be careful to not have to many irons in the fire if you know what I mean. As much as he might want to be a "jack of all trades" when it comes to music he just can't be..he has to get out of the "dueling piano player mode" but I think he is somewhat stuck in that in his mind because he does like playing a variety of music but he can't do that to have a solid career no matter how big or small he is going to be...(haha..Wow I've used alot of medifores huh?) geek

gosh I wish I didn't worry about him sooo much! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Lisa_M wrote:
Wow...I must say this interview and a few things Matt said does kind of bother me also. scratch Neutral I'm getting a feeling that Matt doesn't really have a certain direction he is going and I hate to say this but that's not really good. I mean its great to go back home and do a few shows but if he just stays around MI doing a bunch of fund raisers, small venues with ALL type of music this is going to hurt him I think. I can understand he has to write some music and get it recorded and stuff but it STILL doesn't sound like he is EXACTLY sure what he is doing and what TYPE of music he is going to do..(ie: now he's throwing the word "jazz" in there.) I just keep wondering..is he going to get an agent/mgr? right after the tour to help him and direct him in the right moves, etc. (I feel this is extremely important)....does he have any plans to move to LA (Anoop has even said he is moving to LA to pursue his career) but Matt has never said this..he's going to have to get out of MI and "move in the right circles" on a daily basis to get his musical career going...My feeling is if he stays in MI just doing these "gigs" and the whole "yobi thing" this isn't going to be enough??

hmmmmm...just confused as to where his head is?? If he doesn't make the right contacts within a few months of ending the tour he will be somewhat dead in the water IMO because unfortunately the world of entertainment is not going to come looking for you..you have continually put yourself out there! Does any of what I'm saying make sense because as usual I know what I'm thinking but have a hard time expressing it! Embarassed I just think that Matt can have ALL the talent in the world (which he does) but it has to be cultivated and brought to fruitation...right?

OK, I don't want to seem like I'm being pushy, but I agree with what Lisa_M was saying. I like what Anoop has been telling people in recent interviews-- that he is DEFINITELY moving out to LA after the tour and pursuing a record deal. I even read his tweet about "apartment hunting" in LA. I hope Anoop gets a record deal, too, but Matt is so much more talented and versatile than Anoop! I know it's none of my business (I'm just a fan, not Matt's family or anything), but I wonder if Matt is planning on staying around Michigan right after the tour ends. I know he said that he was going to take a LOOOONG vacation, so he could relax (hey, maybe I could come along), but what next? Besides the YOBI tv contest, is Matt going to record a demo (assuming he doesn't get signed yet)?

Heh, we're all so anxious about Matt's future. I can only imagine how HE feels right now! I just want him to be successful (whatever that means to him), so wouldn't that mean moving out to LA as soon as possible? I remember that Jason Castro moved out to LA after the 2008 tour! OK, OK... I promise I won't be pushy anymore! lol!
Back to top Go down
Janizzle

Janizzle

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 pm

The statement didnt' bother me but I did find it pretty interesting. I think Matt simply wants to work on his musical chops; obviously, he still has so much more to learn, and I think he wants to strengthen himself as a musician. I have no problem with that. I know he doesn't want to be a "human jukebox" anymore, that he wants people to come out to SEE him. So I think these are just ways that he's trying to market himself.

I think if Matt wanted to do "anything and everything" then he'd be signed with 19. Right? Obviously, Matt knows what direction he wants to go, but he wants to have some fun and mix things up a bit too. I think as long as he is clear about that, being current with a strong musical identity yet ALSO versatile, he'll get snatched up.
Back to top Go down
Janizzle

Janizzle

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Oh and as for the LA thing, I know Matt has said in an interview that he's not trying to be in Michigan forever....so I think he might just be keeping it local for a few months, maybe doing some recording (didn't he mention preparing 5 songs for a demo?), and then hopefully do the big move? I think there's just some things that are uncertain for Matt now, and he isn't divulging everything to the media. I think Anoop really has no choice but to move to LA, to be honest...
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Janizzle wrote:
Oh and as for the LA thing, I know Matt has said in an interview that he's not trying to be in Michigan forever....so I think he might just be keeping it local for a few months, maybe doing some recording (didn't he mention preparing 5 songs for a demo?), and then hopefully do the big move? I think there's just some things that are uncertain for Matt now, and he isn't divulging everything to the media. I think Anoop really has no choice but to move to LA, to be honest...

