Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  http://mattgiraudmusic.com/  http://www.myspace.com/matthewscottgiraud  http://twitter.com/ImMattGiraud  https://www.facebook.com/mattgiraud  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Giraud-Fans/159059304134781  http://twitter.com/JennaSG  http://twitter.com/MattsFTLs  https://www.youtube.com/user/mattgiraudfans#p/p  http://mattgiraudfans.magix.net/  

Record deal?

Go down 
+17
lovethemtigers
brandy1
Heidi
Tie
macigirl
OvenMitt
lumma
meagsmatt
cecilie
2kids3dogs
cranberry
crys7
sgr91
mattyg93
pebbles87
mch
Jenna
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 6:28 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2009-05-19-ratings-american-idol_N.htm

CKX will exercise its option to sign record deals with Allen and Lambert. Sillerman adds, "I would not be surprised if … we signed more than two."

Hopefully Matt?
Back to top Go down
https://mattgiraudfans.forumotion.net
mch

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:49 pm

I doubt it after the way they treated him tonight. My guess is the other contestents they are talking about are Allison and maybe Lil.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:51 pm

mch wrote:
I doubt it after the way they treated him tonight. My guess is the other contestents they are talking about are Allison and maybe Lil.

Allison yes Lil definitely not! I believe they would sign Matt way before they would sign Lil. They are probably going to sign Danny as well.
Back to top Go down
pebbles87

pebbles87

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:56 pm

after what was displayed tonight, I hope for Matt's sake they don't sign him... I want him to pull a Castro and sign with Atlantic or some HUGE label that will treat him like right... and besides any Idol related label will probably try to box him into and make him something he's not... we've got to be confident that he WILL get signed by someone.... we just might have to wait a little longer than if he were signed by 19E
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:59 pm

pebbles87 wrote:
after what was displayed tonight, I hope for Matt's sake they don't sign him... I want him to pull a Castro and sign with Atlantic or some HUGE label that will treat him like right... and besides any Idol related label will probably try to box him into and make him something he's not... we've got to be confident that he WILL get signed by someone.... we just might have to wait a little longer than if he were signed by 19E

Oh I agree I never wanted him with 19E. My fear is if they sign him he will be stuck singing music like Justin Timberlake and he will be so devastated as would I because I can't stand Justin or that type of music. I think 19E would steal Matt's soul and evey artistic bone in his body just like they did with Bo! I cannot bare seeing Matt unhappy!
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Yeah. Before, I kind of had high hopes for Matt signing with 19, but not after tonight.
They obviously don't have that much interest in him, they would have given him a duet with a celebrity otherwise.

Why couldn't they get him a duet with Gavin? He was in LA tonight! He was in the finale!
They would have rocked the house, playing "Chariot" or something like that.
It just pisses me off.

Matty G is truly an angel. He deserves the world after his Idol journey.
I really hope someone out there, outside the AI world has an interest in him, signs him and gives him a chance.
Matt I love you.. I know God will help you. I am just very very sad.
Back to top Go down
mch

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 11:19 pm

Jenna wrote:
mch wrote:

Allison yes Lil definitely not! I believe they would sign Matt way before they would sign Lil. They are probably going to sign Danny as well.

I was just thinking of Lil because I heard that she sang a lot tonight (which might show there interest in her). Danny is a definate also.

I wanted Matt to sign with 19E, because usually the idols that end up snubbing them end up doing badly eventually. But now I don't want him anywhere near those bastards. I'm a little worried though, because it seems like the recession is effecting the music business too much. How hard is it going to be for the other contestents to get record deals? I would have thought Matt was guaranteed, and now I'm having major doubts. The show has definately deserted him. Can he get interest somewhere else? A couple years ago maybe... But at this time who knows. People have really short memories on AI. Matt's folder on AI.com is practically moving at a snails pace. Everyone's talking about the "true" artist of the show TBO.
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 11:57 pm

I am concerned as well. Itunes "mistakenly" released the record sales of the single for the top 5 and Matt was dead last (I'm guessing that you can guess who was first). Since its all about record sales, that was the statistic that worried me the most. I have a theory as to why that happened. I would bet that Matt's audience is more mature than the the teeny boppers who are buying itunes singles (I of course did buy some singles despite being mature) and we would actually pay for concerts and entire albums. I hope others realize this. I'm going to guess that the average Matt fan is in the 25-40 range as opposed to the average Adam fan who is in the 15-30 range. I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:00 am

mch wrote:
Jenna wrote:
mch wrote:

I was just thinking of Lil because I heard that she sang a lot tonight (which might show there interest in her). Danny is a definate also.

