Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.

Go down 
+7
lymon15
cecilie
lumma
sgr91
pebbles87
meagsmatt
mattyg93
11 posters
AuthorMessage
mattyg93

mattyg93

Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. Empty
PostSubject: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 pm

I know I am the worrymart here usually but I found this theory on another board that I find uplifting and positive.
I hope this indeed happens. This is what someone psoted regarding Matt's lack of offers right now.

Quote :
Matt cannot talk to anyone until after the tour is over. So hey if Castro can get a record deal he might be able too to.

I'm not surprised at all that 19 Entertainment is not signing him, and I don't think it's personal at all. I think the issue for them is that both Kris and Matt want to make Gavin DeGraw/Fray type music.. Kris is the winner, and I think is a little more ready for it than Matt is, if you base it on the way both performed this season. If Matt were to be signed to the same record as Kris. Unless both guys were writing all of their own music, it's very likely that Matt being not the winner, would get stuck with Kris's hand me downs.

So Matt is better off with another record company, where he doesn't have to compete with Kris and they can devote their time and resources to him.

Matt got a lot of exposure on the show, which may really help him when it comes to talking to other record companies. If he writes some good songs, makes some good demos and does some networking! He might get a deal.

So what do you guys think of this person's point of view? It sure is quite hopeful don't you think? I think he may be right.
We will have to wait much more time but a deal is possible for Matt.
Back to top Go down
meagsmatt

meagsmatt

Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:55 pm

mattyg93 wrote:
I know I am the worrymart here usually but I found this theory on another board that I find uplifting and positive.
I hope this indeed happens. This is what someone psoted regarding Matt's lack of offers right now.

Quote :
Matt cannot talk to anyone until after the tour is over. So hey if Castro can get a record deal he might be able too to.

I'm not surprised at all that 19 Entertainment is not signing him, and I don't think it's personal at all. I think the issue for them is that both Kris and Matt want to make Gavin DeGraw/Fray type music.. Kris is the winner, and I think is a little more ready for it than Matt is, if you base it on the way both performed this season. If Matt were to be signed to the same record as Kris. Unless both guys were writing all of their own music, it's very likely that Matt being not the winner, would get stuck with Kris's hand me downs.

So Matt is better off with another record company, where he doesn't have to compete with Kris and they can devote their time and resources to him.

Matt got a lot of exposure on the show, which may really help him when it comes to talking to other record companies. If he writes some good songs, makes some good demos and does some networking! He might get a deal.

So what do you guys think of this person's point of view? It sure is quite hopeful don't you think? I think he may be right.

Thanks for the post...I definitely see their point, and I think it makes sense. I mean, I think we all know that if Matt were signed and doing the same style as Kris that Kris would be the one that would be pushed and not as much for Matt. I never really thought of it this way. For some reason I just feel that after the tour, he'll get signed. I mean come on, out of the rest who's left, he's obviously the most talented and deserving. Okay so if 19 doesn't sign him, maybe other companies are just waiting to feel him out to see what he brings to the tour and how he is recepted? I know I said this before but I think that Matt will gain a TON of new fans touring this summer and hopefully that will change some minds about him and get him a deal. So yeah, to an extent I do agree with that poster's POV, I guess I just don't think that is the sole reason they haven't signed him. But that's okay, because I'm still really hopeful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pebbles87

pebbles87

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 1:26 pm

I agree completely with that theory. I know that I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to Matt but I really like it's not a matter of if he will release a CD; it's when, under what label, and how that label will handle him. Many Idols release CD's after their time on the show (hell, I think almost ALL of the top 10 from last year have deals) and I know the reason people worry is because Matt DOES deserve have all the success in the world. I know people compare him to Jason Castro, but I really feel like the better comparison from last year is Brooke White. Think about it: 5th place, the best musician from last season, really lost alot of her momentum after the song she had to start over (ironically enough Top 10 week--the same week we feel like Matt lost his way with the B3 appearance). Her CD is getting alot of buzz, so we'll see how she does when it's released (July 21).