Honestly if Anoop moves to La and gets a deal before Matt I am going to be devastated.
Gosh! Matt should have been signed before Gokey! Just saying!
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:13 pm

OK - so I totally did not read this interview the same way all of you did.

First of all, when he talks about "doing all kinds of music" I'm assuming he's talking about doing music in all types of venues such as state fairs, private concerts, jazz festivals, etc. Its to get exposure and continue to improve his music chops.

I don't think there is anything magical about living in LA. You can make a demo anywhere and go to LA to shop it. If our speculation is correct and that Yobi is going to give him studio time to record his demo, what's wrong with being in Michigan. Sounds like a lot of the shows he's doing are in MI (the home state showing him some love) so why should he fly back and forth from LA for now. I'm guessing if Anoop had a bunch of shows lined up in NC, he would spend more time there. (Now I must admit some bias since I'm a Michigander and him sticking around here increases my chances of seeing him perform, but nonetheless).

Lastly, this is one of many interviews, and certainly not the most recent one. It seems like we go through so many highs and lows based on every word - weren't we all excited after the Cook interview. I bet Matt doesn't spend nearly the time analyzing what he will say as we spend analyzing what he has said LOL
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Why all the worry, peeps?

I think if Matt was truly nervous about his prospects, he wouldn't be taking time to go back to Michigan, host Yobi and play various gigs. I think maybe he got this advice, and is taking the proper steps to hone his musical vision. Like Janizzle said, folks like Anoop (as much as I like the guy) need to make moves NOW to have a shot at even a minor deal. At this point, it's ludicrous to assume that nobody has approached Matt. With all the buzz he's received, the proving himself he's done on tour, the industry connections he's made, you mean to tell me that everyone else EXCEPT the record labels are delusional? Not possible! I really think, especially with how Matt is about divulging details about his career and personal life, there's a HUGE chunk of the story we don't know. And do we really want him to string us along and get us riled up with news that may later fall through? That would be really disappointing for everyone!

No, I think that Matt is doing the right thing here. So he mentioned jazz festivals. So? He also mentioned Napa Valley! That's pretty dern close to L.A., so who's to say he won't be making moves with labels between "fund-raisers"? Anywho, lots can change in a matter of days, and didn't someone say this interview was conducted on Aug. 25th? Who knows what was going through Matt's head on that particular day, or even how things have changed since then? Maybe the interviewer's questions didn't illicit more telling responses from Matt. Again, since we only know tiny fragments of what's really happening, it's too difficult to know for sure. I am more confident than ever that things will fall into place for our guy, and just because it's not falling into place TODAY, doesn't mean that it won't ever happen. And yeah, I'm giving Matt every benefit of the doubt here, but I believe so strongly in his talent and his desire to follow his passion that I have no problem doing that.

ETA: Sgr, I love what you said about L.A. not necessarily being "magical". If it was, then why did Adam Lambert have to resort to going on American Idol to get discovered? He's been hoofing around that town practically his whole life, hell, he went to a performing arts school AND spent several years on the local theater scene, and all that came of it were some mediocre demos that are only now being released as a result of his success on Idol. Why did Allison have to sing in department stores, even after winning another TV singing competition? Sometimes talent transcends location.

Last edited by OvenMitt on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lisa_M

Lisa_M

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:38 pm

OvenMitt wrote:
Why all the worry, peeps?