I wanted Matt to sign with 19E, because usually the idols that end up snubbing them end up doing badly eventually. But now I don't want him anywhere near those bastards. I'm a little worried though, because it seems like the recession is effecting the music business too much. How hard is it going to be for the other contestents to get record deals? I would have thought Matt was guaranteed, and now I'm having major doubts. The show has definately deserted him. Can he get interest somewhere else? A couple years ago maybe... But at this time who knows. People have really short memories on AI. Matt's folder on AI.com is practically moving at a snails pace. Everyone's talking about the "true" artist of the show TBO.

I think part of the reason the AI boards are slow is because a lot of us are over here now. But also most AI fans are very fickle. They support someone but then move onto the next one when they leave. It really doesn't matter though because Matt needs to extend his fanbase out of AI to really become successful. Look at Clay Aiken. He really never made many fans outside of Idol. Matt IMO has this chance if he gets the right people backing him, supporting him, and willing to promote him. He re4ally is the most current idol this season and as we know the best recording artist of the bunch this season.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:06 am

sgr91 wrote:
I am concerned as well. Itunes "mistakenly" released the record sales of the single for the top 5 and Matt was dead last (I'm guessing that you can guess who was first). Since its all about record sales, that was the statistic that worried me the most. I have a theory as to why that happened. I would bet that Matt's audience is more mature than the the teeny boppers who are buying itunes singles (I of course did buy some singles despite being mature) and we would actually pay for concerts and entire albums. I hope others realize this. I'm going to guess that the average Matt fan is in the 25-40 range as opposed to the average Adam fan who is in the 15-30 range. I could be wrong.

Actually I think your right about the age of Matt fans but not Adam. Adam is in the same boat as Matt if not even older fans. Kris is the one with the young fanbase hence his win tonight. Adam is way too polarizing for kids to like him. Kids wouldn't be able to identify with him. Kris was much safer and the boy next door. Adam along with /Dany have the courgar fanbase this year. Matt has a good chance of attracking a younger fanbase outside of Idol. He is young, sounds very current, can move, is attractive, and has a very cool vibe to him. On Idol he was too nervous and serious to attrack the young voters. But I bet you anything the nights he sang Stayin Alive, You Found Me, and Part-Time lover he gained a lot of younger fan votes and was why he wasn't in the bottom. Of course all this is just my opinion.

Oh Matt wasn't in dead last and besides those itune leaks were not conclusive they were only for the past few days or at the most one week. Yes he was last in the top five but not in the top ten.
Back to top Go down
mch

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:14 am

Jenna wrote:

I think part of the reason the AI boards are slow is because a lot of us are over here now. But also most AI fans are very fickle. They support someone but then move onto the next one when they leave. It really doesn't matter though because Matt needs to extend his fanbase out of AI to really become successful. Look at Clay Aiken. He really never made many fans outside of Idol. Matt IMO has this chance if he gets the right people backing him, supporting him, and willing to promote him. He re4ally is the most current idol this season and as we know the best recording artist of the bunch this season.

My main worry is this - What if all the artists that supposedly liked Matt and said nice things about him after the show also have deserted him like the fickle AI fans? You think it would have been easier for Matt to get a celebrity duet if he still had some celebrities that liked him. Or maybe because the show isn't interested in Matt anymore they didn't even bother to ask the right people for a duet.

