Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's

Go down 
+4
pebbles87
iluvmatt
sgr91
Lana
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lana

Lana

Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's Empty
PostSubject: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 11:53 am

Now that the 19 contract is up, alot of the contestants are being more free in what they are doing to prepare for a career post idol. I found this very in-depth interview with some of the idols (Michael, Allison, Scott, and anoop) where they are all but giving away the names of the companies they are working with. What I find interesting though is that the lesser idols (michael, scott) seem to be more enthused about their futures, ans have more (from they way they talk) interest in them than someone like Anoop, and even Matt from the way he has been so tight lipped. IDK if this means that what Michael and scott has going are things on a small scale and Matt can't really talk as freely because he is in waters with big fish, or if it really is just as simple as Michael and scott closer to being signed than Matt No

From http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2009/08/american-idol-contestants-in-philly-start-weighing-career-decisions-today.html

Here are some of the more interesting quotes that I have read (you should read the whole thing though, very informing)

Michael:
“There are some things happening pretty strong right now, but I cannot talk about it yet,” he says. “But there will a press release in time. There will be a Michael album next year, so that is a cool thing, and I’m very excited. He said he expects to head into the studio a couple of weeks after the tour ends.

Sarver said that many opportunities have presented themselves, “even beside a record deal, which is the main thing that we look for. But there are gigs and opportunities to be a part of different things that we’d like to be a part of, and there’s a lot of things that have come to the table that I’m going to be capitalizing on. So I’ll be out and about.”

Scott:
He said that even before the tour, “I was getting a lot of interest from the industry.” He said he’s been talking with several record labels. “I took a very proactive approach. I’ve never been someone that’s wanted to sit around and get home the day after tour and say ‘What am I going to do now?’ he said, laughing. “I immediately put my feelers out and what not and the response has been very exciting, actually.”

He said he’s halfway through producing and recording his own album, and may end up being purchased by a record label or “it’ll be a hybrid between that and recording the rest of the tracks with them. But it’ll definitely be distributed.”

Anoop:
He said he’s “nowhere near” where Allen, Lambert, Iraheta or Gokey are in their negotiations, but asked whether he has feelers out, said, “Yeah, yeah. I’m in contact with a lot of people.”

“I’m planning on moving to L.A. and pursuing what I can there,” he said. “And it’s one of those things where I need to better define my sound. All of those people have their sounds and they showcased theirs on the show. I was less successful at doing that. So my goal now is to put some stuff down, record some stuff and go about it that way.

Anyway I don't know whether to feel excited or bummed about this. I hope that labels excuse not to approach Matt isn't the same as their excuses for not approaching Anoop (lack of defining a style) because that is total BS. I am holding on pretty tightly to the statment he made about talking to 19 and other companies and hope that something comes from that. Again I think that just him mentioning 19 when asked about interest could mean that he is with the big boys and can't talk as freely until something is official, I just hate seeing these things about Michael and Scott, and barely a word about Matt. Surely Matt has created more buzz for himself than both of these guys.
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for bringing this information over here. I agree that having information about the others does help us understand Matt's position more.
This information actually made me feel a little better about Matt. Here is why:
Scott - he has always been a shameless self-promoter and one who is incapable of seeing his own limitations. Even in his exchanges with the judges, he could never understand any of their criticism, some of which were correct. Having said that, in this interview does just that - pumps himself up, self-promotes, but doesn't say anything concrete. Doesn't mention any specific labels that are interested in him and my impression of him is that he is the type to name drop. He has been pretty specific about his book deal.
Anoop - what happened to "there will be something concrete released soon about a record deal". From reading all that, it certainly does not sound he is close to signing any deals that he hinted at earlier.
Michael - we always knew he was writing and has an in-home studio. He has already said that he will release an album on his own - now he's hoping that a record company will buy it. Again, nothing different from what we heard before.

