Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Advice from someone who knows...

Go down 
+14
Lisa_M
Janizzle
Cacity87
macigirl
caro_lalala
pasnthru
sgr91
OvenMitt
graciecat
Jenna
mattyg93
mattyfan
ShellBen
Lana
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lana

Lana

Advice from someone who knows... Empty
PostSubject: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 11:22 am

Found this over on Mjs this morning and decided to read it. It is Chris Sligh's advice to all of the season 8 contestants and it is very real and an unapologetic realistic view on what their careers will be, and good advice on how to maximize on this. Here is his blog (I highlighted parts I felt benefited Matt the most):

"To the Idols: A Realistic look at your career prospects
So, American Idol Season 8 is officially finished. Last tour date done. People are moving home and for the next several years will try to move on. I believe that this season of Idol was one of the most talented, but if History repeats itself the majority of these Idols will do nothing in music and will be washes within 3 or 4 years. Not trying to be mean, just being real.

From my season of Idol, Jordin Sparks has an actual career. Blake probably should've but doesn't - though he does have a chance to connect in the dance world with his new music. Melinda is not doing much (though here album was very well received from the critics). Lakisha just had a baby, but not much going on on the music front. Chris Richardson is writing a lot, but hasn't released more than a single so far. Phil has a chance to connect in the Christian market, but nothing is guaranteed. Sanjaya is...well, Sanjaya. Haley is in Texas doing something - not exactly sure if it involves music. Gina is putting together some new music, finally, 2 years later. And then there's me.

If you look at Season 7, the odds are about the same. You've got Cook and Archuletta who are doing reasonably well. Then Castro who is signed to a major label. Michael Johns and Brooke have records out and have seen some chart success. Carly is now the frontwoman for Evanescence part 3.0. And the rest are trying to get something going.

So, how is it that the fat, not-so-great-looking guy who came in 10th place is the 2nd or 3rd most successful from his season and top 5 most successful over Season 6 & 7? The difference is pure drive and ambition and work ethic. I haven't had luck on my side. I haven't had a major label behind me yet (though that is about to happen). I haven't had 19E's help AT ALL. I have simply worked my tail off, been pro-active and worked on becoming better at my craft. Not that other people haven't worked...sure they've worked...but not on the right things...and they've had an unrealistic view of what Idol can and will do for them.

Idol does not break new artists. It is a marketing machine for 19E to break their artists. They don't care about the ones who get away unless they make really really good (i.e., Jennifer Hudson and...well, that's it). It may sound cold, but the point of this is to rattle your brain and make you realize what is about to happen in your life.

So, my message to Season 8. You're not going to be successful. You're not going to be millionaires (with the exception of MAYBE Kris and Adam). You are going to struggle. No one will care about you. Those fans who've been asking for your autograph all tour long - 98% of them don't give a flying poo about you once next season of Idol starts. They're not going to buy your album when you put it out 2 years late. Chances are you'll never feel the rush of playing in front 10,000 people who care about you again. Your star is waning and remarkably quickly.

In other words, your days of being a star are over. But that's all right - so are mine. And I'm one of the most successful for my season of Idol. I'm not a star. Chances are I never again will be.

But here's what's awesome. I'm not a star. Few people know my name anymore. But I get to do music for a living. And I make a healthy living doing it. It's hard work. The late nights and early mornings sure do suck after a while. At 31 I wish I didn't have to travel in a van any more. But I did 137 shows last year. And that paid my bills and I even had some left over. And this year I'll do a few more shows than that. And that pays my bills with a little left over. And my writing career is helping me put money away. So...for those of us Idols who few care about any longer, there is hope.

Let me explain what needs to happen for you in the next few months.

First off: surround yourself with people who will be real with you. People who will tell you your music sucks, if it sucks. People who will tell you when you're being an idiot. People who will keep you grounded. But these same people also need to be the people whose shoulder you can cry on, who will encourage you when you do well and who will cheer for you. Your mom and dad are going to think everything you do is great, so they don't count. Get a manager who is someone who knows music and will challenge you when it's not quite good enough. Put together a team that loves you, cares for you...but will kick your butt when it needs to be kicked.

Secondly: Leave home and live WAY below your means. Move to a music city. L.A., New York or Nashville. Move there immediately. Don't wait for a record deal, because chances are you'll never have a record deal. Oh and when you move, get a crappy apartment that is cheap, cheap, cheap. You're not a rock star. You're a wanna be who happens to be more famous than most wanna bes are. Get a part time job with flexible hours that will help pay your bills...your tour savings will fly out of your bank account faster than you realize. $200k or whatever looks like a lot of money until you have to spend it. You need to finance your lifestyle and though a few gigs will pay big bucks most won't. So live WAY below your means. $200k now doesn't mean you will make remotely close to that next year.