But back to the OP. That person is right about why 19 isn't signing Matt. I choose to believe that if that cockroach Allen wouldn't have won, Matt would have been signed. Period. They have to give Kris preferential treatment because he won the show. He would get the good songwriters, producers, and such. They wouldn't be able to give Matt the same people because it would undoubtedly cause a similarity between CDs, and probably cause a fan war. (which we'd win! obviously lol) Anyway I posted this in another thread but it has relevance here too. The reason why I think Danny is getting signed and Matt is not is because the return on investment is so high for Danny and not so high for Matt. They're going to sign Danny to a smaller Christian album (i'm guessing instead of Country--there's is a Christian label under the Sony umbrella based out of Nashville--makes more sense) where the deal is most likely not worth much. They'll invest little to no money in making his record and his LARGE and stupid (IMO) fanbase will buy it no questions asked. Matt, however, will have to have quality people come in and help him with his record because he's more complex musically. It'll take time and his fanbase is smaller so for him to sell to other people it needs to be good. Return on investment low. It's all business. This is another reason why Kris is more ideal for 19 right now-- he's certainly not as complex as Matt and it will take less to make a Kris Allen- like record than a Matt Giruad- like record.

We, as fans, just have to trust that whatever happens is for the best and stick by Matt. It's going to be hard to wait, but it will happen!
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Does anyone know how the 19E idol contracts work exactly. I know that 19E has first choice in whom they want to sign and i know that they hold the Idols rights during the show. Do they continue to hold their rights until the end of the tour even if they don't sign them? Anotherwords, if another label, such as Warner, were interested in Matt, are they even allowed to approach him until after the tour? Do we know when the idols who signed contracts with labels outside of 19E did so - was it always after the tour?
Back to top Go down
lumma

lumma

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:12 pm

mattyg93 wrote:

Quote :

The best thing would be 19 begging Matt for a contract and him turning 19 down for another label. How awesome would it be if that's the case? I know 19 will never be the best place for Matt's long term career but I want 19 to want Matt. Razz

I remember during the season there was a discussion on Kris Allen being more similar to John Mayer and Jason Mraz and Matt being on The Fray and Gavin Degraw side. I have no idea how Kris Allen is now representing the soulful piano rocker of AI season 8? Can he even play piano that well? Because I think what defines The Fray and Gavin Degraw the best as the artists is the piano.

Matt kept coming back with the type of music he wanted to do and fought so hard to be known as the soulful bluesy jazzy piano rocker, despite he only got craptastic reviews from the judges whenever he didn't sing R&B. It was no safe bet for him. He had to take risks if he wanted to sing piano rock song, even though it is what he's passionate about, what he's best at, and what took him to hollywood in the first place! OTOH, 1 one republic song in front of piano was all it took for Kris Allen. How easy is everything for him? Oh here I go again, I am such a Twisted Evil when it comes to Kris Allen.

Well, I think it will all come down to the material that Matt comes up with. Why wouldn't record companies be interested if he can make music that will sell? He's young, talented, good looking, and he's already well known. He's got everything they're looking for, all he needs now is good music of his own! All famous musicians and artists started from the scratch, none of them were famous before even putting out an album. Matt has a leg up in that he put his name out there through the show and made connections in the music biz. Now, he's ready to make good music, yo!! So I'm hoping he's writing and making good songs for his demo already, more than anything else!
Back to top Go down
cecilie

cecilie

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:44 pm

lumma wrote:
mattyg93 wrote:

Quote :

The best thing would be 19 begging Matt for a contract and him turning 19 down for another label. How awesome would it be if that's the case? I know 19 will never be the best place for Matt's long term career but I want 19 to want Matt. Razz

I remember during the season there was a discussion on Kris Allen being more similar to John Mayer and Jason Mraz and Matt being on The Fray and Gavin Degraw side. I have no idea how Kris Allen is now representing the soulful piano rocker of AI season 8? Can he even play piano that well? Because I think what defines The Fray and Gavin Degraw the best as the artists is the piano.

Matt kept coming back with the type of music he wanted to do and fought so hard to be known as the soulful bluesy jazzy piano rocker, despite he only got craptastic reviews from the judges whenever he didn't sing R&B. It was no safe bet for him. He had to take risks if he wanted to sing piano rock song, even though it is what he's passionate about, what he's best at, and what took him to hollywood in the first place! OTOH, 1 one republic song in front of piano was all it took for Kris Allen. How easy is everything for him? Oh here I go again, I am such a Twisted Evil when it comes to Kris Allen.

Well, I think it will all come down to the material that Matt comes up with. Why wouldn't record companies be interested if he can make music that will sell? He's young, talented, good looking, and he's already well known. He's got everything they're looking for, all he needs now is good music of his own! All famous musicians and artists started from the scratch, none of them were famous before even putting out an album. Matt has a leg up in that he put his name out there through the show and made connections in the music biz. Now, he's ready to make good music, yo!! So I'm hoping he's writing and making good songs for his demo already, more than anything else!

wow - that was difficult - started to read your thread and then got distracted by your sig bounce so I had to start over again LOL
You are so right!
Sometimes I really wish that I knew what was going on inside his head - musically and carrer-wise.
Back to top Go down
lymon15

lymon15

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 7:04 pm

mattyg93 wrote:

Quote :

i agree with every bit and piece of it.
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 7:25 pm

I agree with the OP. Matt is obviously talented, but the truth is that there were an unusually high number of really talented people on Idol this year. Does anybody else feel that way? This year seemed different (and not just because of the manipulations!), like there was a better and deeper talent pool. It was like Season 5, where there were just alot of vastly different, wildly popular contestants. Hopefully, it will continue to resemble Season 5, with the lower placing contestants achieving the most success (selfish, I know!).