What makes me more hopeful about Matt is the fact that he actually name dropped 19E. I know many people do not want him with 19E but here is what it means to me. If 19E is indeed interested, than he is the only one on tour they're left that they're interested in (besides whatever is going on with Gokey). They may be interested because they finally woke up or because the other labels have been giving him interest. If they just woke up - it will wake up the other labels. Either way, having interest from the parent company, which Matt appears to be the only one to have, is a very positive thing.
Back to top Go down
iluvmatt

iluvmatt

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:22 pm

sgr91 wrote:

What makes me more hopeful about Matt is the fact that he actually name dropped 19E. I know many people do not want him with 19E but here is what it means to me. If 19E is indeed interested, than he is the only one on tour they're left that they're interested in (besides whatever is going on with Gokey). They may be interested because they finally woke up or because the other labels have been giving him interest. If they just woke up - it will wake up the other labels. Either way, having interest from the parent company, which Matt appears to be the only one to have, is a very positive thing.[/quote]

In my dream world, I'm thinking that 19 originally wasn't interested in Matt UNTIL other labels may have shown interest in him. Can other labels talk to Matt directly, or do they have to go through 19 first to get permission to talk to him? I'm thinking that 19 signed their "Big 3" and was going to stop there without giving the other Idols a second look (except for maybe Gokey and I don't want to talk about that right now). However, Matt's success on tour has made things interesting, to say the least. Maybe Matt has been quiet because he actually has no idea of how "in demand" he really is and what is actually going on behind the scenes. Maybe 19 is confused about whether or not they want to sign him and other labels are putting the pressure on.

I have a plaque that says, "I live in my own little world. It's okay, they know me here." I think that phrase is appropriate for this post. Smile
Back to top Go down
pebbles87

pebbles87

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 am

ohh boy... word to the wise, never read articles about record deals so close to bed.... you will think about it all night like I am right now!!

Anywho, I haven't been posting a whole lot since the summer began cuz Ive been so busy.... but believe me when I say that eveything Leah (OvenMitt) is saying is prolly what I've been thinking too... we've always been on the same page. So anyway we discussed Matt's record contract interest one day (ok, probably every day!) so I've developed a few theories about this whole situation.

I agree with the notion that 19 wasn't initially interested in Matt but has since developed a brain and decided to hop on board the Giraud train. I can also understand why 19 wasn't interested in him at first. Why? Well, on the surface at the time it didn't benefit them. What I mean by this is: they HAD to sign Kradam... they finished top 2. Alli's contract was practically written up the second she belted that last note during "Papa".... so they sign their 3 chosen ones immediately following the shows conclusion. Then they think to themselves, "anyone else?" While I think they initially may have considering adding a 4th "chosen one" to the bunch, I don't think any of the other contestants benefited them at the time. The economy is in th pooper and signing 4 contestants has only happened one other season. (The almighty season 5) Let's face it, we're all Matt fans and we're dedicated to the cause but just basing it from the show, he was technically voted off 3 times.... doesnt make us look good does it? Did he or us as fans prove that he deserved to be the 4th contestant signed???? If we look objectively at things, I think we'd find that AT THE TIME it would have been a big gamble for 19 to sign Matt.

HOWEVER.... since the tour has started, Matt has done some pretty BA fan buidling strategies (i.e. his twitter awesomeness, his strikingly beautiful tour set, and just his naturally cool dude personality meeting fans) that have really built up his appeal to fans and record labels alike. 19 can now see the benefit of signing Matt.

And I also have this idea, slightly crazy (but then again when am I NOT crazy?) that maybe Matt is the one controlling these contract talks... I mean we talk about record contracts and record labels like THEY are the ones controlling talks. Like the second a big record label has interest in him, he'll jump right to it. Maybe Matt is the one controlling his own destiny? It wouldnt surprise me in the least. But I have this thought that if 19 and him were in talks for what Im assuming has been at least a little while (based on Matt's words or actions, idk I could be wrong) wouldnt 19 want to get him to re-up the old contract? They practically own Kradison's souls with the AI contracts they signed.... I would think any other contestant they are talking to they'd want the same control.... BUT what if Matt is holding out for something better? or he's holding out for a different contract from 19? If he continues to talk to them until after the current contract ends (which he did) then they have to negotiate new terms, new language... possibly that would benefit him more than them..... tell me if that last paragraph was completely off the rocker or made absolutely no sense to anyone else but myself.... cuz it wouldnt be the first time I was told that! lol
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 8:25 am

LOL I always anticipate reading your posts pebbles, so insightful and they make me think of new angles I hadn't considered. Like the Matt controlling the negotiations angle. While I think it may be pushing right at the barriers of the envelope to assume that an up-and-coming artist with barely a portfolio would stall being signed for so long to get a golden contract deal, when one of the biggest record labels in the country has their eye on him, I'll admit that we know little of Matt's industry savvy and this could be the holdup on news.