AI has been going downhill for awhile. This season has been the biggest joke. The judge that was supposed to bring artistic credibility to the show is responsible for the worst coronation song in AI history, a fake artistic pretty boy won the entire thing, the real artist of the show was treated practically invisible by the AI audience (and finally abandoned by the show), etc. The only hope I have is that being shown less in the finale helps Matt to not be associated with the train wreck that is AI anymore. Maybe he'll be one of the first contestents that is able to completely seperate themselves from AI to the point that most of his fans barely remember that's how he started out. That's the only bit of optimism I can muster at the moment.
Back to top Go down
pebbles87

pebbles87

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:15 am

Jenna wrote:
sgr91 wrote:

Actually I think your right about the age of Matt fans but not Adam. Adam is in the same boat as Matt if not even older fans. Kris is the one with the young fanbase hence his win tonight. Adam is way too polarizing for kids to like him. Kids wouldn't be able to identify with him. Kris was much safer and the boy next door. Adam along with /Dany have the courgar fanbase this year. Matt has a good chance of attracking a younger fanbase outside of Idol. He is young, sounds very current, can move, is attractive, and has a very cool vibe to him. On Idol he was too nervous and serious to attrack the young voters. But I bet you anything the nights he sang Stayin Alive, You Found Me, and Part-Time lover he gained a lot of younger fan votes and was why he wasn't in the bottom. Of course all this is just my opinion.

Oh Matt wasn't in dead last and besides those itune leaks were not conclusive they were only for the past few days or at the most one week. Yes he was last in the top five but not in the top ten.

yeah, this... and you know too alot of younger people illegally download their music... I know, for me, because I'm a broke college student I don't typically buy my music, I'll download it off of Limewire or something... actually before Matt's singles the last cd I bought was Daughtry's and before that was 'Nsync's "No Strings Attached" and I was still in grade school.... so there could be a TON of people who are listening to his songs but aren't buying them from Itunes.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:30 am

mch wrote:
Jenna wrote:

My main worry is this - What if all the artists that supposedly liked Matt and said nice things about him after the show also have deserted him like the fickle AI fans? You think it would have been easier for Matt to get a celebrity duet if he still had some celebrities that liked him. Or maybe because the show isn't interested in Matt anymore they didn't even bother to ask the right people for a duet.

AI has been going downhill for awhile. This season has been the biggest joke. The judge that was supposed to bring artistic credibility to the show is responsible for the worst coronation song in AI history, a fake artistic pretty boy won the entire thing, the real artist of the show was treated practically invisible by the AI audience (and finally abandoned by the show), etc. The only hope I have is that being shown less in the finale helps Matt to not be associated with the train wreck that is AI anymore. Maybe he'll be one of the first contestents that is able to completely seperate themselves from AI to the point that most of his fans barely remember that's how he started out. That's the only bit of optimism I can muster at the moment.

Yup and I can't tell you how many times I read over in Matt's folder at Idol forums people downloading his songs for free from some site that steals music. Plus other fans would give them a copy. I would never steal Matt's music. I had a friend who didn't buy Matt's music so I would purchase them for her and then gift them.
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:31 am

Jenna wrote:
sgr91 wrote:

I think Matt has young fans too, maybe not tweens but he has the twenty somethings for sure.

I sothink Matt did pretty well on I-tunes on a list I saw a month ago, he was like 4th or 5th in the Top 12 downlads. It also has to do with fanbases, at that point many others had bigger fanbasesm therefore more sales.
I remember a lot of people were buying his "Human Nature" and his "So Small" studios. Those were big hits with the AI crowd from what I read.

I think outside the show Matt has the potential to sell really well with the right material.
He's young, he still is in that age where can attract a current,market.
The question is: Will someone give him a chance and signs him? I hope Kara pulls for him.

Awww. I am so worried right now, just because he did not get much face time in the finale. Does that mean there is no interest in him whatsoever? I hope not.

How awesome was Cookie tonight?
He was my favorite last season and won. This season was always Matt for me. He has the talent to make it as big as Cookie.
Any David Cook fans here too? I've never asked that before here.

Remember what Andrew Cook said about Matt! He is a fan! He thinks Matt will have a record out in a year or so and Matt replied: "I hope so man.. He wasn't sure.