Thirdly: Start booking yourself. CAA isn't going to book you. They don't care about you. Your deal with them is only because they have a deal with Idol. They care about the $100k gigs that Adam and Kris are getting right now. You're not going to get those. So, don't keep waiting for CAA to book you. They won't. Period. So, this is what you do: within the next 3 months pick 15 towns or cities within 5 hours of where you are and search the internet for their bar/music venues. Once you've found a couple in each town, pick up the phone and call them. Tell them who you are, tell them you're calling for yourself and that you want to play a show there in the next couple of months. Once you've put together a show in each of those 15 cities, you have yourself a tour. You won't make much money, so do it cheap...if you play an instrument go out solo. If you don't play, take out 1 player who can do what you want to do, and get him to work for cheap. Just so you have an idea, most of the time you should be able to get good players that will start with you for $100-150/show. You need merch to sell. You won't have music product yet - at least not new - so you need to have an array of GREAT t-shirts and gear. Cool designs that incorporate who you are as an artist. Don't get your mom to do the designs. Don't get your friends to make the t-shirts for cheap. Spend tour money on this stuff...it will pay back in spades. Cool gear = sales = people wearing your name on their chest = building a fan base. Once you've got shows booked and gear, get in a rental car and rock.

Fourthly: learn the freaking music business. Buy a book. Buy several books. Get Donald Passman's book All You Need to Know About the Music Business. Read it 3 times. Some of the info is dated, but it will genuinely help you understand why record labels are hurting and why you probably don't need a record label. Part of learning the music business is figuring out where you fit. I had mainstream major label deals offered, but studied and thought hard and figured out that the place I fit best in Christian music. For you it might be pop (though it should be understood that few artists - even major label artists - start off by jumping into the pop world...they usually start in smaller genre and work their way over to pop) or r&b...but study and figure out where your place is. If you're a white r&b dude, make sure there's a catch...there's already Robin Thicke... how is what you do different? We don't need another Robin Thicke or Justin Timberlake. If you try to be like them you'll always be considered simply a cheap American Idol rip off of said artists. And honestly that is the worst thing you can be - a cheap Idol take on something else.

Fifthly: once you've moved to a music town, find people to jam and write with. You may not be a writer now, but you have a voice and you need to be able to speak with your voice. What does that mean? find people who are better writers than you, write with them, even if it's a matter of you simply finding a melody that fits your voice...oh, and if they write the majority of the song, offer to give them more credit than just the normal 50%. People who know you'll take care of them will work hard to help you be better. At this point that is what you need more than anything else: people who will work hard to make you better.

Sixthly: Work, work, work, work, work. Period. You have to work. Nothing and I do mean nothing is going to be given to you. 19E is not going to come back around. They're done with you. The music business, for the most part, will treat you like an outsider. And they should. You are just a game show contestant who still needs to prove why you should be here. They don't know you've worked for years in clubs or worked as a songwriter or developed your piano skills amazingly - all they know is that you're a game show contestant who is more famous than them for doing nothing other than making it on a tv show. So, go out and prove to them why you belong by working harder than they do to be better.

Seventhly: Get into a studio and get music down asap. Even if it's just an EP. However, walk the wire of finding the balance between getting music out and shooting yourself in the foot. If you don't have the songs, don't record music just to have it. You will kill your career. But, on the other hand, you need to get music out asap. So...write good songs or find good songs quickly.
Eighthly (and finally): Be proactive. I've said it before, but it's important to get: nothing is going to be given to you. If you get a record deal now, you deserve it. Why? Because you will have had to work for it. You will have gotten it because you worked not because Idol worked. this is about you, now. You have the power to be successful. You are talented. You have a skill set that should be shared with the world. But you have to seize the reins of your career and do something with your skills."
Back to top Go down
ShellBen

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Harsh (maybe overly so at points), but Chris knows his shit and a lot of this is true. I don't think Matt needs as much of a reality check as some of the others do when it comes to level of success (he seems pretty realistic about becoming rich and famous)...but I do worry about the way he plays his cards. I totally believe he can make a decent living as a working musician, who travels the country touring and making music and connecting with his audience...even if the audience is small. He just has to make the right choices. There's some great advice in there and I hope he reads it.
Back to top Go down
mattyfan

mattyfan

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm not worried about Matt. It's pretty clear he's very much aware of reality. He has modest dreams and is willing to work hard for it. I think most Idols are aware to some extent. It's often the fans who get STUCK in Idol-land dreams. Daughtry-like success isn't likely to happen - it's only happened ONCE in the last 8 years.

Matt's writing - so we know he's working to get HIS OWN music.
Matt's booking shows - he's mentioned fundraisers and I'm sure there are others.
Matt's hosting "Make the Cut" - he's keeping some visibility and he's probably gonna use their studio to record an EP if a major label deal doesn't happen.