I think though that it's more likely that whomever under the 19 umbrella has interest in Matt, hasn't definitively made up their minds or approached Matt or 19 with a contract to negotiate. Thus Matt knows that they have their eyes on him pretty strongly, but the process to approach him is taking some time. They could come up with something for him before tour ends, or decide that they will pass (which is why Matt is still prepared to record on his own). What confuses me is that from his responses he seems to be waiting on 19 to make that final decision between whether he will be signed or have to self produce. Are there no other labels outside 19 interested in him that he can consider?

Anyway, if they are smart they will sign Matt. They have been "talking" to him for some time, so I think this at least means that they will offer him something. They must have had their eyes on him since the 3rd tour date, so whatever is holding them back, I hope the discover real soon.
Back to top Go down
tonia

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:13 pm

I just watched a video interview with Matt, I think in Pittsburgh but I don't know how to transfer it here. He talked about a record deal..... the link is http//www.wpxi.com/video/20511. Sorry I don't have the savvy to do it but if someone can bring it here please? thanks much! (not saying any thing about it, I want you to draw your own conclusions, feelings, etc...)
Back to top Go down
tonia

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:19 pm

tonia wrote:
I just watched a video interview with Matt, I think in Pittsburgh but I don't know how to transfer it here. He talked about a record deal..... the link is http//www.wpxi.com/video/20511. Sorry I don't have the savvy to do it but if someone can bring it here please? thanks much! (not saying any thing about it, I want you to draw your own conclusions, feelings, etc...)

Oh, I didn't realize this was already on other threads... sorry/////1
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Oh my.

My wheels are certainly turning on this topic. Y'all know I love this kind of stuff: the speculation, the theories, the possibilities. *sigh* Where to begin?

Okay then, the other Idols' record deal talk. I agree with whomever mentioned upthread that Scott is a self-promoter, Anoop's trail appears to have gone a bit cold, and Sarver is basically making a glorified demo. But I never compare Matt to those three because his talent is in a higher caliber IMO. He has no reason to be lumped in with them, because he has a legitimate possibility of getting signed to a major label. Those others, I honestly don't feel that they do.

Then the Gokey thing. This is a peculiar situation, one that has perplexed me for months. Gokey is one that has been overtly pimped from moment one of Season 8. TPTB took his story and ran with it. Since Gokey's voice is of a love-it-or-hate-it nature, that push from producers to highlight his tragedy for ratings put more viewers into the love category in the beginning. But Gokey's popularity has steadily declined from where it was when the finals began. He really lost steam, and now it's to the point where Matt's buzz on tour has trumped Gokey's altogether. Gokey went from the obvious next choice to get signed, to the one crying wolf about his dealings with labels and mixed reviews over his mixed-bag concert set. Pebbles was right, I think, about 19 not seeing Matt as a benefit before tour. But I also think they thought the same thing about Danny. They were both on ambiguous footing in 19's eyes, and the tour was the thing that would sway them towards one or the other IF they were gonna pick up another Idol. The way I see it, the pendulum swung from stongly towards Gokey to strongly towards Matt in the space of a couple of months. But that nagging question remains: do they want to go all in for Matt? Who knows what they are considering or how serious the negociations are about Matt on the 19 front, but I'm simply pointing out that it seems to be Matt, rather than Gokey, who is under consideration with 19 at this point. I honestly think Gokey is going to sign with another label, and may have even been released early form his 19 contract in order to negociate that. This makes me happy as a clam, because I've been waiting for the Gokey mania to run it's course for some time now. I think it may have finally, genuinely happened.