I hope Matty got to talk with Cookie tonight. The Cook family loved his "So Small" performance just like me. The best ever. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:32 am

Jenna wrote:
mch wrote:
Jenna wrote:

Yup and I can't tell you how many times I read over in Matt's folder at Idol forums people downloading his songs for free from some site that steals music. Plus other fans would give them a copy. I would never steal Matt's music. I had a friend who didn't buy Matt's music so I would purchase them for her and then gift them.
Back to top Go down
sgr91

sgr91

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:39 am

I didn't mean to imply he was last among the top 10 - just the top 5. I posted it because it truly surprised me - I really thought his recordings are the best of the finalists. I didn't post my age but suffice to say I'm much closer to 35 than 25 and in my conversations with others about AI, I find that people closer to my age truly appreciate musicality and the ability to not only sing but to play and arrange music, much more so than the younger population. Thus my guess on the age of Matt's fans.
What I found truly fascinating was reading some of the earlier blogs about Matt - many of which stated that he was smug, full of himself, etc (including Michael Slezak who I think came around as the show went on). My impression was absolutely the opposite - I thought he was more nervous and less polished than many and that he wore his heart on his sleeve. His auditions and talking about "I have it in me" really won me over. That, and the fact that I work with someone who went to high school with him and said that he was the nicest and biggest hearted person that she knew. (she also said that she was afraid that when he got eliminated he would cry because he was really sensitive - guess she knows him pretty well). Anyway, I don't think anyone who has seen Matt's later interviews would assume he's smug. All the AI head honchos kept talking about how shy and nervous he was and how much better he was outside the actual live show. I'm truly hoping that with the experience of touring on idol, that he will get a chance to get some self-confidence. In the end, I have to agree with SImon that "if you don't believe in youself, no one else will" and al though there is a legion of us here who clearly love what he does, I think some swagger would win him over some of that younger crowd.
Back to top Go down
Jenna
Admin
Jenna

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:42 am

mch wrote:
Jenna wrote:

Well we need to be honest with ourselves it is going to be a long hard road for Matt but think about this... he is much further ahead now then when he was playing at a piano bar in front of 10 people. 20 million people were exposed to Matt weekly. He has a great start to buliding his fanbase and beginning his music career.

Matt seems to be very realistic about his music career. He knows he is not going to shoot to superstardom and that he has to put great music out and pay his dues. Matt is not going to have the AI machine pushing him. He will make it on his own merit which in the end will be more satisfying for him and us.

Also look at many of the previous Idol winners and runner ups. Where are they now? They become an instant success over night but then begin to fade into the woodwork because their success is not really real. They are often a flash in the pan. They also don't get to be the artist they want and they have to hand over 50% of what they make. Matt really is better off not winning or being signed to 19E

Yes I worry that the artists and people in the industry who have expressed interest in Matt will forget about him while he is touring this summer. But I think we need to hold onto the fact that Matt wants this very badly and I am sure he is going to work hard and put out an amazing CD. I hope he gets signed to a label who sees what we see. Matt is the only genuine artist to ever come out of Idol and I believe he will have a very long an successful career. Will he be the next Billy Joel and sell over a hundred and fifty million records. No but who does anymore? Matt has what it takes now he just needs to realize it and with his talent, a lot of work, and some luck we will have a long time in this fandom!
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:50 am

I wanted a performance like this on the Nokia THeater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ApX8FRqc4

Just Matt and his piano. Heck even Ellen got to that piano fast!

A record label must have watched this and will offer him a record deal.. Please. I refuse to think no one wants him.

Can you imagine guys if he had had the chance of singing "Georgia" on the Nokia theater tonight?
Sigh. That.. Would have been a moment.
At least I hope he gets to do the song on tour.

If all he gets to do are group numbers on tour I am throwig the towel.