I think all else will follow for Matt. A few original songs is key, then he should try to open for someone popular enough...like Gavin. Wink I'm confident his music career will happen.
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 1:16 pm

You know I guess Chris Sligh is saying it like it is, and that's the reality. Still..... He sounds a bit bitter to me. Just saying.
You can't even compare Matt to him. It's a whole other level. Matt has tons of potential while this guy Sligh never did.

I think Matt is one of the most special talented finalists AI has ever had and has tons of potential to make it big int he business. And I am not saying this because I am biased but I really believe Matt has what it takes to make it big.

The only thing that is pending right now is for him to get signed. I think the good news will happen, I doubt record label scouts were ever in the audience to see Sligh. Matt is different. He will get signed by a major label hopefully and I still believe with all my heart he will succeed.
It's hard being patient but I still want to say IT WILL HAPPEN!
#signmattgiraud is about to materialize and after that the sky is the limit for Matt. Advice from someone who knows... Icon_sunny

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Oh wow I don't even know what to say right now other than that was overwhelming to read but IMO everything said was so true and I'm praying Matt reads this. At first I was like STFU Chris your an effing jerk but then I read it all and realized he wasn't trying to be mean or insulting. He genuinely was trying to be helpful. Even though it broke my heart reading this, made me extremely angry, took the wind out of my sails, and damnit made me cry thinking of Matt struggling in vain I'm glad Lana posted it.

I am confident that if Matt takes this advice he will make a career as a working musician. I think Matt already is aware of most of this and like others have said he is creating music, booking gigs, and working hard. Matt has 3 (and probably a hell of a lot more) things going for him that some of the other idols don't. He has a true passion for music that will help keep him hungry and focused, he can accompany himself on an instrument, and he is a natural born performer. Matt also seems to be a realist and has already stated that superstardom is not what he is shooting for right now. Matt seems to just want to be able to make a career out of his time on AI. LOL the only thing I worry about is Matt's love of shopping and finer things. Hopefully the $300 jeans and expensive sunglasses he has now are enough.
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Wow.. All you guys are making me worried now. Advice from someone who knows... Icon_cry
So now no one is expecting Matt to get signed soon! He said it was only a matter of time!
Please keep the faith! He will get signed! He will.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 1:47 pm

mattyg93 wrote:
Wow.. All you guys are making me worried now. Advice from someone who knows... Icon_cry
So now no one is expecting Matt to get signed soon! He said it was only a matter of time!

I don't think anyone said that Matty. I for one definitely feel he could be signed but right now he isn't or at least not that we know of. Also you need to keep in mind that even being signed doesn't gaurentee success. Matt will still need to do all these things Chris spoke of in his blog especially being an American Idol contestant. Just look at the majority of the idols that have been signed. Where are they now? Bo, Diana Degarmo, Fantasia, Katharine Mcphee, Taylor Hicks, that country singer Kristen something from last season, Rueben, Blake, and even Clay? Matt could still have an amazing very successful career going the indie route for now. Continuing to build his fanbase by putting out amazing music, touring, and by us helping to keep his name out there and by continuing to support him anyway we can through sites like this one or Cacity's blog, supporting him through twitter, facebook, and myspace, attending his shows in out community and bringing people there that may not know about him. In general just street teaming. I am right now working on a site for street teaming. Hopefully he is signed and street teaming won't be as important but I just feel that I need to do something to show my support and to help keep the interest in Matt alive. I hope now that the tour is over people are still here and that we keep posting and talking about Matt! I will share the streetteaming site when it is finished. There will be a blog and a forum to plan and discuss street teaming ideas. It won't be official obviously but at least we are doing something. Just like Jason Castro's fans did. I know I'd rather have Matt go indie than nothing at all. So I will support him either way and I know everyone here will too.
Back to top Go down
graciecat

graciecat

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Well, what a way to ruin my beautiful Sunday Morning! pale I do agree that much of what Chris has to say is true to the real world of musicians trying to make a career in the music world and we see Matt already doing many of those mentioned. While I did not watch alot of Chris's Idol season (HATED IT! especially our local boy~Sanjaya- No ) and I did not follow the tour at all, I do remember his time on the show. IMO Matt is a more complete performer. I don't know if Chris plays an instrument but we all know how Matt can rock the piano! Although it didn't always come across on Idol, Matt's personality and stage presence has shone on tour! sunny For me, Chris was meh....The passion we all see that Matt has for music is so far beyond anything I ever saw out of Chris. Matt has won new fans and critics alike all summer after seeing his tour performance. He knows how to reach out to his fans and build relationships with peers. He has set realistic goals and is doing things that Chris mentioned he needs to do, with the possible exception of living cheap- Razz (May have to put a hold on fedora shopping for awhile Matty! Smile )