So then, if that theory has any truth, what about Matt? What is the deal with him and 19? To me, just from all the info we have and how I perceive it, it's a cat-and-mouse thing. Obviously TPTB see Matt's potential: they stealth pimped him throughout the show, gave him several opportunities that NO OTHER Idols have ever been afforded, and, despite the masive finale bungle, have been pretty kind to Matt on the whole. I still believe that it was more than just blind luck that Matt closes out the first half of the concert. I know others feel that he's a big fish in a small pond in that first half, that being lumped in with lesser talents detracts from his own, but I see it as a good thing. I think it would have been a death knell to have Matt with the almighty Top 4 in concert. He'd simply be overshadowed by the mania surrounding the others yet again.

ANYWHO, to get back on topic (!), TPTB have Matt's back when it boils down to it. Ken Warwick is obviously a fan, as are Paula and Kara, and apart from the fact that 19 might not know exactly what to do with Matt, they don't want to let him go. I'd wager that other labels (Universal and Warner are my hunches) have expressed interest in our guy, and when that occurred, 19 went back to that "we want him more when others want him too" mentality. They were probably ready to just cut him loose until he turned the tour upside-down, and now his star is on the rise. We know 19 can't stand to not have claim on a cash cow or POTENTIAL cash cow, now don't we? Maybe they are just toying with him, or even being selfish with him even if he's not priority one. But a small part of me has an inkling that they may just want to keep him around as a contingency person if (or when, depending on your outlook) Kris doesn't perform to expectations. They have given Matt an incredibly long leash, what with allowing him to commit to the Yobi project, and his free mention of his relationships with celeb musicians. The only thing he's been tight-lipped about is discussions with record labels. I'm beginning to think that his comments about "no record label interest" were not exactly true. Even Matt's answer to that E Online interview question seemed rehearsed. "Waiting game"? " Stick to what I do, which is writing and booking shows"? "Make 5 good songs to present to record labels and show who I am as an artist"? Those sound like agents or managers telling him the score, and him repeating it practically verbatim. I don't claim to know about the inner-workings of the music industry or anything, but I do know about Matt, and that response seemed as if from the mouth of handlers, not Matt himself. NOT that this is a bad thing! If he's got people helping him make negociations, that's a relief in my eyes. At least he's not dangling on the precipice all alone; he's got some guidance. Even if it's 19-provided guidance, that's a hell of alot better than nothing!

So have I figured it all out? Hell no. Are any of us any closer to understanding or solving this Matt record deal thing? Not really. Does it give me hope? Absolutely. There are so many variables, so many twists and turns, and nothing is really cut-and-dry in a scenario like this. But one thing I am certain of is that Matt has the goods, and there's at least one party that realizes it (outside of us fans, of course!). As long as Matt keeps teasing us with these little tidbits of information, and as long as he remains positive and perserverant about his career, I think we'll have lots more to discuss about Matt's future. For a loooooong time.

Last edited by OvenMitt on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 9:47 pm

Hmmm...Lots to consider indeed. So what we know is Michael is gloryfying (most likely) his prospects, Scott is again self-promoting what little he has going for him, and Anoop (as much as his pending deal was blown out of proportion) seems to have very little on the horizon. Interesting indeed...And we should expect an announcement on gokey signing with some small christian or country label soon...

Onto Matt, This is all so very confusing. I wish Matt would just say something already, but I agree that the reason for him being so tight-lipped could be because he is being advised to respond a certain way...FINGERS CROSSED.

BTW is anyone but me noticing the alarming lack of tweets from Matt lately? He's been MIA for a while and idk if he is feeling tired or upset about something...I hope he's ok, I really hope Adam mania isn't finally starting to screw with his head, and most of all I hope that negotiations for that deal are going the way he wants them to.

*and I do love your posts Ovenmitt, thanks for sharing. I think I needed to hear all of the little bits we have been getting laid out and rationalized like that*
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Lana wrote:
Hmmm...Lots to consider indeed. So what we know is Michael is gloryfying (most likely) his prospects, Scott is again self-promoting what little he has going for him, and Anoop (as much as his pending deal was blown out of proportion) seems to have very little on the horizon. Interesting indeed...And we should expect an announcement on gokey signing with some small christian or country label soon...

