Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Is it too early to discuss this?? :)

Go down 
+10
cecilie
pasnthru
graciecat
cranberry
mattyfan
Lana
OvenMitt
mattyg93
Jenna
Cacity87
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cacity87

Cacity87

Is it too early to discuss this?? :) Empty
PostSubject: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 3:47 am

So I'm up a little late, as usual, thinking about the possibility of #SignMattGiraud becoming a reality! Shocked And I thought I would do a little googling to see what the top "record labels" out there are right now...and try and imagine one of them signing Matt!!

Let's take a vote - what label out of the following, would you like to see sign Matt?! (I know beggers can't be choosers, but we can be dreamers! Smile )

Here's the latest info I could find on the top record labels:

Quote :
UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP: 35.12 percent market share in U.S.

Labels include: Geffen Records, Island Def Jam Music Group, Motown Records, Verve Music Group, Decca Records, Interscope Records
Artists include: Gwen Stefani, Elton John, Jimi Hendrix, Kanye West, Shania Twain.

SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT INC.: 22.79 percent market share.

Labels include: Arista Records, Columbia Records, Jive Records, RCA Records.
Artists include: Alicia Keys, Usher, Chris Brown, AC/DC, Leona Lewis.

WARNER MUSIC GROUP CORP.: 21.12 percent market share.

Labels include: Atlantic Records, Warner Bros. Records.
Artists include: Madonna, R.E.M., Green Day, Eric Clapton.

EMI GROUP PLC: 8.35 percent market share.

Labels include: Capitol Records, Virgin, Blue Note.
Artists include: Coldplay, Katy Perry, The Rolling Stones, Lenny Kravitz.

So what do you guys think? From what I gather, there are music "groups" and then there are labels underneath those groups. For example, Atlantic Records is like a "sister" to Warner Bros, meaning they are both in the same "family" (under the same label) - Warner Music Group.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cacity87 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cassidylrobinson
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 10:36 am

I'll say Atlantic only because Jason Castro was picked up with them and at one point so was Constantine. Of course Constantine blew it and supposedly sued to get out of his contract for some crazy reason. So Atlantic seem open to picking up AI contestants.

Oh and it's never to early to discuss this. LOL we discussed the same thing in chat last night. Missed you Cacity!
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:44 am

How about Interscope? I think that could be a great label for Matt or maybe Epic?
I dunno where does two belong though?
Interscope would seem like a good fit.

Some artists include: 1R, James Morrison and Maroon 5. IMO Perfect fit for Matt. I think it's not too early to discuss this because we are all excited for him! It's just a matter of time when we hear the official news. I mean Matt wouldn't let us all speculate if things weren't already settled right?

I am so pumped for the next stage on Matt's career? Is it too early to discuss this?? :) Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 am

Nope. I don't think it's too early to be discussing this at all. Heck, I've been discussing it for months, it seems!

My "vote" would be for Universal. Not just because it's the largest of the Big Four record companies (although that IS a plus!), but also because they have a music publishing arm as well. If Matt signed with them and gets publishing rights, then he could get royalties for the music he writes if it's used in commercials, movies, on TV, etc. Now, I think Warner has a publishing arm, too, and if he went there, I'd be more than happy. It would also make sense because of what Jenna said about them embracing past Idols, and because Kara is A&R there. But Matt has been mentioning a lot of Universal artists lately, and it just makes me think that, if he was hammering out details with them, that they may have discussed artists in their stable that Matt could aspire to musically (Morrison, Cullum). Also, there's the mysterious Colbie thing, too. AND, Universal seems to be good at giving artists who specialize in non-pop music more mainstream appeal.

Well, whatever way Matt decides to go, I'm excited for him. I really believe that the deal he makes (or has made) will give him the artistic freedom to make a quality album, one that he can be proud of and say is "him" through and through.

*Oh, and one more strike against Sony for me? That diabolical "Twitter" single that Chris Brown just put out. I can't believe they are continuing to promote that woman-beater, and with a terrible, narcissistic song no less! Yuck.
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:09 pm

I wonder where Interscope fits in...that's a good question. I thought they were more of an independent label, but perhaps they are major. I think someone mentioned that they were even under "Universal" but I don't see them in the group above - but I got this info from an article written last Oct, so things could have changed since then.