I totally believe Matt will be getting that record deal, maybe not as soon as we all had hoped, but it is coming! Until then, he does have MANY LOYAL fans who will continue to support and encourage him. I do hope ALL the idols take what Chris has said with an open mind and consideration as it affects their music careers.
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 2:32 pm

While I feel that this article is indeed very honest and helpful, I think Matt is well aware of all this stuff already. If he hasn't defined "proactive", I don't know who has! Matt has done or is doing all the stuff this Chris Sligh guy suggested, so that's that. Plus, I think having the industry be able to see your potential is just as valueable as the fans seeing it, especially the Idol fans (who are mostly, how to put this gently, not quite refined in their musical tastes!). Matt posesses all the ingredients to be successful, and that's not for nothing just because the Idol voting audience can't see it. These are the same people who were convinced that Taylor Hicks and Clay Aiken were the second coming, and cast aside the likes of JHud and Daughtry. The ones who should REALLY be reading this article are the signed Idols, IMO. They are probably quite skewed in their view of how their careers are going to pan out, especially with all these producers and writers scurrying around doing most of the work for them (cough Adam cough cough Danny cough). The one thing I do agree with Sligh about is the talent level of this season's crop of Idols. I'm afraid that I won't be able to watch Idol next year, because the impression Matt made on me just can't be replicated. It happened once in eight years, and is highly unlikely to ever occur for me again. Kinda like Haley's Comet or something.
Back to top Go down
mattyfan

mattyfan

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 3:27 pm

Jenna wrote:
mattyg93 wrote:

I don't think anyone said that Matty. I for one definitely feel he could be signed but right now he isn't or at least not that we know of. Also you need to keep in mind that even being signed doesn't gaurentee success. Matt will still need to do all these things Chris spoke of in his blog especially being an American Idol contestant. Just look at the majority of the idols that have been signed. Where are they now? Bo, Diana Degarmo, Fantasia, Katharine Mcphee, Taylor Hicks, that country singer Kristen something from last season, Rueben, Blake, and even Clay? Matt could still have an amazing very successful career going the indie route for now. Continuing to build his fanbase by putting out amazing music, touring, and by us helping to keep his name out there and by continuing to support him anyway we can through sites like this one or Cacity's blog, supporting him through twitter, facebook, and myspace, attending his shows in out community and bringing people there that may not know about him. In general just street teaming. I am right now working on a site for street teaming. Hopefully he is signed and street teaming won't be as important but I just feel that I need to do something to show my support and to help keep the interest in Matt alive. I hope now that the tour is over people are still here and that we keep posting and talking about Matt! I will share the streetteaming site when it is finished. There will be a blog and a forum to plan and discuss street teaming ideas. It won't be official obviously but at least we are doing something. Just like Jason Castro's fans did. I know I'd rather have Matt go indie than nothing at all. So I will support him either way and I know everyone here will too.

Jenna, you explained it perfectly.

Mattyg, I'm hopeful and confident Matt will have a successful career and he will get signed. Timing is a question but I'm not worried. Also, what exactly are people's perception of "success"?

The best thing to do as fans is to keep showing our support. An idea...won't it be great if the creative ones can help design Matt's t-shirts?
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Some people are (not here but mainly on Mjs) are bashing this blog using the excuse of Chris being too egotistical-which I agree with- and over shooting his own success-which I also agree with, but the point of this blog is NOT Chris Sligh, or even To tell these idols how to succeed. The point for me is that at some point reality is going to set in for a lot of these idols (or maybe more likely the fans of these idols) and it's best to be prepared for it so that when it does happen it'l be easy to pick yourself back up and keep pushing forward.

I agree that Matt has his head on pretty straight from all appearances (except perhaps he does come off as a little financially immature). But I do feel like he understands that it is best not to rely too heavily on getting a major label, or even having that mjaor label 100% behind you once you are signed (and no Matty this does not mean that I feel like Matt won't be signed). I agree with Ovenmitt that the signed artists could also benefit greatly from this taste of reality because I feel like they, and their fans, have set unrealistic goals for their futures based solely on the fact that they were picked up by 19 (so was KLC and Taylor, and Blake). Alot of the things he says in this blog are common sense and things I have said to myself (too afraid to say it here for fear of being labeled "negative") but coming from him it means a little more because he has not only accomplished SOME level of success, he did it using the idol platform. The same platform Matt will be using.