Anyway, back to Matt. He, to me, is head and shoulders above Kris in the talent, versitility, relevance, charm, appeal, looks and potential departments. But He and Kris really do have a similar vibe from a layperson's viewpoint. The heartfelt, honest, passionate singer-songwriter thing. Kris is just a simpler, more accessible version of that. Packaged and ready to sell. Not much room for growth, however. That's what 19 thrives on: artists they can process and sell quickly and gain maximum profit from in a minimal timeframe. Matt's musical philosophy just doesn't jibe with that. He wants the work, the creative process, the heart put into his music, which can't be stamped out in a three-month period. He would have been absolutely hung out to dry by 19, especially with constant comparison to Kris. It would have been painful to witness. But guess what? We've been spared of that tragedy, and so has Matt! Yay!

I found this little blurb, and I think it might put things even further into perspective. If you think Matt would have had issues at 19, ponder what Kris may be going through:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/06/kradam-signed-yay.html
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 7:39 pm

sgr91 wrote:
Does anyone know how the 19E idol contracts work exactly. I know that 19E has first choice in whom they want to sign and i know that they hold the Idols rights during the show. Do they continue to hold their rights until the end of the tour even if they don't sign them? Anotherwords, if another label, such as Warner, were interested in Matt, are they even allowed to approach him until after the tour? Do we know when the idols who signed contracts with labels outside of 19E did so - was it always after the tour?

In general, the Idols cannot receive other offers until their contracts with 19 expire. But on rare occasions, 19 will release a contestant early from their contract if they feel that contestant presents a direct competition to the winner. This happened with Elliott Yamin and with Michael Johns. But, as I said, that's rare. If Matt doesn't announce a deal with 19 by mid-tour, it's not gonna happen. But he'll have to wait until tour is done and 19 releases him to meet with other record labels. I suspect that he may have heard some about some interest from other labels already, but cannot act on it. He keeps on alluding to "working on music" and "putting out that album!", which makes me think he's preparing now so that he can start work immediately once he's out of his contract. Or at the very least, preparing to shop labels and have demos to present to them.
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 7:48 pm

OvenMitt wrote:
I agree with the OP. Matt is obviously talented, but the truth is that there were an unusually high number of really talented people on Idol this year. Does anybody else feel that way? This year seemed different (and not just because of the manipulations!), like there was a better and deeper talent pool. It was like Season 5, where there were just alot of vastly different, wildly popular contestants. Hopefully, it will continue to resemble Season 5, with the lower placing contestants achieving the most success (selfish, I know!).

Anyway, back to Matt. He, to me, is head and shoulders above Kris in the talent, versitility, relevance, charm, appeal, looks and potential departments. But He and Kris really do have a similar vibe from a layperson's viewpoint. The heartfelt, honest, passionate singer-songwriter thing. Kris is just a simpler, more accessible version of that. Packaged and ready to sell. Not much room for growth, however. That's what 19 thrives on: artists they can process and sell quickly and gain maximum profit from in a minimal timeframe. Matt's musical philosophy just doesn't jibe with that. He wants the work, the creative process, the heart put into his music, which can't be stamped out in a three-month period. He would have been absolutely hung out to dry by 19, especially with constant comparison to Kris. It would have been painful to witness. But guess what? We've been spared of that tragedy, and so has Matt! Yay!

I found this little blurb, and I think it might put things even further into perspective. If you think Matt would have had issues at 19, ponder what Kris may be going through:

You beat me to this link. I just saw it on Slezak's twitter. Its obviously too early to tell if 19 is going to under-promote Kris and plug Adam to their utmost ability, but I think its no question that the AI judges clearly seemed disappointed in the outcome of the show. I'm thinking the producers and 19E felt similarly. I do wonder if Kris hadn't won, whether a)he would have been signed and b)if Matt would have been signed in his stead. I guess will never know but this board is for speculation.
Back to top Go down
OvenMitt

OvenMitt

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 8:21 pm

sgr91 wrote:
OvenMitt wrote:

You beat me to this link. I just saw it on Slezak's twitter. Its obviously too early to tell if 19 is going to under-promote Kris and plug Adam to their utmost ability, but I think its no question that the AI judges clearly seemed disappointed in the outcome of the show. I'm thinking the producers and 19E felt similarly. I do wonder if Kris hadn't won, whether a)he would have been signed and b)if Matt would have been signed in his stead. I guess will never know but this board is for speculation.