Anyway, I agree with OvenMitt on this - my vote is for Universal. Smile For all the reasons she stated AND because I think it would do Matt well to be signed to a label that isn't spending their time promoting any other Idol contestant right now! Atlantic would be my next choice - but they just signed Jason and I think it would be good for Matt to make his own mark on his own label, if that makes sense? That way it doesn't look like Atlantic is turning into a label that picks up the "leftover" Idol contestants. Not that Jason is a "leftover," I love him! But they could start getting that record.

So far we have:

Universal (Interscope) - 2
Universal (any) - 2_
Universal total: 4

Warner Bros (Atlantic) - 1
Sony (J/Columbia/Arista) - 1

Ok...have any of you guys gone as far to look at the record labels underneath the "groups?" because those, more than likely, would be the labels coming out to look at Matt. So perhaps we could see which ones are in NY or close by to CT? Wink

Last edited by Cacity87 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:14 pm

I've wanted Columbia since forever for some reason. I just like saying Matt Giraud signed to Columbia Records ( lol! ) but I didn't know they were with sony...Hmmm. I also like arista, but IDK if that would be the fit for Matt.

I agree about interscope, but I checked out Epic last night, and the only artist I liked on their artists list was the fray (and I don't even really like them)

Another that I really like is J records. J is also apart of Sony and is distributed through RCA. their artists include Alicia Keys, Gavin Degraw, Fantasia, Whitney houston, Mario, Leona lewis, Monica, Jenifer hudson, etc...

So for me, with J records, Columbia, and Arista I am liking Sony/19.

BTW interscop is " owned by Universal Music Group, and operates as one third of UMG's Interscope-Geffen-A&M label group"

and Epic is a part of Sony/BMG group (another mark for 19)
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Okay, I went a researched and found out that Interscope is under Universal as well! Haha. They are part of Universal's 3 music group partnership, "Interscope-Geffen-A&M."

Ok, going to edit my last two posts...
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:25 pm

OK I thought it over a bit..And I am liking Universal more and more. With interscope and being the largest of the 4, I think this may work out better for Matt. I think the main reason I am pushing for 19 is becasue they are linked to idol, so it's been made to feel like they are the ultimate that an idol can get. But with 4 already signed and them dragging their feet so much with Matt, maybe going with Universal would be better... Hmmm
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Cacity87 wrote:
I wonder where Interscope fits in...that's a good question. I thought they were more of an independent label, but perhaps they are major. I think someone mentioned that they were even under "Universal" but I don't see them in the group above - but I got this info from an article written last Oct, so things could have changed since then.

Anyway, I agree with OvenMitt on this - my vote is for Universal. Smile For all the reasons she stated AND because I think it would do Matt well to be signed to a label that isn't spending their time promoting any other Idol contestant right now! Atlantic would be my next choice - but they just signed Jason and I think it would be good for Matt to make his own mark on his own label, if that makes sense? That way it doesn't look like Atlantic is turning into a label that picks up the "leftover" Idol contestants. Not that Jason is a "leftover," I love him! But they could start getting that record.

So far we have:

Universal (Interscope) - 1
Universal - 2
Warner Bros (Atlantic) - 1
Sony (J/Columbia/Arista - 1

Ok...have any of you guys gone as far to look at the record labels underneath the "groups?" because those, more than likely, would be the labels coming out to look at Matt. So perhaps we could see which ones are in NY or close by to CT? Wink

Well these are the music groups under Atlantic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_records

Atlantic Records Group labels
Main article: Atlantic Records Group
Bad Boy Records
Elektra Records
Roadrunner Records

Bad Boy records is in NY which was founded by Diddy

Country of origin United States
Location New York City
Official website Bad Boy Records

Roadrunner...

In 1986 Roadrunner opened its US headquarters in New York City

Couldn't find Elektra location info.
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Lana wrote:
OK I thought it over a bit..And I am liking Universal more and more. With interscope and being the largest of the 4, I think this may work out better for Matt. I think the main reason I am pushing for 19 is becasue they are linked to idol, so it's been made to feel like they are the ultimate that an idol can get. But with 4 already signed and them dragging their feet so much with Matt, maybe going with Universal would be better... Hmmm

That's why I am liking Universal too! Do we know of any other Idol contestants that are signed with Universal? I think it would be an honor if Matt was the first "Idol alumni" that they picked up after the show was over. Smile

Plus, I actually like the music put out by their other artists. That's always good.
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Jenna wrote:

Well these are the music groups under Atlantic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_records

Atlantic Records Group labels
Main article: Atlantic Records Group
Bad Boy Records
Elektra Records
Roadrunner Records

Bad Boy records is in NY which was founded by Diddy

Country of origin United States
Location New York City
Official website Bad Boy Records

Roadrunner...