I also agree, however, that Matt's chances are greater than Chris'. This season of idol has been one of the most talked about and dubbed the most talented- believe it or not this is not all because of Adam Lambert. These kids have made their marks on the idol stage and tour. Also Matt finshed 5th on this great season while Chris got 10th on, from what I have been hearing, was one of idol's worst seasons. Matt has an icredible fanbase (now) and tons of friends and support from those with credible ties already in the music industry. Many on MJs are saying Matt can have a moderate career playing the piano in a huge band, but I don't think he has to. Matt has more than enough positive reinforcements on his side to make it as a solo aritist. Will he have to work a bit harder than the top 4? Without a doubt, but I'm sure he already knows that.

One of the most important parts of this blog, for me, was the paragraph that stated the importance of not only surrounding yourself with those that love you, but also with those who will keep it real with you and tell you when something is crap. Matt doesn't need a bunch of Yes-men telling him that his every move is perfect and that he is a HUGE MEGA STAR and will succeed no matter what (that is what the fans are for). Matt needs someone on his side with credible musical knowledge to tell him when he sucks. Then help him to make it better.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative I just want the best for Matt and all of this is coming from an honest place. I hope no one is offended by it.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:42 pm

Well I'm not offended Lana because I agree with everything you said! Don't ever be afraid to post your thoughts that is what this forum is for. If you are feeling something I guarentee you others are feeling the same.

And people over at MJ's STFU! You have no idea what your talking about. Matt is way too good to be a piano player for another band. Those people over there don't have an original thought amongst them. They would never be saying that if that stupid interviewer hadn't. Urghhh I hate that site! Advice from someone who knows... Icon_evil
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 6:22 pm

I've only been able to lurk a little this weekend so I'm a little late to the party.

I find it hard to disagree with much of what Chris had to say. Yes, he may overestimate his own success a bit and yes he may be a little on the blunt side, but in the end, he's actually in the music business and most of what he has said we've heard from others.

I know that the natural reaction is to try and compare Chris and Matt before determining what whether what Chris says is applicable to Matt or not. I'm fairly sure that if I polled this board, we would overwhelmingly agree that Matt is significantly more talented than Chris. But guess what, that may not matter. It hasn't mattered that Matt is more gifted than Danny, Kris, or (if the rumors of the signing are correct) Michael - they're all signed and Matt is not. It is because the music business is fickle, unpredictable, and unfair. There are amazing musicians who play local venues who never strike it big and Brittany makes millions of dollars. The music business nowadays is about making a profit and having amazing talent is not necessarily valued. Beyond that, I know we are all anxious for Matt to get signed, mostly because it will hopefully lessen his burden in trying to promote himself, but it is by no means a guarantee of success. Jenna has plenty of examples of people signed to major record labels who are no longer "working musicians".

Obviously the first issue is what is our idea of success? What is Matt's? He's been pretty consistent about wanting to put out music that touches people and be able to connect with people. He has said he is not necessarily interested in making millions. Is he just being politically correct - I doubt it. I'm sure he would not shun selling out 25K person venues or multiplatinum record sales but I believe a man who wrote "One Man Audience", way before idol, that creating amazing music that touches the soul is what is most important to him. I am certainly a fan for life and I suspect many others are, but I also agree that he needs more fans and he needs to be exposed to those others in order for them to be hit by the proverbial 2x4. Matt certainly needs to do his part (especially if a record deal isn't imminent) and we need to do our part. American Idol is on people's mind's until the next season starts. It will be just so long that Matt is able to command an audience based on AI so he needs to start gaining other fans right now. The good news is that anyone who has ever seen Matt perform or met him in person, is instantly in love with him and his music. So once we expose these people to Matt, it's easy because he is such an amazing talent as well as being a charismatic performer and wonderfully sweet and humble human being.
Back to top Go down
pasnthru

pasnthru

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 6:48 pm

Yuck....that's the way I'm feeling right now. I couldn't stand Chris when he was on Idol so it's really hard to listen to him giving advice to Matt (yes, I know he's not giving it just to Matt - but he's the only one I care about so that's the way it feels to me). Chris has a decent enough voice but IMO has zero stage presence, a negative-zero personality and absolutely zero "it" factor, and (again, my opinion), hard to look at.

Good for him that he's (barely) making a living touring and playing music (any idea who's he's playing with???), but I felt he had a huge ego on Idol and this ego seems to be still intact with his all-so-sage "advice" for the idols. It's one thing to give a few words on working hard and to list a few things that might help with success, but this long rant sounded like sour grapes to me.

I've said this several times in this forum and I'll say it again....Matt is a smart guy who has a good feel for this industry and who he is as a performer, and has a great work ethic. He's going to have a great career.

P.S. I take offense to Chris implying that fans are fickle and will leave you as soon as a new season of Idols emerges. I for one will wait for a CD from Matt as long as it takes and will continue to support him throughout his career. Chris's fans must not have felt the same way.
Back to top Go down
caro_lalala

caro_lalala

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:02 pm

I really enjoyed the blog entry and I think he is giving realistic advice, he's been thru it...