Gosh someone out there sign this guy! Listen to him. If that is not talent and a package artist I don't know what it is!
Guys I want Matt to be happy! That's so important to me.
Back to top Go down
pebbles87

pebbles87

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 1:02 am

Jenna wrote:
mch wrote:
Jenna wrote:

Well we need to be honest with ourselves it is going to be a long hard road for Matt but think about this... he is much further ahead now then when he was playing at a piano bar in front of 10 people. 20 million people were exposed to Matt weekly. He has a great start to buliding his fanbase and beginning his music career.

Matt seems to be very realistic about his music career. He knows he is not going to shoot to superstardom and that he has to put great music out and pay his dues. Matt is not going to have the AI machine pushing him. He will make it on his own merit which in the end will be more satisfying for him and us.

Also look at many of the previous Idol winners and runner ups. Where are they now? They become an instant success over night but then begin to fade into the woodwork because their success is not really real. They are often a flash in the pan. They also don't get to be the artist they want and they have to hand over 50% of what they make. Matt really is better off not winning or being signed to 19E

Yes I worry that the artists and people in the industry who have expressed interest in Matt will forget about him while he is touring this summer. But I think we need to hold onto the fact that Matt wants this very badly and I am sure he is going to work hard and put out an amazing CD. I hope he gets signed to a label who sees what we see. Matt is the only genuine artist to ever come out of Idol and I believe he will have a very long an successful career. Will he be the next Billy Joel and sell over a hundred and fifty million records. No but who does anymore? Matt has what it takes now he just needs to realize it and with his talent, a lot of work, and some luck we will have a long time in this fandom!

this post almost made me cry...it's all so true especially the bolded part... but we've got to remember that he has gotten alot of exposure to people he wouldn't have otherwise. I know we all have a love hate relationship with Kara but the girl simply loves Matt... I think she is the type of girl who doesn't quit until she gets what she wants accomplished, and I truly believe she wants to see Matt succeed (if only so she can touch him some more!) and the other people who have been impressed: Joel Maddon, Jamie Foxx, David Cook's brother (who should talk to that brother of his and get. him. on. board), Ken Warwick... and one thing I keep thinking why would Gavin DeGraw show up to the finale that he's not participating in, for a show he barely even watches if only to see the kid whose been talking about how much a fan of him he is to EVERYONE who will listen?! seriously how many times has Matt uttered the words "Gavin DeGraw" lately... and remember in one of his post-Idol interviews he said he already had some people express interest in him... that doesn't go away because he doesn't get a solo at the American Idol finale....
Back to top Go down
crys7

crys7

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 2:06 am

this post almost made me cry...it's all so true especially the bolded part... but we've got to remember that he has gotten alot of exposure to people he wouldn't have otherwise. I know we all have a love hate relationship with Kara but the girl simply loves Matt... I think she is the type of girl who doesn't quit until she gets what she wants accomplished, and I truly believe she wants to see Matt succeed (if only so she can touch him some more!) and the other people who have been impressed: Joel Maddon, Jamie Foxx, David Cook's brother (who should talk to that brother of his and get. him. on. board), Ken Warwick... and one thing I keep thinking why would Gavin DeGraw show up to the finale that he's not participating in, for a show he barely even watches if only to see the kid whose been talking about how much a fan of him he is to EVERYONE who will listen?! seriously how many times has Matt uttered the words "Gavin DeGraw" lately... and remember in one of his post-Idol interviews he said he already had some people express interest in him... that doesn't go away because he doesn't get a solo at the American Idol finale....[/quote]

THIS!
Back to top Go down
mch

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:41 pm

You know what I really don't want to happen to Matt? I don't want him to get a record deal from someone that assumes his time on AI is all the publicity he needs to sell anything and therefor gives him zero promotion when is CD comes out. Yesterday I was at Walmart's looking for Elliott's new CD when I noticed several rows of Melinda Doolittle CD's that looked practically untouched. Has there been promotion for her that I've missed, because I haven't heard one thing about her releasing an album. I remember when Jon Stevens got David Foster to produce his album and once it was released there was barely any push by his record company for him. There's been several idols out there with similar experiences. Matt needs a record label that not only recognizes his talent, but also realizes that they need to support his career properly by giving him the right promotion. And it wouldn't hurt if they marketed him as Matt Giraud the artist, instead of Matt Giraud the former contestent on AI.

edited to add:

Maybe I shouldn't be worrying about something like this so prematurely, since he doesn't even have a record deal yet. But I was thinking of all the trends of most AI contestents and they just aren't good.