I think if Matt was truly nervous about his prospects, he wouldn't be taking time to go back to Michigan, host Yobi and play various gigs. I think maybe he got this advice, and is taking the proper steps to hone his musical vision. Like Janizzle said, folks like Anoop (as much as I like the guy) need to make moves NOW to have a shot at even a minor deal. At this point, it's ludicrous to assume that nobody has approached Matt. With all the buzz he's received, the proving himself he's done on tour, the industry connections he's made, you mean to tell me that everyone else EXCEPT the record labels are delusional? Not possible! I really think, especially with how Matt is about divulging details about his career and personal life, there's a HUGE chunk of the story we don't know. And do we really want him to string us along and get us riled up with news that may later fall through? That would be really disappointing for everyone!

No, I think that Matt is doing the right thing here. So he mentioned jazz festivals. So? He also mentioned Napa Valley! That's pretty dern close to L.A., so who's to say he won't be making moves with labels between "corporate gigs"? Anywho, lots can change in a matter of days, and didn't someone say this interview was conducted on Aug. 25th? Who knows what was going through Matt's head on that particular day, or even how things have changed since then? Maybe the interviewer's questions didn't illicit more telling responses from Matt. Again, since we only know tiny fragments of what's really happening, it's too difficult to know for sure. I am more confident than ever that things will fall into place for our guy, and just because it's not falling into place TODAY, doesn't mean that it won't ever happen. And yeah, I'm giving Matt every benefit of the doubt here, but I believe so strongly in his talent and his desire to follow his passion that I have no problem doing that.

I think I just flucuate from day to day on how I feel about Matt's career and where he might or might not be regarding his future at any given time just because I care about him dearly. I love Matt to death and I do have alot of faith in him (hence me bolding the last sentence of Ovenmitt's post) ..I think that sums it up..I absolutely believe in Matt's skills as an excellent singer and piano player and all I was saying I just don't want him to get "stuck" back in MI and somehow not excel the way I hope he does to have a profitable and good career ahead of him. Shoot I would selfishly LOVE for him to stay in MI because like I've said before I can travel there in a heartbeat and its not to far for me to go but I just want him to succeed and want the world for him and that is going to require him to travel and be "available" for different opportunites.....that's all! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:18 pm

I realize that we shouldn't be fretting over every word that Matt says in his interviews. We know that Matt doesn't like to blab about any potential deals before they are finalized. Very Happy

I agree that Matt probably will use his YOBI TV connection to record a demo in Michigan. The only reason why I brought up moving to LA was because a lot of AI fans (not Matt fans) always say that the Idols have to "strike while the iron is hot". If Matt waits to move to LA, the music industry will be focusing on other new artists by then. The media will be focusing on the Season 9 finalists around February/ March 2010, so Matt and the rest of the un-signed people won't get as much attention. No

It took Jason Castro almost a year to get his record contract, partly because he wanted the publishing rights to his songs as part of the deal. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Matt seems to be taking his time. Also, I think Matt doesn't want to be a "puppet" who has to agree to whatever songs the record company chooses for him. I read that was part of the reasons why Taylor Hicks and Bo Bice were not happy with the contracts they had with 19E/19Records. That's why I never really wanted Matt signed with 19E like KRADISON. They probably would have given Matt the "left-over" songs that they didn't choose for Kris's upcoming album, and of course, they would be gushing about Adam's CD most of the time! Rolling Eyes

In the long run, I think Matt is better off trying to find a record deal without 19EVIL. Obviously, they valued Kris/Adam/Allison/Danny over him, so I don't think they would have put much effort into promoting his career if they had signed him! Matt could use some help from Sam Ronson and maybe Colbie Caillat, and both of them are based in LA. You never know who could be right connection to the music biz-- Brooke White is on an Indie label, but Randy Jackson is one of her producers! sunny
Back to top Go down
megryan67

megryan67

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:47 pm

I enjoyed reading this interview. Matt I won't you to know that you would never let us down, no matter what. We are all here to support you!
I'm not worried at all for you, when it's meant to happen, it will happen for you. Very Happy Patience is a virtue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another new interview   Another new interview I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another new interview
Page 1 of 1