I won't lie that it did worry me the fact that Matt is not in LA or NY, any idol that has not been signed needs to keep the momentum and I also agree with others that he knows that.

Doing the Yobi.tv and the show at GR, but I just wish it was something more in the cities where you are being there to see and be seen... The East Coast is a great place to be around and play in small venues and build more fan base that the one he already has.

I for sure will support anything he does, but at the same time I question myself for how long? if it wasn't for this forum or MJs update how will I know what is Matt up to?

Let's be real, we are not the majority, it's those that voted, that maybe went to a concert and moved on... to those he also needs to think about, how to get to them and how can he communicate officially to them.

I only got twitter to follow him.

Jenna, we need to get together with him and crearte his official web page!!! let's get it on Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:28 pm

caro_lalala wrote:
I really enjoyed the blog entry and I think he is giving realistic advice, he's been thru it...

I won't lie that it did worry me the fact that Matt is not in LA or NY, any idol that has not been signed needs to keep the momentum and I also agree with others that he knows that.

Doing the Yobi.tv and the show at GR, but I just wish it was something more in the cities where you are being there to see and be seen... The East Coast is a great place to be around and play in small venues and build more fan base that the one he already has.

I for sure will support anything he does, but at the same time I question myself for how long? if it wasn't for this forum or MJs update how will I know what is Matt up to?

Let's be real, we are not the majority, it's those that voted, that maybe went to a concert and moved on... to those he also needs to think about, how to get to them and how can he communicate officially to them.

I only got twitter to follow him.

Jenna, we need to get together with him and crearte his official web page!!! let's get it on Advice from someone who knows... Icon_biggrin

Well I don't know about an official webpage he needs better than what I can do but hopefully he will talk to some of us about street teaming. Come on Matt communicate with your fans. Get blogging! Cacity has a great place for you to do it! I will also have the streeteaming site up soon. I am not done but I'll let you guys see just in case you have any input. I have made a blog and then a forum off of it. Like I said it's pretty bare right now as it is still a work in progress any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://mattgiraudfans.net/http:public/?page_id=2

Oh the sliding door pictures are not set up yet but if you click on each individual picture you will see the ones I choose to use.

http://mattgiraudstreetteam.forumotion.net/index.htm

I made the forum very similar to here for site recognition. This is also not completed. Cindy if you are reading I'd love if you could change the background. Instead of Giraudsquad could you change it to the Unofficial Matt Giraud Street Team. If you can't that's ok! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:01 pm

That all looks great Jenna!! I don't know how you do it all but It's incredible! Thanks for all you do cheers (and Cindy and Cacity as well with the designs and the SignMattGiraud blog)
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:20 pm

I always wonder why Matt never said anything like Anoop that he was going to move to LA to keep pursuing a music career.

Even this guy Sligh said that the best advice would be to move to a music city like LA, NYC or Nashville. But from what I heard Matt is not in any rush to do that, he just said that he would move to wherever the label said they need him to go.

He also said that he felt that the people who move to LA just look for exposure and he felt he they already had tons of that.
So... the dreamer in me believes that Matt might have that record deal almost ready so there was no point for him to move to LA right now. After the deal is announced officially he will move.
That's my theory and I am sticking to it. Advice from someone who knows... Icon_wink
It will happen guys, Matt will get signed! I can feel it.
Back to top Go down
macigirl

macigirl

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:38 pm

mattyg93 wrote:
I always wonder why Matt never said anything like Anoop that he was going to move to LA to keep pursuing a music career.

Even this guy Sligh said that the best advice would be to move to a music city like LA, NYC or Nashville. But from what I heard Matt is not in any rush to do that, he just said that he would move to wherever the label said they need him to go.

He also said that he felt that the people who move to LA just look for exposure and he felt he they already had tons of that.
So... the dreamer in me believes that Matt might have that record deal almost ready so there was no point for him to move to LA right now. After the deal is announced officially he will move.
That's my theory and I am sticking to it. Advice from someone who knows... Icon_wink
It will happen guys, Matt will get signed! I can feel it.

Love your positive attitude, Mattyg!! We just have to be patient. Which is SO difficult because we all want it now for Matt. But good things will happen for that boy!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 am

I updated the blog with a post about Chris's thoughts. Leave a comment over there too if you guys get a chance...just want to keep things going and active.

Also, I tweeted Chris about it and got a reply!

Me:
Quote :
@ChrisSligh Read your blogpost "To the Idols" & its good to hear blunt advice sometimes. I still think @ImMattGiraud is going to get a deal.