1. Mega superstardom of the lasting kind - Everyone in this category was signed by 19E. Chris Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, etc.

2. Huge short term career, big fall to nothingness in the end: A lot of the more famous idols of the past are in this category including contestents like Clay Aiken who seemed to be the only contestent to make Mega superstardom of the almost lasting time without 19E help. But in the end he did the big fall. Elliott seems to be doing this too. Maybe he might be able to make a slow build on his second album, but it's not even coming close to the first one's success.

3. Release an album that ends up in every store but with zero promotion. There's a lot of popular contestents in this category.

4. Little Indie release - Chris Sligh, John Peter Lewis, etc. They release their albums to the web, and whatever fanbase that still sticks by them might end up buying it. But they never really do anything else.

5. Complete flop - Don't even get a record deal.

So yeah, I'm a little worried. I hope Matt invents a completely new category, but I'm just naturally a pessimiste about those types of things.
Back to top Go down
mch

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:53 pm

I was wandering around different AI boards and found an interesting post from someone at survivorsucks (from Grammy Museum party):

Quote :

Just got home at 4:54 am!! Only got to listen to Adam be interviewed live a couple of times. He is very tall, thin and handsome. I did get to quickly tell Allison congratulations. She is actually quite extroverted, smart, playful and energetic and I have no doubt she could pummel Gokey into mush if she needed to. I felt bad for Scott because he had to keep explaining to people why he didn't get a duet. They couldn't find someone else for him to perform with because Billy Joel cancelled so late. Everyone was really super happy and enthusiastic. Oh, man, Kris is short but most of the contestants seemed short to me. Adam, Scott, Megan and Anoop stood out as tall. Gokey was underdressed and looked sloppy.

Bottom line, it seemed like a lot of people in the music world really want to work with Adam AND Allison. I overheard some A&R guy say that Randy Jackson will have to settle for producing someone from the 5th thru 10th place because Adam and Allison have their choices of songwriters and people who want to work with them. It was odd that no one was talking much about Kris but I think that may be because his album will be more an AI engineered product and he's less up for grabs. But I also got the sense that people like Matt, Anoop, Lil, Scott and Alexis could wind up with albums and that Randy might produce Lil.

Oh and Kara was shooting off her mouth about how she wanted to write songs for the kids. Poor kids.

The first bolded part is kind of irritating. But the second one is hopeful. I think it's interesting that The Bland One wasn't getting talked about that much. *cackling evily*

They only asked Scott about the duet? So did most people consider Matt's 25 seconds a duet?

Last edited by mch on Thu May 21, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pebbles87

pebbles87

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:05 pm

mch wrote:
You know what I really don't want to happen to Matt? I don't want him to get a record deal from someone that assumes his time on AI is all the publicity he needs to sell anything and therefor gives him zero promotion when is CD comes out. Yesterday I was at Walmart's looking for Elliott's new CD when I noticed several rows of Melinda Doolittle CD's that looked practically untouched. Has there been promotion for her that I've missed, because I haven't heard one thing about her releasing an album. I remember when Jon Stevens got David Foster to produce his album and once it was released there was barely any push by his record company for him. There's been several idols out there with similar experiences. Matt needs a record label that not only recognizes his talent, but also realizes that they need to support his career properly by giving him the right promotion. And it wouldn't hurt if they marketed him as Matt Giraud the artist, instead of Matt Giraud the former contestent on AI.

edited to add:

Maybe I shouldn't be worrying about something like this so prematurely, since he doesn't even have a record deal yet. But I was thinking of all the trends of most AI contestents and they just aren't good.

1. Mega superstardom of the lasting kind - Everyone in this category was signed by 19E. Chris Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, etc.