In 1986 Roadrunner opened its US headquarters in New York City

Couldn't find Elektra location info.

Wow, ok! So we have the possibility of "Bad Boy Records" (hehe, the BG's will like that one! Wink ) or "Roadrunner Records" (ooh, Idolbeat will like that! haha Wink) that might have taken a look at Matt the other night in CT! Hmm....interesting, interesting.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Lana wrote:

Hmmm this is where I disagree. IMO a smaller label maybe more beneficial for Matt. He may get lost in a huge label with has tons of artists. You know a tiny fish in a big pond? I also think a smaller label like Atlantic would give him more artistic freedom than one of the larger labels. And I am praying he isn't signed with 19Evil. 19Evil = generic over produced crap and I'm going to take half of what you make for the next 7 years and that doesn't even count the percentage Sony gets. I also feel that Atlantic being a smaller label may spend more time nurturing Matt where as a larger label is all about putting out music fast, making a few bucks, and then dropping the artists if they don't get a return fast enough.
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:48 pm

Jenna wrote:
Lana wrote:

Hmmm this is where I disagree. IMO a smaller label maybe more beneficial for Matt. He may get lost in a huge label with has tons of artists. You know a tiny fish in a big pond? I also think a smaller label like Atlantic would give him more artistic freedom than one of the larger labels. And I am praying he isn't signed with 19Evil. 19Evil = generic over produced crap and I'm going to take half of what you make for the next 7 years and that doesn't even count the percentage Sony gets. I also feel that Atlantic being a smaller label may spend more time nurturing Matt where as a larger label is all about putting out music fast, making a few bucks, and then dropping the artists if they don't get a return fast enough.

Yeah, I see what you mean Jenna. I do think it's always a concern whenever someone signs MAJOR that they'll have to compete for attention. But...just think....Universal has a TON of "family labels" under them. What if he is signed to a smaller label under them?
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:53 pm

I am still thinking Universal -Interscope in particular would be awesome for Matt!
Hope that is the case, but in any case I am thrilled for him.
It would really be exciting to see the first Idol alumni sign to Universal Records!
Is it too early to discuss this?? :) Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:55 pm

I don't know...I like Interscope and J Records so I'm gonna be pushing for them (but I wouldn't be disappointed in Atlantic or Epic)

But to be honest I am more confused than ever with all these groups, sub-groups, and labels under labels! Gosh just someone sign Matt so I don't have to try figuring all this out Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mattyfan

mattyfan

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 1:02 pm

For Matt, I'd like whatever label Gavin's in. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 1:38 pm

mattyfan wrote:
For Matt, I'd like whatever label Gavin's in. Smile

J Records (sony) Wink
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Jenna wrote:

Jenna, I understand your concern about Matt being able to retain his artistic credibility and be nurtured rather than processed. But the stigma about these huge record labels has really been perpetuated, I feel, by Sony Music. I feel that Sony is a terrible example of a corporate machine. The way they treat their artists, and the overall quality of the music they put out are red flags to me. I mean, considering their partnership with Idol in and of itself, it's pretty shoddy. Think of all the Idols who have signed with them and either been dropped in a heartbeat or completely neutered of all artistic integrity. I feel like it's a deal with the devil. Sure, you've got your Alicia Keys and Gavin DeGraws, but you've also got your Britney Spears and N*SYNC. And several of their acts (ie: Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Allison Iraheta) are just competing against eachother for sales and chart placement. How nervewracking would it be to have to measure up to similar artists within the same damn company? If you don't do things their way and produce the results they expect, then you're gone. All these "Top 4" fans are so relieved and happy that their favorites were "chosen" by Sony, but is that really a good thing? Sony represents, to me, everything that has gone wrong with the music industry in recent years.

Okay, now that I've torn down Sony, ( Twisted Evil ) let me just explain about the music label hierarchy. Maybe it will quell any fears you have about Matt getting signed by a major. I'll use Universal as an example:

Universal is actually owned wholly by Vivendi, a French company that owns lots of media ventures (this includes televison, video games, film, etc.). That actually reads as a positive to me, because promotion of Matt's music could be very widespread and effective. So Universal is the parent company for all these record labels. Since there are several, let's take Interscope-Geffen-A&M. Those are three labels combined into one group, with Interscope being the dominating label of the three. The other two are simply merged within Interscope, yet retain their name. So, Interscope houses several "imprints". These are basically even smaller labels with a few or sometimes just a single artist. They put out very specific types of music. For example, Star Trak Entertainment is a hip-hop imprint, but is supported by Interscope, and Universal and Vivendi in turn. The artists on that imprint do their own thing, with much creative freedom and a tight-knit group of producers and writers. They function as an independent label, but with a big company backing them. You can see how this would actually be an ideal situation for an artist: maximum creative freedom with major label security and promotion.