Onto Matt, This is all so very confusing. I wish Matt would just say something already, but I agree that the reason for him being so tight-lipped could be because he is being advised to respond a certain way...FINGERS CROSSED.

BTW is anyone but me noticing the alarming lack of tweets from Matt lately? He's been MIA for a while and idk if he is feeling tired or upset about something...I hope he's ok, I really hope Adam mania isn't finally starting to screw with his head, and most of all I hope that negotiations for that deal are going the way he wants them to.

*and I do love your posts Ovenmitt, thanks for sharing. I think I needed to hear all of the little bits we have been getting laid out and rationalized like that*

It's funny, I actually see Matt's lack of tweets as a good thing. At first I thought maybe it was him being downtrodden, but with this new info we have about him "talking with 19 and other companies", I feel like his spare time is more filled with negociations and preparations, at least more than before. Of course, this is pure spectulation and wishful thinking, but I've never gotten the impression that Matt was somehow wrapped up in or fretting over Adam's perceived popularity. He seems too focused on his future and his passion to insert himself into that frivolity.
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Maybe I'm just projecting because Adam Mania is finally starting to get on my last nerves...It might be more plausible (again fingers crossed) that Matt's time right now is taken up with hashing things out with 19.

Ugh, I just wish they would get a move on! I guess they JUST started considering Matt because I remember in that interview he did a little while back he said that there was no label interest, then all of a sudden he's talking to 19 and other companies? I sometimes wonder if Matt even knows what the hell is happening...

Anyway, I know we all hate them (though I find them to be more rational than alot of AI fans) but VFTW has like a little online radio show. I was listening to this and the woman who runs topidol (this site I don't like as much) went to a recent Idol concert. She of course dissed and bashed All things idol and production and their fans, but surprisingly had good things to say about Matt; How great he was, how he is winning over lots of "frau" more than anyone else on this tour, and how she thought his set was very high energy. What surprised me most though was that the creators of VFTW all of a sudden like Matt too. In their words "we never disliked Matt, just thought he was a little boring. But you can't hate that guy"...Hmm, they did a pretty good imitation of hating him didn't they? But I digress...

Topidol liked how he seemd like just a "normal guy" and if she had seen him in a bar (as opposed to on idol I guess) how she would have thought he was really good. High praise indeed from her. Just thought I would share this because it seems to fit with what we have been saying for a while now about how great Matt is on this tour and how he is winning people over. It started with his post idol interviews (the one with slezak esp) and he is compounding it on this tour.

If people like topidol and VFTW can see it then I am certain 19 and affiliates see it. It may just be a waiting game to see what they offer him like Matt has stated...
Back to top Go down
lumma

lumma

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 11:25 pm

VFTW owner pointed Matt as the down low the chosen one from very early on. He finally changed his mind during movie night when Matt hit the bum note but until then he was pretty certain Matt was the chosen one and would win the whole thing. I am not a worster but I kind of enjoy reading that site. Smartie and a few others are just plain rude and snarky, but that Dave guy is pretty rational and has very keen eyes on this show. Even when they chose Matt as their pick, Dave wasn't being too harsh, IMO. Matt was never called dousche or any name, and he has probably the fewest comments under his thread in VFTW history. Because there really is nothing to hate on him. Still they had to have something to mock, naturally,,, so all they can say about Matt is something about mole. But I personally could give them some slack considering how other contestants are mocked and ridiculed. I think VFTW views Matt and Kris Allen similarly, sort of anti-lambert genuine real musicians.