2. Huge short term career, big fall to nothingness in the end: A lot of the more famous idols of the past are in this category including contestents like Clay Aiken who seemed to be the only contestent to make Mega superstardom of the almost lasting time without 19E help. But in the end he did the big fall. Elliott seems to be doing this too. Maybe he might be able to make a slow build on his second album, but it's not even coming close to the first one's success.

3. Release an album that ends up in every store but with zero promotion. There's a lot of popular contestents in this category.

4. Little Indie release - Chris Sligh, John Peter Lewis, etc. They release their albums to the web, and whatever fanbase that still sticks by them might end up buying it. But they never really do anything else.

5. Complete flop - Don't even get a record deal.

So yeah, I'm a little worried. I hope Matt invents a completely new category, but I'm just naturally a pessimiste about those types of things.
my opinions of Matt's chances in the biz... and I'm an eternal optimist so maybe I can make you feel better Smile

your concerns are all valid but look at the people you've mentioned... I don't mean to be rude to those contestants because everyone is talented in their own right but I just don't see some of them in the same category as Matt... Matt is VERY relevant to music RIGHT NOW... Melinda, however popular on the show, doesn't make music that is "mainstream" neither did Clay Aiken or John Stevens (was he the red head who sounded like Sinatra?) Chris Sligh and JPL didn't last long enough on the show to build a big enough fanbase/ strong enough musical personality to build upon after Idol... the only one I don't understand is Elliot because he is alot like Matt and is still relevant to what the trends are in the music biz today... the reasons why Chris D., Kelly, Carrie, and to a certain extent David Cook are successful is that they had a musical identity on the show, we knew who they were and they are all relevant (that's the reason why Carrie is the most successful, IMO, because country sells ALOT) the one thing that I think Matt really has going for him is, like her or not, Kara Dioguardi... she's more credible than Randy and Paula in the music business and more willing (at least the impression I get from her) to help the contestants out after the show than Simon... and despite the shiteous winners song she co-wrote this season, she does have clout in the biz... you need much more than just publicity to get your record played.. first you need the big wigs while making your record and I think Matt has the talent and ability to attract those kinds of people... if Jason Castro can get signed by Atlantic so can Matt (and I dont mean that as a slight to Jason, I LOVE HIM!, but after awhile, he kind of became a train wreck on the show) Kelly, Carrie, and Chris all had the songwriters and producers that are making hits right now behind them.... so maybe Matt will to! I hope this didn't sound like I'm trying to be this music expert, I just really have all the faith in the world that Matt can and will become a very successful musician (maybe not superstar status but very credible!)

and the Randy producing thing.... I think Matt's already said he's had people who want to work with him.... take that for what it's worth because we don't know who they are (hell, it could be some Joe schmo pretending to be a producer).... but I've got faith in Matt... and it's interesting that they didn't mention Danny... I think Kris (obviously) Adam, Allison (who I think will be one of the more successful Idols EVER), and Matt will get deals... the others not so much... maybe Danny but it won't be for mainstream music, it'll be more for a gospel sound... here I go again on the music expert thing... wow, I should just produce Matt's record myself! lol!
Back to top Go down
mattyg93

mattyg93

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Really? Randy wants to work with Lil?
I thought he wanted to work with Matt. And why was Scott the only one explaining people he did not get a duet? How about Matt? Did they ever consider asking Gavin to perform with him?
Or someone from The Fray? Really... I can't believe Matt will not get a record deal after this.

I knew Allison would get one, because I heard Paula say in an interview that a lot of producers wanted to work with her. Sigh... I really hope someone picks up Matt.
He is sooo talented.
Back to top Go down
mch