Did that make any sense? Does it change your perspective on the whole "big vs. small label" conundrum? I hope I didn't confuse you more! I just wanted to demonstrate that a major label isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on the label. Big companies can serve you well, or bring you down. I hope Matt is in the position where he can take his pick of labels, because I'm sure, if given the choice, he'd want the best of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 3:08 pm

In any case I am still so excited that Matt has been picked up by a major label I believe... HE will get more promo and chance of radio play. Indie artists and small labels don't do all that, no money available.

With Matt's talent, vocal ability and style I am sure he will be very successful with any major label he chooses. JMHO.

As I said I can't wait till his solo career starts! It's going to be great to watch. Is it too early to discuss this?? :) Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Lana

Lana

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 3:28 pm

Quote :
As I said I can't wait till his solo career starts! It's going to be great to watch.

I agree Matty. I know some people are sad about the end of this tour, but I have to admit that I am more excited! I'm just ready for Matt to be out of the shadow of the top 4 and to have more room to do his own thing. His solo tours will be for his fans, and any reviews will be all about him. It's about that time where he's just Matt giraud and not "adam and the idols" "adam and the rest" or "the american idols".

I am so anxious to see the way everything unfolds for him, and it WILL be a blast to watch cheers
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm with you Lana! I actually can't wait for tour to be over either! I want to see MATT and ONLY Matt in concert. Gosh...I hope he comes to Florida, because my hubby is giving me a hard time about flying to Michigan in January. Sad We're trying to save money for a home, better furniture, etc - we're newlyweds after all. Ahh...I gotta see him solo, though!
Back to top Go down
cranberry

cranberry

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 4:21 pm

I so would like to participate to this thread but I don´t have the brain for that..
The list of groups and labels was a great help,thank you. And must say some of labels have huge amount of artists.
I like the idea of big parent company with that "publishing arm" and there are interesting labels not so big under the them.
And while googling the lists of artists I got sentimental thinking that soon there will be our artist under the letter G.

It´s so exciting to see what is next for Matt!!!
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Oh Ovenmitt I do want him signed by a major label. Atlantic is a major label but their artist roster is smaller. Which is what I meant by a smaller label. I agree with everything you said about Sony and 19Evil. Those 2 companies are the last I want Matt to be signed to.

Here is Atlantic's artist roster...

http://www.atlanticrecords.com/artists
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Cacity87 wrote:
I'm with you Lana! I actually can't wait for tour to be over either! I want to see MATT and ONLY Matt in concert. Gosh...I hope he comes to Florida, because my hubby is giving me a hard time about flying to Michigan in January. Sad We're trying to save money for a home, better furniture, etc - we're newlyweds after all. Ahh...I gotta see him solo, though!

Awe I hope you can come Cacity. If it helps we are planning on sharing hotel rooms so the cost won't be too much for our rooms.

I also cannot wait for the tour to be over but I have felt this since the very first show. This has been an amazing summer and I enjoyed the tour immensely but I am ready for Matt's career to begin. And how exciting that we won't have to read reviews like Adam Lambert stole the show. All his shows will be about Matt! His CD will be amazing and I can't imagine how incredible it will be to see him perform more than 3 songs.
Back to top Go down
Cacity87

Cacity87

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Jenna wrote:
Cacity87 wrote:

Awe I hope you can come Cacity. If it helps we are planning on sharing hotel rooms so the cost won't be too much for our rooms.

I also cannot wait for the tour to be over but I have felt this since the very first show. This has been an amazing summer and I enjoyed the tour immensely but I am ready for Matt's career to begin. And how exciting that we won't have to read reviews like Adam Lambert stole the show. All his shows will be about Matt! His CD will be amazing and I can't imagine how incredible it will be to see him perform more than 3 songs.

Thanks Jenna! I'm still praying I can make it.

And yes, it is going to be an incredible thing when Matt is finally SIGNED and touring on his own...I cannot wait. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it too early to discuss this?? :)   Is it too early to discuss this?? :) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it too early to discuss this?? :)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next