Chris:
Quote :
@cassidyrobinson I hope so...I think that dude is crazy talented...saw some of his tour performances...wow...killer

Anyway, thought that would be encouraging to you guys. Chris seems like a fan of Matt! Perhaps he just wants the best? I agree with everyone that Matt is WAAAAY more talented than Chris (even though, I admit I was a Chris Sligh fan after his "Kiss From A Rose" audition --> check it out, it was great!) But, Matt does need to take some advice from others who have "gone before." Matt seems to have a good musical direction already, I'm not too too worried - but I just keep praying and hoping for the BIG news!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cassidylrobinson
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 12:18 am

I saw your tweet and his response and thought it was very sweet. Thanks for sharing. I have every intention of posting on your blog but I just haven't found the time yet. Will do tomorrow!

I also liked Chris and was actually sad when he left during his season but no he is not anywhere close to being as talented as Matt! But then again IMO not many are!

I still feel very positive about Matt's career. He is too talented and passionate about music to not be successful. Like SGR said there are many levels of success and people define success differently. Maybe he won't sell millions of CD's but really how many artists do anymore. Not even multi-platinum selling artists like 3 Doors Down sold millions with their newest release. Hell when they released their CD they hit #1 on billboard and only sold approx 150,000 CD's the first week and that was last year. Compare that to 10 and even 5 years ago and that is a paltry number. Matt will do very well with or without that label but of course I am praying for him to sign with one because it will make it easier for him.

Matt will make amazing music and once he gets started people will come to his live performances because once you see Matt once you need to see him again and again! LOL I know I went over board this summer and I can tell you I never got tired of hearing those same 3 songs for 5 concerts! And if he sings the same 3 songs for the soap event or his solo show I will still be happy! Of course I am praying to hear some of his original music.
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 1:13 am

Quote :
Matt will do very well with or without that
label but of course I am praying for him to sign with one because it
will make it easier for him.

Exactly. Think about it, all the idols that Sligh mentioned who went indie only managed to sell 5K-10K at the most. That is just sad.
Matt is special.I just believe with all my heart that he is destined for big big things.
hat's why I also want him to get signed, I just believe that if Matt is handled well and gets surrounded by pros in the industry ( top producers, songwriters, mentors) the sky is the limit for him. For me Matt is raw special talent. Diamond in the rough, once is fully polished.. Ooooh. Watch out everybody!

I feel like Cacity, it will happen and I will continue to hope for the BIG NEWS!
It will come you guys! This great voice inside of me is saying: Be patient, be patient! All of us will be pleaseantly surprised! Advice from someone who knows... Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Janizzle

Janizzle

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 3:28 pm

So...I've had some time to think about what Chris Sligh has said and read nearly 200 comments on MJ's. Now, I'll finally give my opinion.

I have to say that this advice he gives really has me worried about Matt. We know that Matt is hungry and that the passion is stronger than ever, but I just really hope he keeps the strong work ethic that is needed.

I am a little concerned because he's not moving to a NYC or LA. I know Matt said he thinks he's had enough exposure, but I somewhat see this view as complacent and perhaps naive. I don't know how long this Yobi commitment is but hopefully he can move from it quickly and have something new to work on. Hopefully he will have access to the studio and hopefully he will be spending his money wisely.

I think Matt has to know that things will not be handed to him, especially as a 5th placer being just on the outside looking in. He has worked his butt off all summer long winning the love and support of thousands who never noticed him or acknowledged him before. I really hope that he has a gameplan (ie MANAGEMENT) for how to best market himself after the tour. I want to see less tweets about downtime and more tweets about public appearances.

I'm really excited about the prospects of Matt writing music. He's got some pretty talented friends for fans, such as Samantha Ronson, Colbie Callait, and has been getting tweets from Josh Hoge, Chris Richardson, Blake Lewis, David and Andrew Cook, AND Jason Castro...and I'm sure I've left somebody out.

I would love to see him have an Elliott Yamin type of career...I think Elliott actually has a publishing deal and is indie, so even though his 2nd album for some strange reason has not sold as well, he's still doing alright and he's still working.

Don't get lazy, Matt! You have so many people will still support you but I've gotta agree--hit the ground running FAST!
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Quote :
Don't get lazy, Matt! You have so many people will still support you but I've gotta agree--hit the ground running FAST!

I think this sums up the point perfectly. I mean look at 19. They understand the importance of taking off as soon as the show is over, that is why all of their signed artists (with the exclusion of Danny as he was signed late) are either putting the finishing touches on, or are just about finished with their albums- plus Kris just dropped a single a week after tour was over and Adam and Allison are not far behind him. They know how fickle AI audiences can be, and if you don't "hit the ground running" it's easy to be run over. I'm not saying this will happen to Matt because I think he is more than aware of this- hence his already pretty full scheduled appearances. But the fact that, like Janizzle said, he is tweeting more about down time instead of writing or making any appearances kinda scares me a little.