I say, no, Kris would have been toast, and Matt would have been signed. Remember how much the producers loved Matt? And tried to get rid of Kris? Can't get rid of the winner! And, yeah, the disappointment from TPTB is palpable. Simon didn't even hide the utter shock on his face when they announced Kris the winner. Oh well, all for the best. Greener pastures for Matt! He really dodged a bullet, IMO.

P.S. Sorry about scooping you! But it's intriguing, huh?
Back to top Go down
Janizzle

Janizzle

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense. These two guys were together in White Chocolate after all, and Matt said they talked about forming a band together if the Idol thing didn't work out...so clearly they have similar tastes and would do similar-ish music (though we all know Matt's would be a BILLION times better!). If Matt and Kris were on the same label, it just wouldn't make sense. It would be difficult to market them at the same time, no? Kris should not have won the show, plain and simple. No one expected him to go far. Kris took Matt's place, and it still stings....but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Matt definitely is the type of artist that needs time to work on his craft. I could see him as a perfectionist in the studio. I want to see him working with the best, with people who are really invested in him. He would just be given scraps to work with under 19. It's just like the Elliott thing--we thought Clive would totally ruin him. He friggin gave him a Journey song to sing Top 3 week, for crying out loud!

Matt will get something, hopefully soon! The Matt buzz will come, it has to! He's too amazing.
Back to top Go down
lovethemtigers

lovethemtigers

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 am

Just interesting how on the EW Michael blurp about "who should be signed next" how many people are responding "Matt Giraud". Is it all of us or is Matt's fanbase really taking off now???? Also noticed how Danny is rarely mentioned. Can't 19 see that...i think it would be a waste of time and money for them to sign Danny. Besides he's going to be making a line of glasses and has a foundation and is Dancing with The Stars...does he really have time to do music? Music is Matt's one and only passion and it's so strong you can see it, hear it and feel it in every performance. Danny is nowhere near the artist Matt is....did ya'll see Danny's Idol chat responses. Some are just so arrogant as usual...and yet, he is Matt's closest friend in the group.!

As for Kris and Matt...they are similar with the type of music they like and do, but as we all know and understand, Matt is so much better than Kris. Once the tour starts the million of Idol fans will see this..Matt's personality and talent will far out shine anyone else's. I'm not worried about the record deal. There is lots of time. I think he will be a Warner Music artist. I really do. So much better for him that he will not be signed by 19.
'
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Quote :
Danny is nowhere near the artist Matt is....did ya'll see Danny's Idol chat responses. Some are just so arrogant as usual...and yet, he is Matt's closest friend in the group.!

I know right? I always try to give Danny one last chance to impress me but I am sorry he always comes through as a total douche.
I can't believe Matt is close to him. OTH Matt is so humble and genuine in his interviews.
Oh well.

I just care right now about Matt's future and I am sure it will be much better's than Danny.
Back to top Go down
Riley 9

Riley 9

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 6:35 pm

With no apparent record deal yet for Matt, I spent yesterday going over old interviews, recaps, articles, etc. from the beginning of the season. [I know it wasn't a very difficult task.] What struck me the most was :
1) Adam was always the TCO and treated as such by AI judges and producers.
2) Danny had a strong fanbase out of the gate and was probably considered the best bet to be runner-up.
3) No one expected Kris to get very far. Not only was he not considered a front-runner, most people couldn't even REMEMBER him.
4) Many people REMEMBERED MATT as the soulful dueling piano player, and EVERYONE loved Georgia on My Mind.

It's interesting to see how things actually turned out, eh? My hope is that record companies remember all the accolades that Matt received at the beginning of the season. He has grown so much as as a performer and is more confident. If so many different people recognized his talent back in February, it should be a no-brainer that he should get a record deal eventually.

Matt should gain lots of new fans who see the Idols tour. I hope that record companies take note of what happens on the tour because I have a strong feeling that Matt's piano skills, charm, singing, etc. is going to be the big crowd pleaser. I remain optimistic that Matt will get a record deal somewhere, even if it's not with 19E. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.   Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Matt wasn't signed with 19 and the possibility of him getting a major deal anyways.
Page 1 of 1