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:28 pm

pebbles87 wrote:
my opinions of Matt's chances in the biz... and I'm an eternal optimist so maybe I can make you feel better Smile

your concerns are all valid but look at the people you've mentioned... I don't mean to be rude to those contestants because everyone is talented in their own right but I just don't see some of them in the same category as Matt... Matt is VERY relevant to music RIGHT NOW... Melinda, however popular on the show, doesn't make music that is "mainstream" neither did Clay Aiken or John Stevens (was he the red head who sounded like Sinatra?) Chris Sligh and JPL didn't last long enough on the show to build a big enough fanbase/ strong enough musical personality to build upon after Idol... the only one I don't understand is Elliot because he is alot like Matt and is still relevant to what the trends are in the music biz today... the reasons why Chris D., Kelly, Carrie, and to a certain extent David Cook are successful is that they had a musical identity on the show, we knew who they were and they are all relevant (that's the reason why Carrie is the most successful, IMO, because country sells ALOT) the one thing that I think Matt really has going for him is, like her or not, Kara Dioguardi... she's more credible than Randy and Paula in the music business and more willing (at least the impression I get from her) to help the contestants out after the show than Simon... and despite the shiteous winners song she co-wrote this season, she does have clout in the biz... you need much more than just publicity to get your record played.. first you need the big wigs while making your record and I think Matt has the talent and ability to attract those kinds of people... if Jason Castro can get signed by Atlantic so can Matt (and I dont mean that as a slight to Jason, I LOVE HIM!, but after awhile, he kind of became a train wreck on the show) Kelly, Carrie, and Chris all had the songwriters and producers that are making hits right now behind them.... so maybe Matt will to! I hope this didn't sound like I'm trying to be this music expert, I just really have all the faith in the world that Matt can and will become a very successful musician (maybe not superstar status but very credible!

and the Randy producing thing.... I think Matt's already said he's had people who want to work with him.... take that for what it's worth because we don't know who they are (hell, it could be some Joe schmo pretending to be a producer).... but I've got faith in Matt... and it's interesting that they didn't mention Danny... I think Kris (obviously) Adam, Allison (who I think will be one of the more successful Idols EVER), and Matt will get deals... the others not so much... maybe Danny but it won't be for mainstream music, it'll be more for a gospel sound... here I go again on the music expert thing... wow, I should just produce Matt's record myself! lol!

I'm probably just being too pessimistic pebbles87. Reading some of these comments from the person that went to the Grammy Museum party is making me feel much better.

Here's some more quotes from the person from survivorsucks:

Quote :
I watched at a viewing party at the Grammy Museum and the party is still going on at the Nokia Theater. It had been confirmed that Kris, Adam, Gokey and Allison ALL have recording deals in the works that simply need to be signed.

Everyone is very, very happy.

More tomorrow.

Found out why Scott didn't get a duet: he was supposed to sing/play with Billy Joel who cancelled last minute.

All 4 recording deals are within the Idol family labels. But apparently the only LONG term lock-in is for the winner. The rest of the top 13 have a contract that provides a right of first refusal on a first album but they can sign on for more if it is offered. And none of the top 10 can perform anywhere without consent for at least the duration of the tour, if not longer. But the winner's contract is different and longer than the top 10.

So the top four are definately signed. That means whoever is interested in Matt is not 19E maybe? That's good...

More:

Quote :

I heard that people in the business are actually excited about Jason Castro's album coming out in October. He apparently has some good songwriters. One thing I really learned tonight is that it's only half about getting a recording deal. The other half is having a great producer and team of song writers, but that is no different than from film and TV production. You need good writers, directors and cinematographers or even great actors can look like crap.

I like the sound of this. Jason wasn't treated right by the show last year either. If he can get a record contract (with good songwriters, etc) and people in the business are excited about it a year after he was on the show, then Matt's got a chance too.

More:

Quote :

I didn't recognize Justin for the longest time. He is soooo changed. Facial hair, very dark/tanned and sorta Rasta-like hair. I had to be told who he was. He hung out with Kimberly Caldwell. Daughtry was there. Brandon Rogers. Tons of former top 10 contestants. Many seem to work for local TV, radio and music shows or columns and the air was very festive. It was sorta like a feeding frenzy for this year's contestants doing tons of interviews and getting introduced to everyone in A&R, managers, etc. I really think they all won getting to be finalists. Maybe it wasn't like this the first couple of years but now just placing really means something.

Maybe this is why Matt sounded fine about the axed duet thing on his Twitter, because he was rubbing shoulders with potential management and stuff at that party. I hope that's a good sign too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Record deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record deal?   Record deal? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Record deal?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next