I'm sure Matt knows a hell of a lot more than we do so all this worrying is pointless. It's just hard sometimes when you want the absolute best for someone NOT to get a little antsy at times. (sorry Matt, if you do read here, for all the stressing) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lisa_M

Lisa_M

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 5:41 pm

sgr91 wrote:
I've only been able to lurk a little this weekend so I'm a little late to the party.

I find it hard to disagree with much of what Chris had to say. Yes, he may overestimate his own success a bit and yes he may be a little on the blunt side, but in the end, he's actually in the music business and most of what he has said we've heard from others.

I know that the natural reaction is to try and compare Chris and Matt before determining what whether what Chris says is applicable to Matt or not. I'm fairly sure that if I polled this board, we would overwhelmingly agree that Matt is significantly more talented than Chris. But guess what, that may not matter. It hasn't mattered that Matt is more gifted than Danny, Kris, or (if the rumors of the signing are correct) Michael - they're all signed and Matt is not. It is because the music business is fickle, unpredictable, and unfair. There are amazing musicians who play local venues who never strike it big and Brittany makes millions of dollars. The music business nowadays is about making a profit and having amazing talent is not necessarily valued. Beyond that, I know we are all anxious for Matt to get signed, mostly because it will hopefully lessen his burden in trying to promote himself, but it is by no means a guarantee of success. Jenna has plenty of examples of people signed to major record labels who are no longer "working musicians".

Obviously the first issue is what is our idea of success? What is Matt's? He's been pretty consistent about wanting to put out music that touches people and be able to connect with people. He has said he is not necessarily interested in making millions. Is he just being politically correct - I doubt it. I'm sure he would not shun selling out 25K person venues or multiplatinum record sales but I believe a man who wrote "One Man Audience", way before idol, that creating amazing music that touches the soul is what is most important to him. I am certainly a fan for life and I suspect many others are, but I also agree that he needs more fans and he needs to be exposed to those others in order for them to be hit by the proverbial 2x4. Matt certainly needs to do his part (especially if a record deal isn't imminent) and we need to do our part. American Idol is on people's mind's until the next season starts. It will be just so long that Matt is able to command an audience based on AI so he needs to start gaining other fans right now. The good news is that anyone who has ever seen Matt perform or met him in person, is instantly in love with him and his music. So once we expose these people to Matt, it's easy because he is such an amazing talent as well as being a charismatic performer and wonderfully sweet and humble human being.

I totally agree with you SGR..I bolded the specific things that I think are extremely important..I think Chris is right in his thinking that even if you do win on Idol and are praised on the tour, etc, etc..your STILL going to have to work extremely hard to continue to make it no matter how talented you are..you just will! I'm sure that Matt pretty much knows all the principals that Chris is talking about but my only concern for Matt is I hope he moves very "quickly" in getting his own music out there and gets a good "team' working with him..(acourse especially if he doesn't get signed to a major label soon and as of right now that isn't set in stone either)... I hope people don't get upset with me when I write this next thing but I do think that Matt might be somewhat immature in his spending of money, working, etc. (I mean com'on guys he was by his own admission playing at the piano bars until late into the night then sleeping in, playing the video game Halo all day then going back to the bar again)..I wouldn't say this is being extremely ambitious..sorry guys and please don't get mad at me for saying that..and I don't necessarily think this was a "bad" thing for a 24 yr old but I think Matt had kinda resigned himself to this and would probably still be doing that today had he not got on AI...com'on you have to agree with me on this point right? Razz (AND YES Matt did work his butt off on tour.. but he's still gonna have to keep working his butt off for quite awhile)...and YES I do also know and agree that Matt needs a mini vacation since the tour is over but realistically he can't take too much time off...if you notice Kris, Adam, Danny, Allison all went straight from the tour to working on their music and acourse I know they have been signed but still Matt is going to have to get busy pretty soon and be very proactive also...

I also thought it was interesting that Chris said that you need to move where the music industry is which would be LA, New York, Nashville, etc...I've said this all along but no one seemed to agree with me on that (well I think Jenna did) Very Happy ...now if Matt DOES get signed he will probably be ok with commuting for awhile wherever he needs to go but no aspiring artists (which you have to remember that Matt still is whether he was a top 10 Idol contestant or not) really doesn't have the luxury of living where they want when they are first starting out...this is just my opinion....As always I will love Matt and his music forever and continue to follow him and help support him wherever and whenever I can... but I do think he still has a ways to go in developing himself maturity wise in some areas...hopefully this all makes sense to someone else on here and please don't think that i'm ragging on Matt because I'm not..I'm just being realistic I think in what its gonna take to succeed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice from someone who knows...   Advice from someone who knows... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice from someone who knows...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: All Things Matt! :: Matt There is Nothing Small About You!-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com