Regarding the record deal, I was surprised when Matt namedropped 19. I thought for sure unless Matt's willing to go R&B, 19 would hardly consider Matt, given the 3 that are already signed, another possible deal with Gokey, and how they didn't like his rock side. I am still quite pessimistic on the possbility of 19 and Matt combination. If it's going to happen, Matt should somehow meet them halfway, if not taking Gokey route of selling musical identity out. I doubt Matt is willing to do that? But who knows, like Ovenmitt said Matt was the down low show favorite throughout and there could have been some big hands behind all those stealth pushing of Matt during the season. Maybe 'Hard to Handle' finally convinced them Matt CAN do soulful rock. After all, even Kara said that maybe Matt could do both, right?
So all in all, I'm not having high hopes of 19+Matt at this point but the fact that 19 is considering Matt will undoubtedly raise his stock among other labels. So, fingers crossed...
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 1:03 am

I just watched the Slezak inteview where the issue of record label signing was brought up again. Matt said something along the lines of he's talking to several labels and that he wants to make sure that he gets to write and make music he wants. Now I'm going to take a huge leap from possibly a very inocuous statement and propose that maybe the reason he isn't signed wtih 19E yet is that he's negotiating the degree of artistic control he will have over his album. I've been racking my brain to figure out why, if 19E has interest in him, they just wouldn't sign him before the original contract is up. Now I don't know how the contract is written- mainly, if it states that they can keep him under the original contract if they're still in negotiations - but you would think they would want things completed before the deadline. So the possibilities I see are either they told him that they wanted to wait until the tour was over to reevaluate him or that he is the one who is having issues with the offer in front of him and now that he is possibly no longer under contract with 19E, he may have other labels willing to give him more control. I certainly prefer the latter to the former.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is him constantly saying if nothing works out, he will put out his own music - in as much as that signals to us his fans how serious he is about doing his own music, it makes me wonder if the negotiations aren't going well.
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:36 am

sgr91 wrote:
I just watched the Slezak inteview where the issue of record label signing was brought up again. Matt said something along the lines of he's talking to several labels and that he wants to make sure that he gets to write and make music he wants. Now I'm going to take a huge leap from possibly a very inocuous statement and propose that maybe the reason he isn't signed wtih 19E yet is that he's negotiating the degree of artistic control he will have over his album. I've been racking my brain to figure out why, if 19E has interest in him, they just wouldn't sign him before the original contract is up. Now I don't know how the contract is written- mainly, if it states that they can keep him under the original contract if they're still in negotiations - but you would think they would want things completed before the deadline. So the possibilities I see are either they told him that they wanted to wait until the tour was over to reevaluate him or that he is the one who is having issues with the offer in front of him and now that he is possibly no longer under contract with 19E, he may have other labels willing to give him more control. I certainly prefer the latter to the former.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is him constantly saying if nothing works out, he will put out his own music - in as much as that signals to us his fans how serious he is about doing his own music, it makes me wonder if the negotiations aren't going well.

That's a good point, Sgr.

I was wondering about that, too. I'm actually hoping he's saying that as a "call the bluff" kind of a statement, rather than signalling negociations falling apart. Perhaps he has some genuine interest from competing labels, and it's directed towards 19 to a degree. IDK, I'm going out on a limb with that, but I'm sure we'll know eventually. I'm used to my theories being incorrect!

Speaking of, I'm tickled to read all this stuff about VFTW and their owner calling out Matt as the stealth TCO. I never knew that! Maybe one of my theories actually IS correct. I can't shake the feeling that Matt is heavily favored by 19, as evidenced by all the opportunities they gave him. Of course, all the "subtle" pushing they did to endear Matt to the viewers kind of backfired on them, but if they signed him, they could get the last laugh (y'all know that I feel like 19 is really irritated that Kris won and want to shake him ASAP. That's OvenMitt's theory #807!). And, the Idol bloggers and journalists that are coming around pleases me, too. It's like, during the season, they were all about the traditional virtues of Idol: who is the next fad? In that case, they focused all their attention on Adam. But now that all is said and done, I think their true tastes are surfacing, and they are fessing up to their appreciation for Matt. It's a hell of alot different out here in the real world. Simon said something along those lines to Matt, and I always took that as a hint for him to stick to what was true about himself, not what he thought other people wanted him to be. Well, it looks like Matt took that advice, and it's paid off for him so far. It's a lot more fulfilling to succeed as yourself than to put on an act and burn yourself out trying to maintain a facade.

ANYWHO, one more random, but kind of applicable, thought. I was watching Dreamgirls yesterday, and even though I've seen it several times, something stuck with me. At the beginning, when Jamie Foxx bribes the guy running the contest to make the Dreamettes lose, it was clearly a move of strategy. He saw the talent, but didn't want to see it squandered in a small-time act, so he was stealth and scooped them up for himself. Sure, it was underhanded, but it made me think: what if that's what's happening with Matt and 19? I surely think it happened with Allison, as they knew they wanted her very early on, regardless of her placement on Idol. I suspect they have similar feelings about Matt, wanting to retain him and actually cultivate an artist for a change. Keep in mind, I'm going out on a limb here, just talking, but perhaps they are taking a cue from all these other labels that are more nurturing to their artists. I mean, it's worked for people like Colbie, Gavin, and Mraz. Even Kelly Clarkson has long battled 19 over creative matters. Maybe they want to experiment with the angle of, SHOCK!, listening to what their artist wants, rather than treating them like an empty vessel or a product (another Dreamgirls reference!). Woah, okay, I think that's enough of my far-fetched ideas for one day! Try not to laugh at me too hard on that one, please.
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:02 am

OK, so in his idolatry video, Danny once again says that there is an imminent announcement about his record deal. He refused to say if it was with 19E or someone else. He did say that the genre is country. When Slezak pushed him on why country, he essentially said because country is really more mainstream now and that he likes the message it sends. My take is that the man has no musical identity and they told him that that is the genre they want him in, and he said OK, anything to get signed. They asked him if he writes music and he said he wrote for church but really isn't planning on writing for his first album.

That is probably the big stumbling block for Matt to get signed. I just don't see him telling labels I will do whatever you want me to do to get signed. Since Matt actually knows what kind of music he wants to produce, and write, I don't see him giving up artistic control the way Danny obviously has. That will help him in the long run but right now, it may hinder his negotiations.

For those of you who have followed my Danny rantings, will be surprised by me linking the interview here. http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/08/24/danny-gokey-american-idol-deal/ But there is a reason - Matt is in the background for almost a full minute during this interview.
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:39 pm

I completely agree about Danny, Sgr. Those like Danny and Michael pretty much have little choice but to conform to whatever will get them signed.

Matt has more room to get what he wants, I think. The style that he wants to do isn't so out there that Records Labels will be hell bent to allow him to do that music, and he is obviosly growing in popularity and becoming one of the "hot ones" outside of Kradison, so I think they are willing to give him a little of what he wants. I remember in his interview with slezak that he said he is "talking to labels right now looking for that deal where he is able to write his own music". This makes me more inclined to believe that he is hashing things out and taking a while longer POSSIBLY because unlike Gokey, he is pushing harder for the contract that allows him some artistic control over his music.

Idk, we'll see. I think at least some of the theories we have going on in here must be on the money because I just can't fathom that Matt has no label interest right now.
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 2:07 pm

Good points, Lana. I really think Matt has some bargaining chips, in that he has been a success on tour performing the type of music that he's passionate about. Proving that he can do the soul/rock genre gives Matt more leverage with whomever he's negotiating with. Danny's mixed-bag set only proves that he's a little lost, sort of an empty vessel that is willing to let himself be filled with whatever music his label thinks will sell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I heard that when Matt went to make Mind, Body &Soul, his agreeing to record most of the material on that album was contingent on allowing some of his own material to be included as well. In my opinion, the songs he wrote, "One Man Audience" and "Too Many Nights", are by far the best on that album. They are completely different from the generic R&B songs that compile the bulk of the album, much more heartfelt and personal. Even though Matt was dealing with a small potatoes label at that time, I'm sure it wisened him to the negotiation process at least a little bit. Perhaps that's what he's doing now. If he could get what he wanted back then, well, maybe his tenacity will serve him well this time around, too.
Back to top Go down
pasnthru

pasnthru

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

sgr91 wrote:

For those of you who have followed my Danny rantings, will be surprised by me linking the interview here. http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/08/24/danny-gokey-american-idol-deal/ But there is a reason - Matt is in the background for almost a full minute during this interview.

OK - I could only watch that crap for as long as Matt was in the background. I'm sorry, but IMO Danny is about as dumb as a box of rocks. He actually said, "tooken" in that interview Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's   Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reading about other's label plans may make it clearer about Matt's
Page 1 of 1